“A Pleasant stay..” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 30 Hotels in Exeter
Scotland
“A Pleasant stay..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

I was in exeter on business and was staying on the edge of town. I decided to treat myself to one weekend night at the Mercure to be in the town centre and to use the leisure facilities. The room was very comfortable but the bathroom needed upgrading. The staff in the fitness centre and the bar were very nie and the breakfast was excellent! However a coulpe of the reception staff were a little arrogant and unfriendly and the prices are quite high. Despite this I enjoyed my stay and the hotel is ideally located for the city centre!! I must say that I prefer staying at smaller, friendlier, guesthouses but the facilities here were good.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
SouthgateExe, General Manager at Mercure Exeter Southgate Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to the Mercure Exeter Southgate hotel. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments about the Reception Team, which we are addressing. Kind regards, Peter Lister

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Devon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

Tired gym and pool - not 4 star quality at all in my opinion and what I have seen in other places
Manager of said gym/spa not that bothered - also in my opinion
Meals in restaurant expenisve and not top restaurant quality

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
SouthgateExe, General Manager at Mercure Exeter Southgate Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2010
I’m so sorry that you were disappointed by your experience saying with us at the Mercure Exeter Southgate. I appreciate the feedback and rest assured that we take all comments very seriously. We are looking into the matter, but feel free to contact me on 01392 412812 or email me on h6624@accor.com to discuss this further. Kind regards, Peter Lister.
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

I am totally fed up with the hotel. In my opinion the leisure facilities have so gone down hill of late. I tried to cancel my membership by letter on 2 occasions and the hotel say they received neither of them - one was handed in personally to the leisure centre.!!!!!!!how can that have got lost? it beggars belief. This resulted in another months membership being taken from my bank which i am most unhappy about. I cant say I have found the staff that sympathetic to my problem when i phoned today, nor even Head Office in response to my email. I wont ever rejoin the leisure centre and now would have to recommend different hotels, and there are plenty of really good ones, for friends who want a stay in the City.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Thank you for your review. As you are aware we are currently looking into this matter for you and a number of our management have liaised with you regarding your membership in the past week. The Mercure Exeter Southgate endeavour to deal with all the administration in the Health and Fitness club in a timely and efficient manner and are sorry that your instructions were apparantly not received / acted upon as they should have been. Our sincere apologies for this abberation and we will continue to keep you informed. Kind regards Peter Lister General Manager.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

We got married there in May and it couldn't have gone any better. The staff was extremely attentive and helpful and everything went without a glitch. Also the pre-wedding meetings were great and the events team recommended a briliant DJ after ours cancelled.
I can wholeheartedly recommend this hotel!!!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
SouthgateExe, General Manager at Mercure Exeter Southgate Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2010
Thank you for your kind comments and compliments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your special day at the Mercure Exeter Southgate and look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards, Peter Lister General Manager.
lichfield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

We had 3 night break..room on back was very quiet..2nice sash windows which we could open wide..so plenty of fresh air..which we prefer to air con.Linen & towels spotlessly clean..bed changed after 2nd day..good choice of tv channels.Breakfast very good & plenty of willing staff serving.leisure centre with good size pool..which was a bonus.It is a members club as well..so best to pick your time to visit!was quiet when we went in..only got to use 1 evening..as too much to do in day& whacked by time got back to hotel..we had fab weather..which always makes things nicer.Hotel is very close to all the city shops..bus station.We went by train to St.davids..city station is nearer..but bus to centre right outside station..so no problem..short walk from high str. where bus drops you.
the only downside was the fact that our room wasnt one of the refurbished ones & was a bit tired looking..but for us as long as everything clean..that is main criteria..hopefully they will all get renewed soon!we thought it was very good value.Will def. use again..which we hope wont be too long!maybe we will get the better room next time!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
SouthgateExe, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Exeter Southgate Hotel, responded to this review, August 3, 2010
Thanks for your review. I’m glad you had a good stay with us at Mercure Exeter Southgate Hotel and I hope to see you on your next trip. Kind regards, Geoffrey Dawkins, Guest Relations Manager
Stowmarket, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

Spent one night at this Hotel re a family celebration. Booked three rooms altogether and all three were of excellent quality, clean and well maintained. Breakfast again was an excellent experience with plenty of choice, quality was very good and the the service in particular by breakfast staff was fantastic. We did achieve a reduced special deal on one of the rooms due to late booking. Made use of the swimming pool and spa. The Hotel is centrally located for Exeter city centre. If parking at the Hotel you need to be aware of an £8 a day additional car parking charge which I believe is a little unfair for paying guests..

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
SouthgateExe, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Exeter Southgate Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2010
I am glad you had a good time and enjoyed your stay with us at Mercure Exeter Southgate! Hope to see you again. Kind regards, Geoffrey Dawking, Guest Relations Manager
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

I’ve been staying at this hotel on business on a regular basis since Nov 09 and can hopefully speak with experience of having stayed in most of their rooms – and different grades of rooms.

I agree with the sentiments expressed by some previous reviewers who suggested that the standard rooms were a little tired and in need of updating. However, since I have been staying here they have been carrying out rolling upgrades on the standard rooms; the newly decorated ones are much improved. The downstairs communal areas are decked out in a modern, quite quirky style which makes a nice change from the usual anodyne décor of most chain hotels.

The majority of the reception staff are welcoming and helpful and the restaurant also serves breakfast and dinner. I’ve only eaten in the restaurant on a few occasions and had no complaints – the food was pretty good and the service attentive. The breakfast is a self-serve hot buffet with toast and tea brought to tables. You can choose kippers, poached eggs et al which are made to order. The only bad experience I had was with an order of eggs Benedict which was swimming in thin hollandaise! Gents who ‘meet and greet’ at breakfast are superb. Never had room service breakfast but on lazy nights after work have resorted to room service dinner. The menu is understandably limited but where possible the food is served/presented as it is in the restaurant which makes a nice change from the ‘microwave lasagne’ style efforts that you get at some hotels - can recommend the quarter burger…

There is a small but well equipped gym area with heated indoor pool, Jacuzzi and sauna. This facility can get busy at times but is a real bonus. Sauna has recently moved to the pool side area and is now mixed sex. Treatments etc are on offer but not used these – there are some aqua gym classes etc available too.

Standard rooms are not large so would recommend upgrade to prestige if you can. Nevertheless the standard rooms are well appointed and much nicer decorated since the renovations. You still get a bath in the standard rooms though some of the showers have not been upgraded which is a shame. You seem to get a better iron in the standard rooms for some reason. These rooms usually have a small coffee table and easy chair.
Prestige rooms have fridge and good air con, plus bath robes and are usually a little larger than the others, some with a sofa bed for extra comfort.
Tea and coffee facilities are included and another bonus are the nice Samsung flat screen TVs in each room with Freeview.
One downside is the intermittent and expensive Wifi- I have solved this by buying a PAYG O2 dongle, still this works better in communal areas than the rooms. Parking is £8 a day.
I’d thoroughly recommend this hotel to business travellers and those visiting the area for sightseeing etc

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
SouthgateExe, General Manager at Mercure Exeter Southgate Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2010
Thank you for your very kind words. They are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourself at the Mercure Exeter Southgate. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Kind regards, Peter Lister, General Manager

Been to Mercure Exeter Southgate Hotel? Share your experiences!