“Good location” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 24 Specialty Lodging in Exeter
Sydney, Australia
“Good location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

Not too bad a walk from the centre city but I really was not a fan of the hostel itself. The place did not feel all that clean to me and the shower was cold and was like a drip. I have certainly stayed in better hostels. However, did feel safe here which I guess is a priority.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Wurzburg, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

I stayed for two nights in this hostel and everything was clean and tidy.
Staff was also really friendly.
However, 1 toilet for one floor, even though there were several on the ground floor, is not enough. One stair was also missing at the loft bed, making it quite hard to climb up.
There is absolutely no reason why you should not stay at this hostel, if you are travelling on budget; i might just have been spoiled by other hostel experiences.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

Globe backpackers exeter is a really good hostel. Its nice and close to town and the quay. Its really clean and the staff are amazing and very helpful. It has lots of information on things to do and I Would definitely come back again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

Great hostel, helpful friendly staff that never fail to go the extra mile to help you find accommodation, jobs, attractions or beer. All the staff are good fun, I can't remember the ginger guys name but he's extremely charming and good looking. Bart and Richard always do their best to make everyones stay as special as possible. Great hostel to find people to drink with or to relax and watch a film in the tv lounge. I stayed in almost all the rooms, all large and tidy and cleaned daily. The place has a great atmosphere probably thanks to the relaxed owner. Only problem was the habitually intoxicated Irishman, harmless and kept in line by the staff. I will definitely be back. Fun. Was. Had

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

The guys at reception were great;very friendly. The hostel is central and very convenient with most things i.e. wifi supplied. Also excellent showers, not something you always find at a hostel.
I used it as my mum is in residential care nearby and this is a lot cheaper then a B&B so I will definitely be back

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

A lot of place, good wifi, kitchen with several fridges, good soft beds for my back, space in rooms, tv in salon. Clean and hot water hot.
Perfect, with a price a little over my usual target.
Ive been in 13 hostels in uk and this one is the best.
Would be back.

• Stayed July 2013
Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Stayed here a couple of weeks ago (returning guest) as it is so close to everything in Exeter. The Hostel itself is very good, and the services are what you would expect in a Hostel. Warm beds, nice bathrooms, Wifi, good kitchen etc.

However while making the booking my girlfriend and I were unfortunate enough to get through to a very young sounding male staff member who declared himself over the phone as the ‘Duty Manager’. My girlfriend made the very simple request of whether or not we would be able to check in 15mins after the last check in time (due to work commitments and the fact we were coming to Exeter by coach). His response was quite extraordinary!

Young Duty Manager - ‘No, i’m going out to get drunk with my sister Friday night so unless you change your coach you’ll have to cancel your booking. I’m only paid until 11pm and I’ll be locking the front door 11pm’
He then proceeded to tell her that he has better things to do on a Friday night then wait up 15mins to check someone in. When she pointed out that this has never been a problem in the past (as we have stayed here before and paid a £10 supplement for late check in) he unleashed a tirade of abuse on her saying ‘If I was kind enough to do you a favour last time why do you expect me to do it for you again, why didn’t you learn your lesson etc etc etc’ My girlfriend is very un-confrontational, so she quietly apologised and hung up.

Not believing my girlfriends story of how rude this guy was, I decided to call back- just to make sure a 15min late check in was definitely a no go. When I said he had just been speaking to my girlfriend about a late check in he realised why I was calling and instantly became extremely loud and aggressive, using numerous swearwords and angrily proclaimed ‘All you people are the same (non-Exeter people?), you know when the last check in time is so why even bother calling back. I’m going to cancel your booking’

I was literally in a state of shock with the language he was using and the way he was speaking to me. I then calmly asked if I would possibly be able to speak to a manager. He told me there was no one I could speak to and he was the Duty Manager and ‘If I’m going to be like that he’ll cancel my booking now and I’ll have nowhere to stay’ We unfortunately had to keep our booking as there are no other Hostels in Exeter.

After much juggling around and changing of plans we did eventually make the earlier coach and arrived in Exeter 30mins before final check in – only to find that the ‘Duty manager’ who felt the need to chastise us over the phone was not even working that night. The gentleman who checked us in was extremely friendly, as were all the other staff members we encountered that weekend. Unfortunately our Duty Manager friend didn’t work any shifts that weekend so I didn’t get to bump into him and say hello (which I was really looking forward to)

This disappointing incident has ensured that we won’t be staying here again. I’m not sure if the owner (who was awesome by the way) realises how this little, anxious, argumentative, clueless, angry man speaks to his paying customers. I’ve worked in hotels before and realise that customers can become irritating with their sometimes outrageous requests, however requesting to check in 15mins after closing should be something quite simple.

Everything else about this Hostel is great - every single other older staff member was polite and helpful and went out of their way to make us feel welcome. It is unfortunate that this 1 incident has ruined it for us.

If the owner is interested in listening to the phone call I had with his ‘Duty Manager’ I am able to send him a copy by email as I made the call from my work phone which records all calls made automatically.

Room Tip: Hope that the Duty Manager isn't working when you call in to make your booking.