“Convenient Location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Exeter

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express Exeter to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Exeter
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Guardian Road M5, Jct. 29 | Exeter Business Park, Exeter EX1 3PE, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #10 of 29 hotels in Exeter
Kelowna, Canada
“Convenient Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We were pleased to get off the road after hours in moderate to heavy traffic on a rainy day drive from Peterborough to St. Just. The Holiday Inn Express provided a convenient stopping point on the edge of the city. Large breakfast room doubles as an internet cafe after the buffet closes. Internet is available in guest rooms but the surcharge is surprising at a modern hotel geared to the business traveller. We were a little concerned that our room overlooked a main road and was located directly across the corridor from the elevator but we were not kept awake by noise from either source.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
MeghanWilliams, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Exeter, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Thank you for providing an insight into your recent experience at Holiday Inn Express, Exeter, I am pleased we were able to welcome you to the Hotel.

We do offer our wifi complimentary in our bar and lounge area, which we encourage our guests to use.

I am particularly pleased to hear the outside noise did not disturb your stay and you experienced a good nights sleep.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

556 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
South Wales, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

The room is quite good value but I begrudge paying £9.95 for 24 hours internet in room. The breakfast could have more hot choices, only sausage, baked beans and scrambled eggs. Also a long wait when run out of bread and sausage. I've had a lot better for £70+ a night. Seemed to be less staff on duty since last visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Exeter, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear sabatinos,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and choosing us again. I am sorry you were not satisfied with the cost of our High Speed Internet Access in your room and the breakfast options we offer. We strive to be the best hotel around that provides world class service and excellence. And your feedback is our number one resource on improving the facilities we have to offer to our guest. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to serve you again should your travels bring you back to Exeter, England.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Everything was as expected. Clean, quiet, good beds and shower. Fine breakfast, and a bar available. There is no restaurant, but the Barn Owl Pub Restaurant adjacent is more and better than most hotel restaurants. One slight annoyance was the in room heating air conditioning, which cycled on and off, instead of running continuously. And the built in florescent lights on the headboard of the bed snapped and popped as it contracted while cooling. That was very annoying when I first turned off the lights, but I knew better on night two, and turned it off a few hours before bed. No problem after that. I would certainly return, and the price was right, the staff friendly and for me it was very convenient.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
We really appreciate you taking the time to share your comments, thank you.

I apologise you had some issues during your first night with us, I do hope our team were made aware and could offer assistance where possible.

I am extremely pleased the Hotel met your needs and requirements, you experienced great value and our team were friendly. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Stayed here for work and was surprised how well the holiday inn hotels look as I'd not stayed in for maybe 8-10 years. The check in and check out were seamless from the hotels perspective, only a small mess up from my company in paying for the room slowed me down but the staff were great about it and managed to work past the hurdle. Breakfast and the staff were excellent. I'd definately come here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your honest and valuable feedback.

All of our team here at the Holiday Inn Express, Exeter are committed to ensuring each guest receives a warm welcome and their experience with us is the best that it can be and I am pleased you experienced and observed this.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Express, Exeter very soon.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stayed last Sunday night with my husband and son who was celebrating his 16th birthday , we found the welcome friendly and knew the rooms would not be ready as we were early but they accomadated us and our rooms were done within 30 minutes , We asked for adjoining rooms and were pleasantly suprised at how roomy they were , yes they're basic but comfortable and very cleam and well maintained , We made use of the bar in the evening and found prices to be no more than anywhere else really , We even managed a trip into Exeter which was a 10 minute drive away , my husband and son slept well but I found the beds a little soft but I do suffer with my back and we can't all be the same ! Took breakfast before we left and there was a good variety of food and drinks available , More than adequate for what was needed .. All in all an enjoyable experience and we would definatley visit again .

Room Tip: 260 and 262 were the rooms we had and were situated on the top floor at the end so we had nobody pas...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
MeghanWilliams, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Exeter, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you so much for your feed back. It pleases me to hear that my team and my hotel met your expectations.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Debbie Hamnett
Biggleswade, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Have Holiday Inn Express lowered their standards or is Exeter the exception to the rule?
After a long journey I was made to wait at check in for some time while reception staff had a conversation in the bar area, when I was finally server there was no apology for the delay.
When I went to bed, I found stains and a hair on the bed sheet, I was so tired and couldn't be bothered changing rooms so removed the sheet and slept without it, I complained in the morning and reception were very apologetic.
I chose the more expensive Holiday Inn Express over the Travelodge about a mile away because I expected a better quality hotel, what a waste of money that was.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to have read you did not enjoy your stay with us. I can assure you this most a unusual standard that was you have experienced

I would really appreciate if you could contact me directly on gm@expressexeter.co.uk or by calling the hotel direct and advise me of your check in date which will enable me to address your experience with my team directly.

We do encourage all of our guests to call reception any time from the phone in your room, day or night if there are any problems during your stay. My team would have immediately offered assistance.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Debbie Hamnett
Rancho Bernardo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

An easy to find, clean and modern hotel, just off the motorway.

PROS:
~Complimentary self-serve continental style breakfast including fruit, yoghurt, cereal, coffee, tea, juices, pastries, toast and hot English breakfast.
~Very clean, bright and modern rooms and public areas.
~Lifts (elevators).
~Free ample parking.
~Pleasant staff.
~Quiet.
~Kettle and beverage packets in room.
~Flat screen TV.
~All the basics you need for an overnight stay.
~Decent value for money.
~15 minutes to Ottery St. Mary where we visited friends (otherwise, I wouldn't bother visiting!)
~Grassy view out the window.

CONS:
~Have to hold down button on hairdryer the entire time you use it which is slightly annoying.
~This is a basic hotel. If you are looking for high-end luxury, with all the bells and whistles and table service, this isn't your kind of place!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express Exeter? Share your experiences!