“Fantastic guesthouse with a perfect location.” 5 of 5 stars

The Telstar Hotel
75-77 St. Davids Hill, Exeter EX4 4DW, England   |
Ranked #14 of 73 Exeter B&B and Inns
Hertfordshire
“Fantastic guesthouse with a perfect location.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We've stayed here twice, and every visit is always excellent. Comfortable rooms, a nice scenic location with easy access to the city and station as well as very helpful staff. Great value as well, with an included breakfast which is always delicious - served from 7:00-9:00. Would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Surprisingly good hotel. Large room and bed. Very clean. Has lots of nice touches to make for a comfortable stay. A good breakfast with local food. The hotel is an easy walk to stations and city centre. I would definitely stay here again.

Nashville, Tennessee, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

The Telstar is a generally excellent little hotel with an intimate B&B energy. While it has many lovely features, I must first say that the best thing about it is the breakfast, which is far above average for this category of lodging. In addition to the usuals (coffee, tea, cereals, yogurts, fruits, juices, toast tray, etc), you get a fully cooked breakfast for which you can mix and match a wide range of delicious items to-order, including eggs, beans, sausage, bacon, hash browns, tomatoes, cheese, and I don’t even remember what else! Everything is locally and ethically sourced.

The hotel’s common rooms are really charming and decorated in a kind of vintage-meets-rustic-meets-“eclectic-ironic-urban-hip” (as my colleague put it), so they’re fun to hang out in and chat or get work done. The rooms were clean and cute, the bathrooms had updated and clean facilities and pleasant-smelling products, and the beds were comfortable. From my window, I had a really pretty view out onto the surrounding hills. Amy, Ben, and all the staff were lovely, nice, and accommodating. After vacating our rooms we had a 1-hour wait until we had to walk down to our train, so Amy and Ben served us tea in the beautiful common room.

I was on the 2nd floor (3rd floor for Americans) so the room did get a bit stuffy/warm. I would agree with another reviewer that the walls and floors are thin, so when noise is happening you can hear it. However, this is the kind of place that attracts people who don't make much noise after 10pm, so it's not an issue.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I chose this hotel because it is located next to Exeter St. Davids station (about 5-7 minutes walk) and about 15-20minutes walk to the centre. Although I was only staying for one night, my room was rather large and facing the patio so no street noise at all. Staff was very friendly, a large variety of breakfast to choose from. However, since this is an old house you hear every step from your neighbours,but when booking a hotel like this you should be aware of it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Cheshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed over night at the Telstar to break up a journey from Cheshire to St Ives. Perfect location within walking distance to some amazing shops in Exeter!
The room was perfect and had everything we needed. The wifi was superfast too.
The breakfast room decor was such a treat to sit in, breakfast was served quicky.......the food was amazing quite probably the best cooked breakfast we have had. Well done Amy and Ben the business is a credit to you both. We will be back!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed overnight at this hotel the friendly hosts were friendly and helpful we have stayed in 12 hotels so far and this was by far the best breakfast, really fast wi-fi lovely room with ensuite ,new decor and COMFORTABLE bed,would stay longer next time ,close to the cathedral and station.

Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I stayed at The Telstar for two nights at the start of a recent visit to southeast England. I had not been to the area before and had not even traveled to London for nearly 20 years so I spent considerable time in March researching accommodation in Exeter online and in some guidebooks and then checking individual websites. I don't remember how I identified The Telstar, but I focused on the availability of a single room at a moderate price. The photos also reflected an attractive Victorian house with a history of hospitality. Also, I read somewhere that Amy and Ben, the current proprietors, had recently taken over management from her parents and were bringing their updated vision to its operation including eco-friendly adjustments. In addition, I called/international to confirm that St. David's Station and the Cathedral were close and walkable.
All of this proved to be true. My single room was small but priced appropriately AND had been redone in the preceding 6 months or so, with a new double bed which was firm and comfortable with attractive fresh bedding and new curtains. The en suite bathroom had equally recent fixtures. The shower pressure was excellent and hot water constant, and much valued after a long flight and follow-on train trip. Because my room faced the street, there was some occasional vehicle noise, but it neither kept me awake nor woke me up. And, I had put my highest priority on convenient location so being on a well-traveled street was part of that choice.
Both Amy and Ben were helpful and responsive to my questions about walks along the river and taking advantage of the free Red Coat tours at city center. The full English breakfast was very tasty, hot, and prepared to request, The breakfast room was bright, welcoming and the individual tables included a vase replica of bottles and dried herbs. It was an excellent way to start my visit. I would not hesitate to stay there again as it will only get even better with their continued efforts.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Telstar Hotel? Share your experiences!