“Champagne bar - nothing was too much trouble” 4 of 5 stars
Review of ABode Exeter

You added ABode Exeter to your Saves list
ABode Exeter
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cathedral Yard, Exeter EX1 1HD, England (Formerly Royal Clarence Hotel)   |
Ranked #16 of 30 Hotels in Exeter
Kettering, United Kingdom
“Champagne bar - nothing was too much trouble”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We visited the champagne bar in 'Abode' - The Royal Clarence - opposite the Cathedral one Saturday afternoon. It was a last minute birthday treat while walking by to have a drink before moving onwards through Exeter.

I don't like to walk in to hotel bars when I am not staying at the hotel but my parents had had their wedding reception there many years ago so that was the particular motivation for a change in habit! The lady at the bar was very welcoming and nothing was too much trouble.

I initially asked if they had any beer on draft and they did not. She offered to go around to their sister pub (next door?) to get me a pint! We then decided it must be champagne and didn't want to be too much of an inconvenience in any case. We felt hungry so asked if there were any bread options. The same lady at the bar brought us two bowls of nuts immediately (without charge) and also offered to ask the restaurant if they could accommodate our bread request. These simple things were so considerate that I had to write even though we did not stay at the hotel.

The bar is small but comfortable and very welcoming.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear ‘SiJo2011’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, it is good to hear you received such excellent service from my Team in the Champagne Bar and will share your comments with them.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Matt Collins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Birmingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We have just returned from a Saturday night stay. The main purpose of our visit is to see our son who is studying in Exeter. During the past 18 months we have stayed here many times, and have to say it just seems to get better.

The rooms are spacious, if you upgrade, the beds are comfortable and overall the hotel, we think is faultless. It is in a perfect position, being on the Cathedral green. The staff are always very courteous and cant do enough for you.

Nothing more to say other than would recommend this hotel to anyone.

If you venture to Exeter, dont miss out.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear ‘jamesavfc’

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review, I’m so pleased you all enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Swindon, England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I booked in for 2 nights whilst working in Exeter. After firstly struggling from the multi storey carpark ( 0.5 miles away) to the hotel, i went to my room to find that when i opened the window it was directly next to the kitchen fans and also plastered in pigeon faeces as was the window.
I set up to try and do some office work when loud music started blasting in from the pub next door.
I contacted reception to ask if i could be relocated because the noise from the bar and the fan was intolerable, I was informed that my only option would be to upgrade.
I managed one very long night with the kitchen fans starting up early the next day but decided I would rather commute 2.5hrs each way for the remainder of the week.
i explained the reason for leaving early and had no apology, just an "ok" and no movement on offering a refund for the second night.
DONT STAY HERE!

• Stayed October 2013
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear ‘msmith1306’

Thank you for your review, in the very first instance please except my apologies for the disappointment received whilst staying with us.

Clearly the response you had from one of team is unacceptable and apology is the least I would expect. I regularly meet with our young Reception Team and will fully investigate your comments and ensure that future comments are dealt with in professional manner.

There is little I can do in terms of the car parking arrangements at this time, the closest car park with outside space and Multi story is Mary Arches, a short 5 minute walk (0.2miles) with the option dropping off your luggage with a 30 minute grace period.

Once again please except my apologies and If you do have a need to return to Exeter please contact me directly and I will personally ensure you have an enjoyable stay and compensated accordingly.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

After finding a room whose size suited us we settled in for our 3 night stay. Our 1st night was a Sunday and our dining experience was far from the best as most things on the menu were not available .
The rest of our stay was just perfect

Be aware basic graded rooms are very very small, maybe ok for overnighters but not if your stay is longer. We upgraded to the next band but it cost us more.
Breakfast each day was as good as any good hotel.
All in all, a lovely 3 days and we will be back for our 3rd visit next year.
The staff are all amazing and obviously have had training and love their jobs.

Room Tip: A room facing the Cathedral is a nice bonus
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear ‘MargaretH679’

Thank you on behalf of the Brownsword family for your review, I’m so pleased you enjoyed your short break with us and will share your comments with our Team.

We would always recommend for longer stays choosing one of larger upgraded rooms many of which have fabulous views over Cathedral Green.

I look forward to welcoming you back next year.

St. Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I was here on buisness with colleagues. We had a conference meeting and stayed overnight.
Firstly the hotel staff were exceptional. You are greeted with a smile and they all speak English with an English accent and not pretend to put on a thick French accent as more and more hotels in England do these days. The conference rooms are unique, ours overlooked the courtyard and the Cathedral. The bedroom was small, no bath, but the shower was bigger than most. The bed was comfortable and they offer you unique little treats like fresh filter coffee in your room. There is a functional gym which you can access 24/7 with your hotel room key. I found this most convenient. The breakfast was not the biggest spread that I had faced but it was good quality. They bring you toast which makes a change from having to slowly stand and watch as you try and heat your own on those revolving toasters. I will definately come back here and would recommend as holiday hotel as well as business.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear ‘Sal N’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I’m so pleased you enjoyed your Conference and stay with us. I will share your positive comments with the team and look forward to welcoming you back.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed on the 13th the view was no view, it was awful ! On the plus side the bed was great very large & comfortable! the room lacked charm, or facilities ! the sink in the bathroom was tiny, barely room to wash a hand let alone two !! Bumped my head on the glass shelf when trying to clean my teeth ! Took pictures of the rubbishy room & shoddy house keeping (dusty old underwear on the top of the dusty wardrobe ) ! Breakfast was good except hair in the milk jug, I asked for it to be changed they took so long my coffee was cold ! I had such high hopes and quite frankly was left very disappointed and I could say more about the service but to be honest it was patchy & slow. They tried hard failed easy !

• Stayed September 2013
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear ‘snowtimegirl’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Please accept my apologies for the disappointment received whilst staying with us a couple of weeks ago.

I have recently joined the company and whilst there is little I can do about the view in some of our rooms, I have met and discussed your other comments with my new Team here to ensure further checks are made where necessary and additional training.

Once again please accept my apologies and should you wish to return to Exeter in the future please contact me direct so I can personally apologise and show you some of the other Room types and deliver an excellent experience for you both.

Royston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We were in town for a wedding and block-booked four rooms in the Abode, ranging from three 'Desirable' rooms to the top-end 'Fabulous' room. All our rooms had views of the cathedral and every room was beautifully kitted out and comfortable. Our 'Fabulous' room really lived up to its billing - it had a huge bed, a smart bathroom and several comfortable chairs and sofas. There is also an enormous television, loads of storage space and a glorious view.

The Abode is smack in the centre of Exeter and, though it doesn't have its own parking facilities, the hotel's location is otherwise perfect.

The hotel itself is in an old building, has lots of meandering corridors with odd little corners and cubby holes - all in all it's very characterful and really rather wonderful.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for here - the more you pay the better room you get.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear ‘Twopeds’

Thank you so much for such a lovely review I’m so pleased you all enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to welcome you back soon.

Matt Collins

Been to ABode Exeter? Share your experiences!