“Very poor service” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels in Exeter
lbristol
“Very poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Visited on a Saturday lunch time, expecting the set menu that was advertised online. Instead presented with a menu that was £5 more than stated as it was "Exeter food festival". The waitresses that eventually served us were sadly lacking in the skills of waitressing, to the point of being abrupt and dare I say it "snobby". The idea of ordering wine with an ipad is not to my taste, with poor eye sight and a technophobe to boot. Also, I personally think the staff would look better with a uniform (maybe smart black trousers/skirt), the existing sweatshirt, baggy trousers and trainers looks sloppy.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
MagdalenChpt, General Manager at The Magdalen Chapter, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
I am sorry that you had a bad experience with us recently in The Restaurant. I would very much appreciate the opportunity to speak to you personally about your experience and to this end would be pleased if you could call me at the Hotel on 01392 281000. Please rest assured we are addressing the issues you raised. Thank you. Fiona

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Mayfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

In the past, I've found that the term "boutique", when applied to hotels, means that the rooms are very, very small. This was no exception! The closet was bizarre: inside, it was spacious, but to hang up clothes one had to enter the VERY narrow door, which was tucked in the walk by the foot of the bed, with a crab-like sideways movement. However, and on a positive note, the bed was comfortable, with nice linens, and the staff were pleasant and eager to please. The croissants at breakfast were delicious, though at £7.50 for breakfast one would certainly expect them to be! Generally, a positive experience.

Room Tip: I certainly wouldn't recommend room 214!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review and I am pleased in the main you enjoyed the hotel. We do have other room categories that I am sure you would find more spacious for future stays. I hope we can welcome you back again soon. Kind regards, Fiona
Bideford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Perfect hotel for visiting Exeter. Lovely staff and everything you need. We had been sampling food and wine all day at the Exeter Food festival so just shared a pizza in the hotel bar in the evening. It was delicious. The bar and lounge areas are very comfortable and relaxing. Room are quiet.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and indeed the food festival. The festival has become a great event that we look forward to every year. We hope to welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards, Fiona
Exeter, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We did not stay but had booked dinner. This place looked beautiful and stylish and I was really looking forward to the meal. The food itself was excellent but the whole experience marred by poor restaurant service.
We made 3 attempts to order wine to accompany the meal, including one of the requests being directed to someone who appeared to be the nearest person to a Maitre d', Eventually, after one wrong order, it arrived- when I had nearly finished.
No apology.
After desert we were asked if we wanted anything else which we did not but were comfortable and still chatting. One would have expected the staff to wait for us to ask for the bill, but rather faster than the serving of the wine, the bill was promptly and unceremoniously plonked down on the table without even an attempt at any point to ask if everything was ok.
On looking at the bill, we had been charged for drinks we had not had, but although this was adjusted when we very politely pointed it out, not one word of apology or expression of any concern.
If I had invested in this beautiful place with so much that is right about it, I would be horrified.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and I am very sorry that you experienced poor service in The Restaurant. We are working hard to resolve these service issues and please rest assured it is work in progress. I am pleased you enjoyed the food and I do hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back again. Kind regards, Fiona
Somerset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for my 41st birthday. It didn't disappoint; upon arrival we were greeted by very friendly and welcoming staff, and given a iPad so we could find out more about the hotel and what it had to offer. We had a feature room which was beautifully presented and spacious. We took a dip in the pool, a very nice feature, and had a cocktail before dinner. It was a Friday night and busy in both the bar and restaurant, it all had a nice buzz and feel to it. Dinner was good, my wife and I felt the menu had too fish-based dishes but that's simply down to our taste, and we enjoyed the food. We walked into the centre of Exeter for a few drinks (the Cosy Club is not far at all and that also had a lovely atmosphere). The hotel is well situated for both the centre and the quay.

We slept very well despite being in a room near the road, the bed was lovely. The restaurant is a lovely space when the sun is shining, although the full English disappointed a bit (I would have preferred better sausage and bacon).

Throughout the stay the staff's demeanour was excellent, the presentation of this hotel is done very well, and overall I would definitely recommend this hotel and hope to stay again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We stayed on one of the sunday night specials where spend £75.00 (incl drinks) in the restaurant and get this taken off your room rate. We were in a superior room - although still consider it on the small side but it was lovely and in one of the bay windowed rooms overlooking the garden. Monsoon Shower in bathroom fantastic as was free mini bar - after all its FREE!!! IPAD touch very trendy. Reception were fantastic as when we arrived room not ready, so lady got us details of films and where to shop, so went shopping and saw a film. When came back luggage in room so got ready for dinner. The food and service in restaurant good and considering both had a 3 course meal and a bottle of wine, with superior room, free mini bar and breafast for less than £150.00 - I'd say great value.

The hotel rooms are on small side but it is a great location - walking distance to everything. We found service great and lucky enough to get a parking space - go early ie checkout time and you just may be lucky.

Next time going to Devon/Cornwall will definitely think of staying again.

Room Tip: Pay for a larger room and go for one of their specials to get value.
Harrogate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I loved this hotel. A lot of attention to detail has clearly been put into fitting out the rooms. Lovely comfortable beds with quality bed linen, robes, fluffy towels, Nespresso coffee machines , half pint of REAL MILK provided in room for tea/coffees & complimentary drinks in the in room mini bar/fridge. Staff were also really helpful and friendly and public areas particularly the garden were charming.
However I ate dinner in the restaurant with colleagues & while the meal was pretty good, the service was pretty dire. There seemed to be a mix up & we waited ages for our food. We were offered a post dinner glass of prosecco although since 2 of the 3 in our party were not drinking, it perhaps wasn't the most appropriate apology for the delay! Waiting staff were friendly but rather amateurish.
Some of the same issues with restaurant service were apparent at breakfast too & I had to remind staff I was waiting for my coffee & toast. Having said that when it and breakfast itself arrived it was excellent.
Despite my reservations about restaurant service I've still given this hotel 5*s because I did really like the hotel & I still enjoyed the dining experience despite everything.

Room Tip: I had a standard room at the front of the building and it was lovely but the rooms at the back would...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Magdalen Chapter? Share your experiences!