“new discovery” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“new discovery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I was on a 49 days European tour and England was my second last stop. Since I don't have experience a seaside tour I decided to visit Plymouth and I also dropped by Exeter and was recommended by a Malaysian student of a special sushi restaurant. The Steaks N Sushi Restaurant and the sushi is unexpected. Its was very fresh, tasty, authentic and original; one of the best sushi outside Japan.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
“Now this should be number 1!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Perfect from start to finish, they were very busy and explained there might be a delay in service, cannot fault the food, atmosphere and the service was excellent the waitress who served us should give classes to the other restuaraunts in the area. Yes is a bit more expensive than others but well worth the money, many thanks to a fantastic night.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dawlish, United Kingdom
“perfect.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

What a find, wish I know this was here from when it opened 2 years ago.
I took my son and girl friend out to lunch this week all of us loving Japanese food so I thought we would try after reading the reports on it. We loved every thing we were served and could not pick a favourite dish as they were all perfect.
Cant wait to go back for my sons birthday treat soon.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Very average- I don't understand the recurrent ranking”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

I was visiting recently to Exeter and was excited to see such a highly regarded Japanese, however the food is of very average quality and is actually more expensive than some London restaurants that are far nicer. Service average too- enjoyed maybe 1 dish out of the 6 I ordered

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Excellent yum yum delicious!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I went here with my girlfriend on Sunday (23/09) based solely on the trip advisor reviews - I’m a fan of sushi and meat generally which made Steaks N Sushi stand out! Having checked the menu in advance, I knew straightaway that the best option (for us, as my girlfriend hadn’t had sushi before) would be the 6 course tasting menu for £25 which has a lot of variation.

When we sat down, I didn’t really know what to expect – it also took a while for the first course to arrive (I appreciate everything is cooked/made fresh) but when it did – the miso soup with scallop – I knew we were in for a treat.

What followed was some of the best food I’ve eaten out for a long long time. The miso tasted better than I’ve had before (enhanced by the scallop) the salmon sashimi was really fresh, the (big) king prawn wonton was crispy not oily and the chicken skewers were sweet and another different flavour. When we got to the main, we got one plate of sushi and one pork katsu curry and shared both. Again, excellent, fresh, flavours and the nigiri made what I’ve had in London restaurants before look like a joke. Soft sticky rice and big chunks of fish, it was very good. Finished off with the palate cleansing green tea ice cream, all the flavours worked so well together.

It helps that the owners (a couple) work there – one cooking, one serving – and when we had finished, they came over and were very friendly/chatty and said next time we go, they’ll be happy to make suggestions for something different from the menu. The steaks look fantastic so I already know what I‘m having next time! From what I had though (and also based on the other customers in the restaurant at the same time) I’ve got faith that all the food is fresh, authentic, well-proportioned and high quality.

It’s not necessarily a cheap meal out, but both of us leaving content after such a fantastic meal I was just happy I’d found the place and we already can’t wait to go back to try more from the menu – which for £50 plus drinks probably makes it a bargain.

• Visited September 2012