“Drinks only” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #194 of 416 Restaurants in Exeter
Cuisines: English
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: 16th century inn where Sir Francis Drake used to frequent.
Biggleswade, United Kingdom
“Drinks only”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

We just popped in for refreshments after the cathedral so can't comment on food. There was a queue to be served as they do not have separate bar staff doing teas/coffees or taking food bookings. The whole of the ladies toilet carpet was soaking wet, literally flooded. Other half said his beer was good!

• Visited December 2013

Richmond, United Kingdom
“A nice surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

My daughter told me that she had heard good things about The Ship and so whilst Christmas shopping we decided to stop for lunch. The pub itself is classic olde England inside and just feels historic and welcoming. The staff were pleasant to us throughout our time there as well as everyone else we witnessed coming in. I was surprised at how large the menu was as I had expected a few items, however this catered for meals from breakfast to dinner and everything in between. Between us we ordered a steak baguette, BBQ chicken baguette and trio of burgers and each one of us left fully satisfied and promising to return. The place was busy and I have no doubt this would be normal due to the standard of food and service however we did not have to wait long for our meals and at no time were left waiting or feeling rushed. All in all a very good English pub, wish great staff and a large and tasty menu.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hitchin, England, United Kingdom
“Poor”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Popped in early evening and found the tall barman telling his female colleague and off duty female colleague how he was "very good at my job", but then proceeded to give me a short pint and not thank me at the end of the transaction.
The pub smelt bad too. I moved on for somewhere mpre appealing and welcoming to ear on my Wednesday evening. ....

Berkshire
“Great pint”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Cannot comment on the food because we only had drinks but it was a great find. Considering it is a Greene king chain pub it was a proper little old boozer. The staff were really friendly and helped us up the little stairs with our drinks and shopping. Served a great pint of peroni.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Typical pub fare”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Stopped here for a quick lunch on a visit to Exeter, traditional olde world pub which my partner likes, i would have prefered one of the many bistros around near the cathedral myself but as i usually get my own way on most occasions i relented. The food was simple and very palatable, plentiful, similar to a Wetherspoons, the wine was acceptable too which suited me. the staff were very pleasant and the bill for both including 2 drinks each was only £22 so not bad at all.
Oh and it was a favourite "haunt" of Sir francis Drake :)

• Visited October 2013