“Relaxed and comfortable stay” 4 of 5 stars

Thistle Exeter City Centre, The Rougemont
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Queen Street, Exeter EX4 3SP, England   |
Ranked #24 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Brixham, United Kingdom
“Relaxed and comfortable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Impressive hotel and grand entrance, very welcoming staff on arrival. Room spotless and well maintained, spacious bathroom, plenty of fluffy towels. Bar - friendly with good atmosphere. Breakfast was self service with plenty of choice of hot and cold options. Excellent central location, for city centre shops, bars, restaurants and railway stations.We would certainly stay again.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Deluxe Room which was spacious.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thistleexeter, General Manager at Thistle Exeter City Centre, The Rougemont, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear DevonDumpling34

We are really pleased that you enjoyed your stay and particularly liked the efficient and friendly staff at the Rougemont.

I hope that we can welcome you back in the near future when you need to take time to relax again.

GENERAL MANAGER

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Greek first
Bedford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We booked well in advance for our daughter's graduation in July and the cost for this advertised standard of hotel appeared reasonable. Upon arrival, we were fortunate to secure a car parking space in the tight modestly sized car park. Service at Reception was satisfactory and we found our way to a small, although reasonably apportioned, double executive room. Looking out on to a dingy backdrop, the problems began with a room temperature of over 38 degrees c; yes I have a room thermometer app, sad but there you go. We found a fan in the wardrobe which helped to stir the hot air around the room but no more. It was a very hot day and night but the temperature stayed at over 35 degrees c all night and we got precious little sleep. There was little that we could do however, although it was galling to find out in the morning from friends that they had slept in Premier Inn at a much lower costs and had AC! Come on Thistle! There was a coach party taking up one room for breakfast which was fine, but breakfast in the buffet area was only OK with horrendous coffee. Incidentally the public areas - i.e. the bar is very poor. We are sorry to be so critical but this standard of hotel needs to know that it is letting itself down and needs to invest in its clientele. Needless to say, it will be Premier next time.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favour and book Premier or other alternatives.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thistleexeter, General Manager at Thistle Exeter City Centre, The Rougemont, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Andy S

Thanks for taking time to provide feedback on your stay back in July.

As mentioned in reviews at the time, the heatwave that we experienced in July was not the norm and the fans that we place in the rooms did try to moderate the temperature in the room.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with the coffee and the public areas. We are constantly evaluating the quality of food and drink that we offer to guests and the taste of coffee has not been mentioned recently. I have mentioned your comments to the Food & Beverage Manager to ensure that the taste of coffee is monitored.

We have been making some positive changes at the Hotel over the past three months since you visited. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the near future for you to see the positive impact to our guests.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I only stayed one night but would be happy to stay there again. My room was small but comfortable. Breakfast was good with friendly and quick service. Location is excellent right opposite Exeter Central Station.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thistleexeter, General Manager at Thistle Exeter City Centre, The Rougemont, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Stephen100

Thanks for your comments - it is great to see that you enjoyed your stay.
I hope that we can welcome you back and you will be able to stay a bit longer to enjoy the Hotel and indeed Exeter too.

Breda, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I have stayed in the Rougemont Thistle 3 times so far this year, once for a funeral and twice to visit family living nearby. This time I stayed in a deluxe room which was extremely large and roomy. I think the room offers good value for money.

There was a desk and leather chair, TV, closet (only with 4 hangers and 1 broken one - room 302 - needs 6 hangers in my opinion, especially if 2 people are staying), a nice bathroom and also a table with 2 other chairs. The bed was kind of lumpy but actually quite comfortable if that makes sense!

The room was clean enough and was cleaned daily. I had hot chocolate, tea and coffee and a kettle and mugs. There were chocolates left on the pillows 3 nights out of the 5. I had an ugly view over the back of the buildings and a patio covered in rubbish, and was woken by building works 2 of the mornings. I also had to use ear plugs to get to sleep on the Fri and Sat because of the banging music from a nearby disco which went on until the small hours. I'm so glad I brought them. I could hear the music through them actually but managed to get to sleep at least.

I wasn't told during check-in that my room was up a flight of stairs after the lift took me to the 3rd floor. It would be better if someone had told me, especially since I had to carry 2 heavy suitcases up the stairs by myself when I found myself there after navigating the maze of corridors. It wasn't worth trekking all the way back to reception with heavy bags to get help, so I had to manage the stairs myself.

The location is wonderful, especially if you want to be near the centre of the city or you want to use the hotel as a base for shopping. The building itself is very old and while that means the odd creaky floorboard you also have wonderful architecture to enjoy, and a nice atmosphere.

