“Very mixed views - would try to stay elsewhere if possible” 3 of 5 stars

Number Twelve
12 Queens Terrace, Exeter EX4 4HR, England   |
Ranked #46 of 70 Exeter B&B and Inns
Reading, United Kingdom
“Very mixed views - would try to stay elsewhere if possible”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

We had a double and a twin room here. Location was great - I think we paid full price (£75 per room, including breakfast). However, the beds were awful. Ancient, the double sagged and the springs were totally shot. My teens said the singles were rock hard.

A minor irritation is that the building at Number 12 has no reception, so you have to check in across the square (only annoying first time as you have all your bags out and then have to trog around sorting this out - on a second visit you'd know).

On the plus side... Great location, nice and close to good restaurants (Give Harry's Grill Bar in Northernhay place a visit) but reasonably quiet.

Really great staff. We were last to breakfast. It was served quicky, tasted great, the ladies working that day had such great attitudes. even though we were last to leave they were still checking to see if they could bring us more tea or toast.

Finally, they provide parking permits. i hadn't read this and had paid for my own but now you know, get one when you check in.

To the owners - get new beds! It lets your place down a lot. I really would only come back if other places are fully booked.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

25 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
St Helens
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

I was down in Exeter on business for a night and needed somewhere to stay that was handy for St David's station and close to the town centre. Number Twelve fitted the bill. Found it easily enough - takes about 10mins to walk from the station - and having read on their website that you check-in over the road at The Georgian Lodge that's where I headed. I was checked in quickly, given details of breakfast (which you have in the Georgian Lodge) and a code for free Wi-fi plus the key to my room.

The first impression when you walk into Number Twelve isn't great because the corridor is lit by a light on a sensor which doesn't come on immediately. However, my room on the top floor was well lit thanks to a skylight, was spotless and had all the basics (telly with 5 channels, small shower room and seperate toilet, wardrobe, desk and chair).

There were a few minor issues with my room. The mattress on the single bed was very soft and felt like it was well worn, but I prefer hard mattresses anyway so not necessarily a problem for everyone. The shutter on the skylight is electronically controlled and is very hit and miss. Took a while for it to close and the following morning it only opened about 2 inches before I gave up. Oh, and the shower was a Katy Perry - it blew hot and cold - which makes me wonder if there is a general issue with the electrics.

Had a full english breakfast the following morning and it was lovely. I was seated immediately, served promptly, there was a good amount of food on the plate (you can choose between full english/continental and get cereal if you want it before it's served) and it was spot on.

So all-in-all, aside from a few minor niggles, it was a decent room for £52 in a good location for walking to both the station and city centre, plus there is also a pub 3 doors away that serves food. You won't go far wrong if you stay here.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I spent a couple of days there. When I arrived I had to check in their sister B&B just round the corner. I was a bit upset to have to carry my bag through the road to have to come back to this building after the check in, however due to the friendliness of the receptionist who ever offered to carry my bag to the 3 flight of the stairs to my room.

I had a room on the top floor with a lovely view to a small garden and a park just across the road. The room was a reasonable size with a king-size bed, small old 14” TV with 5 channels, and tea and coffee facilities.

The bed was really comfortable with nice soft linen except for the towels which are nice size but a bit harsh due to the past of time.

The hotel issues a permit to park free during the night and there is a cheap car park that you can stay 24 hours for £6.80 (the other costs £10.80), and an internet access code.

Breakfast is also served at sister hotel across the road, it was well cooked and the staff very polite

I been in many hotels in the area with a much higher start rate and price, so I wasn’t expected much but all in all it was a very pleasant surprised. I definitely will stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

booked this at the last minute and dont regret my choice. It was clean and the staff very helpful. the shower room was a tiny bit small, but it didnt bother me as we were onlty there for an evening. the location is great, it's just a short walk into the main shopping area and the cathedral, yet is situated on a quiet street.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

Not expensive but it was warm, very clean and nobody hassled you. We parked outside using a permit given us. It's within easy walking distance of town and breakfast, served in the partner establishment over the road, was filling and served wiht efficiency. No frills, no style but absolutley fine...we would recommend it.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
The world
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2010

Nice,scenic, quiet location, close to the action. Very clean rooms. Good breakfast in lovely dining room.

• Stayed June 2010
Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

Just stayed for a night and found it really awesome. We were given a double room facing a quiet street with very few cars moving in and out as it should be a car park area. The room is not big but really clean and comfortable with a queen sized bed. The design is pleasant looking and there are two beautiful cups with a tray of coffee, tea bags and 2 cute biscuits. Shampoo and shower gel packs are available too.
Check in was easy , at Georgian Lodge, just opposite the road.
The full English breakfast was cooked to order and as I didn't take sausage and bacon, I had one extra fried egg and tomato, which to me was a bonus.
The location is convenient to me when I travelled to the city centre, just less than 10 minutes walk. St David's station is not that far away, either. Since it is the second time I visited Exeter, I had no problem in finding the hotel but if it is your first time, you may need a map.
If we are to visit Exeter again, Number Twelve is our choice, definitely.
At 55 pounds including full breakfast, it is a wonderful choice.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Number Twelve? Share your experiences!