“Fabulous food and support local businesses (who pay their taxes)” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British, Café
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Cornwall, England
“Fabulous food and support local businesses (who pay their taxes)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Having read the stories of tax-avoidance by major businesses, I've decided to ensure my hard-earned cash remains in my local community. So a trip to Exeter yesterday was the first chance to road-test my 'indie' spending habit.

We went to the Plant Cafe for lunch and it was a tremendous success. It was a cold day and so wonderful to walk through the door into the warm, welcoming environment redolent with such lovely cooking smells. My vegetable tart was brimming with roast beetroot, caramelised red onions and brie, served with a fantastic mixed salad. It was so tasty. My friend chose the soup of the day, which was equally lovely. Well done Plant Cafe, we will be back.

PS. Last trip we ate at Ask. It was nowhere near as good, more expensive, and the service was appalling. So a great first result. Better food, cheaper, and helping a small business that definitely should be supported to keep going.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

United Kingdom
“My favourite cafe in exeter”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Their soups, tarts and salads are always amazing and the selection changes daily. Examples are Moroccan chickpea tart, coconut lentil soup, falafel and hummus pitta. It's all nutritious and fresh and many of the options are vegan too. The best bit is the vegan cake selection though. The chocolate cake is to die for and the carrot cake is one of the best I have tasted!

They have a wide variety of drinks too... Go for the elderflower cordial :)

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hertford, United Kingdom
“tasty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I called in to buy something to eat on the train home. Ciabatta with cheese and apple filling and lemon polenta cake. Both delicious.

Visited October 2012
Totnes, England, United Kingdom
“Good veggie cafe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Had lunch here this week, food good as usual - one of us had an interesting panini, I had homity pie and salads, all good. Great emphasis on locally sourced ingredients and drinks, also my meal was vegan. I find the staff to be mostly very helpful and friendly and we have now been coming here for more than four years. The cafe is very small and can feel cramped inside but once you know that it doesnt matter. Cakes are very delicious but I abstained this time! They also do a very good Chai Latte.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Good food, Grumpy staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Maybe it was just a bad day but all three members of staff failed to connect with three of us who went for a meal at lunchtime.
The food is good - but slightly stingy on the portions for the money.
But I won't rush to go there again because I was not made to feel welcome - nor were thopse who dined with me.
For us its about more than food.

• Visited September 2012