“Good Hote” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Good Hote”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Booked the Rougemont as it was close to the venue we were attending for an exhibition. It had a good city centre location. However, the first thing that we were greeted with was all the smokers, staff and guests, outside and in front of the the front steps to reception.

The reception staff were very efficient and our room (located on the first floor) was very clean and comfortable, although extremely warm, in fact too warm overnight.

However, the TV remote did not want to work properly and it took me ages to get to the channel I wanted. The staff did not seem to have a local knowledge when asked where we could get the brakes on the car fixed, the answer was that our breakdown service should cover that! The wifi that had been advertised as free was in fact only free to "Signature" users.

Overnight the hotel was quite noisy with revelers from a ball earlier. I was aware of people shouting/talking until at least 6 am. Would probably not have been a problem if I was not already awake due to the room being too hot.

Drinks in the Drakes Bar were REALLY expensive £15 for two glasses of wine (which we refused to pay).

Breakfast (serve yourself) was mediocre, the white on my fried egg was not thoroughly cooked.

All in all I felt not good value for money.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thistleexeter, General Manager at Thistle Exeter City Centre, The Rougemont, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Susi J

I'm sorry to hear that you do not feel you received value for money during your recent stay with us. Although i can assure you that no hotel staff would have been smoking outside the front of the hotel, i realise that guests and conference delegates smoking by the entrance certainly doesn't create the kind of great first impression we would hope to achieve here at The Thistle Exeter City Centre, certainly something we will monitor.

I was surprised and disappointed to hear that the staff were unable to offer better knowledge of the local area. All staff receive training and have access to information on the local area, facilities and attractions within Exeter. I will ensure they all receive a refresher on this.

I have discussed all of your comments in the daily management meeting and we will strive to improve what we do from them so thank you for taking the time to pass them on to us.

Craig Findleton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Greek first
Plymouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I arrived at the Hotel to a pleasant greeting but I wasnt given any direction to my room. As soon as I went into my room the heat hit me, I opened the window immediately but it was only half a window so did not open very far. I checked the heating was off but it didnt help that ALL the radiators were on full throughout the hotel. When I complained about the heat in the room I was told I had a fan in my cupboard. I bought a box of choolates and within 6 hours of being in the room they had completely melted. The whole time I spent in the room I had to have the fan on full, even all through the night. I had an awful two nights sleep due to the heat.

I read that Guest parking was available but I was not aware you had to pay £8 for 24 hours of parking. When I booked the hotel it stated free WiFi but instead If you didnt want to sign up to Signature you couldnt get the THIRTY minutes free so I had to pay £10.00 for 24 hours use, I find this unacceptable especially when I have stayed in two B&B's and a large hotel in Exeter and the WiFi was FREE. As I was in Exeter for work I spent the evenings in my room and could not believe that the TV had basic channels with E4 but NONE of the plus one channels that come with Freeview Channels.

Whilst the staff were friendly I would rather choose a hotel that did not charge for something as simple as WiFi and charging for parking.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a large window that can be opened as there is no temperature control in the room...
Dear Csmith2

I was very disappointed to hear that you were unsatisfied with your recent stay with us. I have discussed your feedback with the management team and we will use your comments to improve the hotel and the service we offer here. With regards to your comments on the WI FI within the hotel, I'm delighted to say that WI FI is now available complimentary to all guests staying at The Thistle Exeter City Centre.

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Port Colborne, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

A beautiful old hotel. Six of us were in England for almost a month. Did the Narrow boats down the canals 2 weeks. Rain and mist. No soap, no facecloths. Breakfast was included (really yummy) a buffet. Rain and mist. Train again to Poole, rain and mist (drinks cart) 3 days... Thistle In Poole not as good as Exeter food was. Train again after 3 days on to Brighton the Grand Hotel where Mrs Thatcher stayed was very prettry and old of course. Again a buffet breakfast included. One thing that has to go is the voice in the elevator, mind the door, we are on floor 2 etc. I would'nt call all the hotels 4 star. Brighton was the nicest....big sitting room overlooking the Brighton Pier and ferris wheel, fresh cooked seafood along the sea wall. Will not go again the weather was not good only 2 days of sun.

Room Tip: The rooms you have to take your chance as they are so old. The Thistle in Brighton's A/C as the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thistleexeter, General Manager at Thistle Exeter City Centre, The Rougemont, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Joyce L

Thank you for the great feedback on your recent trip to the South Coast. It's great you was able to experience so many of our hotels. I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay at The Thistle Exeter City Centre and can only apologise for our unpredictable British weather.

Cockermouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I booked to break up a journey to St Austell & it represented good value. For a Victorian/Edwardian building with lots of period features, it could easily aspire to being a tad more upmarket although it is comfortably appointed and is well located. On arrival, the welcome and assistance from reception was appreciated after an 8 hour drive from the North. Similarly, the restaurant staff were friendly and attentive. I must add that the receptionist on duty (Sat 11th May & Sun 12th) was extremely helpful allowing me to leave my car parked after check out so I could explore Exeter city centre. Car parking is limited at the hotel but there are parking facilities close by. Although I was just using the hotel as an overnight stop, Exeter's city centre has loads of historic sights and plenty of quirky restaurants and bars housed in medieval buildings around the Cathedral. Thankfully much of the city walls and ancient architecture survived extensive bombing during the Baedeker raids in ww2..

Room Tip: In hindsight, I should have booked a double room. I go what I paid for so no complaints.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Thistleexeter, General Manager at Thistle Exeter City Centre, The Rougemont, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear 66Jamesb

Thank you for providing us with such positive feedback. I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and will be sure to pass your comments on to the staff.

Breda, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I chose Thistle mainly because the hotel looked OK on the website and because the price for a single room was good. I was happy with the location and the room was fine. I was surprised there was no temperature control (unusual with a 4* hotel). The bed was a little lumpy and the sheets weren't tucked in at the top so you could see the mattress cover. It's not a major thing but you do expect better in a 4* hotel.

The shower was powerful and hot. The tea, coffee, hot chocolate and biscuits were nice. The TV was a good size and there was a safe in the room. I didn't eat at the hotel at all but I did have a drink in the bar which was fine.

I would not mind staying here again but the fact the WiFi is very expensive means on my next trip I will choose a similar price hotel which offers free WiFi since in this day and age it is shocking a hotel charges for it. I knew the WiFi was expensive when I booked my room but even so, if I find another hotel with WiFi included that will make up my mind.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear Victel

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us. I was pleased to hear that on the whole we were able to satisfy you and will be sure to raise your comments regarding the bed with my head housekeeper. I am also delighted to say that complimentary WI FI to all guests will soon be available at the Thistle Exeter City Centre hotel, so hopefully this will improve and enhance the service we give to our guests. In the mean time though, complimentary WI FI is available to those that signup for our Signature loyalty programme, details of which are available at the hotels reception.

Thank you again for providing such valuable feedback and I hope we can welcome you back again to the hotel.

Northumberland National Park, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Why wait on the platform at Exeter Central Station when you can pop across the road and have a leisurely lunch at the Rougement
Friendly service,quiet comfortable surroundings and a good value light lunch
Sit back in comfortable red leather armchairs and relax
Then back to the scrum of the train

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thistleexeter, General Manager at Thistle Exeter City Centre, The Rougemont, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear Alan C

I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed your lunch here at the Thistle Exeter City Centre Hotel. As you mentioned the hotel is conveniently positioned opposite Exeter Central Station making it an ideal place to grab lunch before, after or even between train journeys. Thank you for taking the time to provide such positive feedback.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Huge reception spaces and grand stairways, but a very small single room, OK for a two night stay but would have felt cramped for anything longer. Adequate bathroom with good hot water supply and towels but a narrow passageway from there to beyond the bed. A built in desk with two drawers, and a small round table made up, with the bed, the remaining furnishings. A.large TV and kettle (with mug, teabags etc.), together with an iron and ironing board and fan (tucked into the narrow built in wardrobe) completed the facilities. Everything worked, the bed was comfortable and wifi (free if you sign up to Signature) reasonably fast.

Room Tip: Single rooms ARE very small
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thistleexeter, General Manager at Thistle Exeter City Centre, The Rougemont, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear 48Gina

Thank you for your feedback on the room from your recent stay with us. I'm pleased to hear that it met your needs.

The single rooms we have here at the hotel are ideal for overnight stays, however if you was planning on staying with us for any longer period of time we would always recommend you opt for either one of our Deluxe single rooms or a standard double simply to allow you that added space and comfort.

Thank you again for your comments, we look forward to welcoming you back here to the Thistle Exeter City Centre hotel.

Craig Findleton

Been to Thistle Exeter City Centre, The Rougemont? Share your experiences!