“Sorry, not again.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Travelodge Exeter M5

You added Travelodge Exeter M5 to your Saves list
Travelodge Exeter M5
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Moto Service Area, M5 Motorway | Sandygate, Exeter EX2 7HF, England   |
Ranked #16 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Sorry, not again.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

**This review was written in our room early Feb 2015**

We only just checked in and are already looking for another hotel. What kind of hotel hoping to compete in the 21st century is this backwards? No in room phone, NO public use phone on the property anywhere when I asked about a phone I was told I had to walk to the motorway services and find one there....Really?!

Honestly what hotel doesn't have a phone in the room? God forbid you should have an emergency and need to call 999 and you either don't have a mobile phone or it's not working...”hang on honey sorry you're having a heart attack, I'll run to the services and call for an ambulance from there”

No face flannels (wash cloths) no electronic key cards just old fashioned keys (easy for a thief to copy) I was disconcerted to find my room key also unlocked an outside door. So If my key does that what can other room keys open...my room?. A room booked for two people had ONE bath towel and ONE hand towel and yes apparently a small square of cloth used to wash the face and body is a strange concept to this hotel. When I asked a the front counter about towels and flannels I was told “well we don't actually do wash clothes”

Factor in a WiFi that only lets one device connect when the access code is for two devices. I tried to connect my laptop after my wife connected hers and it said I had exceeded my limit.

Another joyful touch in this hotel is a fire door right outside your room slamming shut all the time. They do make soft self closers for fire doors. I know I used to install them.

When we were there the hotel was more like a playground with hordes of children screaming up and down the hall slamming doors at all hours. This finally stopped at about 1am. The posted signs say to be quite as guests were asleep must have been written in a foreign language as they were ignored. I would have called the front desk but...oh yeah no phones.

We booked a disabled access room and although the bathroom was well appointed it didn't make up for the awful bed. Ultra soft and very low to the floor. People with disabilities need a higher firmer bed to get in and out of. If your in a wheelchair it's best to have a bed that firm and about the same level as your chair for ease of access to the bed and back. The soft sides of the bed made it very difficult to pull my legs up into bed.

If you arrive in your car MAKE sure you register the plate with the front desk or you could end up with a parking fine. See the photo of the parking sign.

But enough of that lets talk bout the good points. The staff were all very nice and friendly indeed. The attached restaurant is also a god send they have a wide range of menu choices and if you don't want to eat there the wait staff will help you back to your room with your meal.

With a few simple changes to this hotel it would be a very nice place to stay the location close to the M5 is handy for travellers and once in your room you really can't hear the motorway.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Newquay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Clean, comfortable and very convenient for the Airport.
Spacious rooms with. Very comfortable beds.
Noise-free although it is so near to the M5. Plenty of facilities on-site including Marks & Spencer.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Barnsley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Pretty soulless but cheap and clean. Hotel staff were friendly at check in and check out. Didn't realise the breakfast was a take away in a box but is was OK to eat as we drove to Bristol. Young guy when we checked in was able to advise that one option was not suitable for vegetarians due to gelatin in one item.
Even though next to motorway was very quiet and we slept well.
Not sure if the bar restaurant is actually part of the hotel (it is attached to it) but we went in for a drink and a snack...was a bit odd full of loud guys watching football..;a family walked in after us and walked out again. Service was haphazard to say the least, ordered some nachos with our drinks, took ages to get the drinks and had to go back and ask for the nachos after 20 minutes as they had forgotten them. Had it not been late and dark would have looked for somewhere else to get a snack and drink.
Glad we didn't decide to take breakfast there the next morning as I imagine we would have been still waiting now!

Room Tip: Avoid the pub/restaurant!
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

A really good place to stay. My wife, sister in law and I stayed last Friday. Everything was of good quality, staff polite and obliging, nice breakfast for a reasonable price. Would definitely stay here again and again.

Room Tip: try and get a room near to Reception. We were in 233 and the walk with a walking stick was fairly a...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Staff very good , meals were good and reasonably priced, slight noise from motorway when windows open . handy for park and ride into Exeter. Save on taxi fare ,just a quarter of the price and fairly frequent.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Shropshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed at the Exeter M5 Travelodge last Saturday and Sunday while visiting family in nearby Honiton. We had paid for an early check-in so got a warm welcome and our room was ready for us when we arrived about 12.30pm. The room was spotlessly clean and had all the basics but you could get additional towels, hairdryer etc from Reception if required. (We asked for extra towels and it was no problem)

It had been a few years since we'd stayed in a Travelodge therefore I was pleasantly surprised to find a restaurant and bar onsite instead of having to go to the neighbouring service station for food. I can't however comment on the food as we'd made alternative arrangements for eating.

I found the bed to be very clean and comfy but my husband woke up with a sore back each day, but that is not particularly unusual for him when sleeping in a strange bed. Our sleep was very interrupted until about 3am on the Saturday night due to noise ... bumping from above, people talking at full volume in the corridor and traffic on the nearby motorway ... but on the Sunday night all was quiet.

Check out on Monday morning was very straightforward and we were thanked and wished a safe journey by Reception staff.

We will definitely consider staying at the Exeter M5 Travelodge again when we are next in the area and we'll treat ourselves to a big grill-up in their restaurant too.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I stayed in the hotel for 10 continuous weeks due to work commitments. I found the staff friendly, informative and extremely helpful. My room was well cleaned every day, the beds were made and fresh towels, tea and coffee were provided.
The rooms have a decent hot shower, a good size tv and are of a good size.
The staff were quick to answer any questions I had and gave me advice on the local area.
The attached bar and grill has a good, reasonably priced menu and friendly staff.
I'd definitely recommend staying there.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Been to Travelodge Exeter M5? Share your experiences!