“Brilliant Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Fleet, United Kingdom
“Brilliant Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here for one night during a visit to Exeter and absolutely loved it. The hotel has been lovingly restored and is very cool and modern but still remains warm and cosy. The reception staff were friendly and quickly checked us in and showed us to our room.

We had only booked a 'basic' room but this was still a good size, well decorated and quiet. The room was made even better with a complimentary mini-bar, use of an i-pad (room service, music player, hotel details etc) and a decent tv.

My girlfriend had a full body massage in the spa and was really impressed by it (she is a beauty therapist too so this is high praise!). Whilst she was having that I visited the indoor/outdoor pool which was great. All towels and gowns etc are provided.

The location is excellent, easily reached from wherever you are traveling from and only a 5 minute walk into the city centre. There was no onsite parking but there was plenty easily available in the car park opposite.

We plan to visit again later in the year and will definitely be staying here again. A great hotel!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Windsor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed on business for one night. The hotel is as cool as the pictures make it look. The decor and furniture are just the right side of retro; I'll certainly be stealing ideas for my house!

I received a warm welcome from the casual but super efficient staff. I'd booked a standard room on their midweek spa treat package, B&B with a half hour treatment and £20 towards dinner.

I was shown to my room, which was very pleasant and roomy. However, they'd put me in a disabled room, which although was perfectly fine, it didn't have a bath and was purpose built, with everything at lower height. I asked if I could have a room with a bath and was immediately moved. It must have been a complimentary upgrade, but they never said. It was amazing. Complimentary mini bar was a delightful touch!

The spa and pool are beautiful. The back massage included in the package was definitely the best I've ever had!

If I had to critise anything, it would be that the bathroom could have had a shelf to put toilettries on. One last thing was that I wasn't aware the £20 towards dinner was for food only, so had a little surprise when I had to pay for the drinks I'd had (I'd limited what I ate so I could utilise the full allowance!) No big deal. Food was great, both in the evening and in the morning.

If I'm in the area again, I will definitely stay here!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

All recent comments are fair. Great hotel and spa. Friday evening 4-7pm was 'Friday Fizz' ie half price champagne and prosecco. The bar area completely filled up and we joined the throng! Mini bar, ipad and newspaper are all in.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Start to finish a great stay. Booked a superior room and found we had been upgraded to a feature room, so no complaints. Staff were friendly and we were shown to our room. Enjoyed some drinks next to one of the open fires prior to going out for a evening meal at the nearby walkable abode restaurant, and we returned for drinks after dinner. Breakfast was clean and healthy with lots of choice.

Room Tip: We didn't have a room to the rear of the hotel but the rear rooms will have a view of the garden...
North Bovey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

If you don't have an iPad borrow one. Even the wine list is on one. Frankly it's twee and irritating. The staff are casually dressed in a compulsory way and the public spaces are full of the aspirant cool..
...however, it works. Just. Food's good, rooms excellent, spacious and quiet.
But it is expensive and the service is good.
Tip: ask a Guest with an iPad why they didn't buy a Samsung. Then duck.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Tewkesbury
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in February. Parking is very limited on site but there is a pay and display car park next door and the hotel will provide a parking permit for until 10am I believe. Walking distance to centre of city and cathedral. We paid for a deluxe room but were given a free upgrade to a feature room as it was my birthday! Not sure we would pay the full rate for the rooms as they are quite expensive but we paid £150 for the double deluxe and were then upgraded. I believe the room we had was over £200 per night. We ate in the restaurant which was excellent. Large portions and we were unable to eat dessert unfortunately! Breakfast was incredible - lots of choice and nothing was too much trouble.

• Stayed February 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Well my girlfriend and I were staying here as we had an award ceremony to attend at the museum in Exeter. The hotel is wonderfully located for visits to Exetere City Centre.
The hotel is a grand looking place and certainly has that wow factor. We were greeted my friendly staff and lovely open fire places with roaring fires.
The reception area is a little different as it consists of a laptop which friendly staff pull out when requesting to check in.
A complimentary IPad was given to us and we had great fun using their playlist of various music whilst getting ready. Having music whilst in the bath or shower is always a good thing.
The room we had also had various electronic light setting, welcome and night mode were the ones we generally used but again a nice touch to have.
Nespresso machines with more than enough coffee pods were also offered as well as the usual tea tray.
The hotel and bedroom had complimentary REN products and these really are of a very high standard.
The room was very comfortable and would please both business and leisure customers.
The Lounge and library with it vast collection of books are very relaxing and the whole place has some very interesting art. These new pieces of art mised with the old building certainly works.
The Bar is small but again has a good selection of drinks and cocktails. It also has a lovely open fire.
The food here is first class. The head chef has won numerous awards and it clear why he has. We had Lunch at the hotel and for any foodies out there I can highly recommend the Lunch menu. The dinner menu also looked rather Bon too!
The hotel also has a spa and a lovely swimming pool.
This hotel really would please a wide range of clientele due to the wide range of facilities on offer.
I highly recommend this hotel and if you're treating a significant other half then I really do not think you can go wrong.
I just want to try the Cheltenham one now!

Room Tip: The superior rooms (3rd floor) have great balconys over looking the City
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Magdalen Chapter? Share your experiences!