I can't write this review without mentioning the terrible meal my mother and I had in the hotel restaurant. We booked a table for 6.30pm on the Sunday and turned up about 2 minutes early. The restaurant was in darkness so we went into the bar to try to find someone. We were told the restaurant doesn't usually open until 7pm (so why take my booking for 6.30 then?) and were seated, just the 2 of us. The speakers were broken apparently so there was no music, it was silent.

I ordered the halloumi mushroom burger and my mother ordered the "sweet tangy salmon" - my burger bun was burnt, the halloumi was cold and hard, and the fries weren't cooked properly. My mother's food was so spicy she couldn't eat it. I like spicy food but my mouth was on fire after tasting one noodle! It didn't even say spicy in the menu. The waitress brought mum a glass of milk to help with the burn, and asked if we wanted to order something else. I ordered the slow cooked beef which was OK and my mum got something with salmon, cherry tomatoes and (nearly raw) asparagus. The second meal was acceptable, not great but better than the first. Either the chef was having an off-day or seriously shouldn't be in a kitchen.

The service was pretty good, but the food was a real let-down. Granted, they took a lot of the cost of the meal off the bill, but I would never eat at Drake's again.

I'd still stay at the Rougemont because it's a lovely hotel but they seem to have one of the worst restaurants ever!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear Vicktel

Thank you for taking time to write an honest review of your stay at the Hotel. It is great to see that you have stayed several times at the Hotel and that we are still your preferred Hotel choice
in Exeter.

You are completely right in saying that our Hotel offers a great central city location and I am really pleased that you like the traditional nature of the Hotel. Whilst I cannot do much about the quality of the central city views, I have reminded the Receptionist who checked you in to remember to offer luggage assistance, particularly if you have to go up the steps to the wing of the Hotel.

I am sorry that you had a poor experience in the restaurant during dinner. I can assure you that it was a small blip in what has become (and mentioned quite often on this website) as a restaurant that provides great food. Corrective action has occured following your meal at the time to ensure that it is not repeated and I am pleased that you both liked the second offerings.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope that we can welcome you back again.

Fowey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Last night of tour, Could not fault Rougemont on any issue, nice touch free chocolet and fruit at check in. Great evening meal, really nice freash fruit sellection at breakfast. Good city tour starting in hotel, adding the history of hotel to that of the city.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thistleexeter, General Manager at Thistle Exeter City Centre, The Rougemont, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Hillhay

We are really pleased that you enjoyed your stay and loved the "Crunchie Friday" and fresh fruit at the Reception Desk. We have got a fantastic location and I am pleased that you like the history of the Hotel - not many people are aware that we used to be a Debtors prison.!

I hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Buxton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

The Rougemont is stylish hotel in a very attractive city. The public rooms are comfortable and inviting and the staff are chirpy and happy. I only stayed the one night in a very comfortable room on the second floor. The only downside was that the walls are thin and we were disturbed at 6.30am on a Sunday morning by the guests in the adjacent room talking and watching television.
We did not have dinner here as Exeter has a really good variety of excellent restaurants. We did though have breakfast and the hot buffet-style was of the highest quality. But why oh why, can they not offer fresh orange juice and a good brown sauce instead of the cheaper alternatives. It just took the edge off a very good breakfast.

Room Tip: ask for a room with thicker walls
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Norman F

Thanks for taking time to write a review - it is good to get honest feedback and I am pleased
that you found the staff to be helpful and efficient.

I appreciate your feedback about the orange juice and brown sauce. This is the first time that we have received such feedback so I will discuss with our purchasing team.

I hope that we can welcome you back soon.

bournemouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Just had a lovely stay at the Rougemont Hotel in Exeter.

The staff are very friendly and Helpful, especially our waiter Ahmed in the restaurant, nothing was too much trouble.
The food was very good, both for the evening meal and breakfast, very good value.
The twin room was basic, but warm, clean and comfortable.
The only downside was the lack of parking, although there is parking nearby.
You couldn't be better placed for shopping, very central, and Exeter central station is pretty much opposite the hotel. Would definetly stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thistleexeter, General Manager at Thistle Exeter City Centre, The Rougemont, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear BournemouthChris

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback - it is great that you had a lovely stay at the Rougemont Hotel.

The Hotel does have 26 carpark spaces at the front of the Hotel, so spaces are on a first come, first served basis, however due to the Hotel's central location there are several carparks within a few minutes walk.

I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the near future.
GENERAL MANAGER

Been to Thistle Exeter City Centre, The Rougemont? Share your experiences!