“The very centre of Dartmouth” 4 of 5 stars

Royal Castle Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 The Quay, Dartmouth TQ6 9PS, England   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Dartmouth
Leeds, Alabama
“The very centre of Dartmouth”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We checked into the RoyalCastle Hotel after walking out of the Travelodge at Paignton seafront (see my review of that). We got the very last room on the fourth floor. The staff here are as good as the best around and gave us a warm welcome (esp. Lucy - Manager with the rescue Saffie). The hotel is dog friendly, the dog's bed and treats provided were a nice touch. The room (31) was small but cosy, maybe a touch expensive at £170 pn but as stated we booked at the very last second. The decor is best described as 'shabby chic' being sympathetic to the history of the building. The location is in the very centre of the town, and the hotel is no doubt the social centre, the bar and restaurant were always full. I would very much recommend this hotel and would stay here again but with a river view room.

Room Tip: The best rooms have river views
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ann I, Front Office Manager at Royal Castle Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely review, and delighted that our rooms, atmosphere and service more than made up for your disappointment over the river. Talking of which, yes, our river-view rooms are indeed larger and with stunning views. Keep a look out for our website for special offers: 342, 543 and 50% off in the 'quiet' season - not that we ever seem to have one! Do hope we will see you again one day. Regards from all of us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I can really recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to travel to Devon. We stayed here for a couple of nights in August. The food was excellent and the service could not have been better. The hotel looks out onto the river Dart so the front rooms have amazing views. We will definitely return in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a river facing room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ann I, Front Office Manager at Royal Castle Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Many thanks for your super review. Please do come back to enjoy the river views, excellent food and our service! Best wishes from all of us.
Warwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Visited the royal Castle hotel for the last murder mystery night where the friendly attentive staff made my first visit to Dartmouth a memorable one and wanting to return. The hotel has lots of history and the mix of guests and friendly locals was a pleasent combination. The beer and food was good at very reasonable prices. The rooms were a fair size and well presented with an extremely comfortable bed affording a great nights sleep after climbing to the attic room, which for me was not an issue but as the hotel has no lifts it would be wise to rquest a room on a lower floor if you have trouble with stairs, When checking out I was told tht they were fully booked for several weekends so it early booking would be advised. i cannot wait to return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Ann I, Front Office Manager at Royal Castle Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Our Murder Mystery evenings are certainly very popular, so we are delighted you enjoyed your recent stay! We shall look forward to seeing you here on another occasion. Best wishes from all of us.
Warwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I spent last night at the Royal Castle Hotel ........ What a gem of a place....a building full of history and charm with great staff giving 1st class service. I had room 31 which was up in the attic - lots of stairs (no lift) but well worth it - a lovely room - had a great sleep.. The two bars are the heart and soul of not just the hotel but the centre of Dartmouth .a great mix of guests and locals .Great beer and food at a good price. I was part of a party of six staying for one of the hotels murder nights- a wonderful night was had by all with the party mood going on into the wee hours. The hotel has lots of offers on like 5nights for the price of 3 so well worth checking before you book

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Many thanks for your super review. Delighted you enjoyed the services and facilities we offer here, including our Murder Mystery night. Do hope we will see you again on another occasion. Best wishes from the teams.
Llanelli, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We stayed for a long weekend. It started very badly indeed when a surly receptionist raced us up 5 flights of stairs to our room in the attic. I'm in my mid 60's and my husband in his early 70's with a heart problem. The woman is clearly in the wrong job (perhaps she should try the NHS!!!)
However, the room was lovely, and every other member of staff we encountered was top notch. Breakfasts were excellent, and we were served in the library as we had our little dog with us. He was also allowed into the bar where we ate our evening meals.
We would love to visit again, but being 5 floors up with no lift isn't practical for people of our age !!

Room Tip: Book well in advance and mention if you have any issues with climbing stairs
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
I am so sorry that you felt rushed going upstairs with one of our reception team. We are so used to galloping up and down the stairs up to 25 times a day, that we should have been more considerate to your needs. I only wish we had a lift to offer you, but the nature of the listed building renders it impossible I'd afraid. I do hope this will not put you off staying with us again - just make sure you ask for a 2nd floor and explain why - then we will not move you to a higher floor. Best regards from all of us.
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Great hotel full of history but Mr Way,why do you allow local drinkers to sit at the bar being loud and making it difficult to find a space to get served.
The only spoiler that we could see.
Visitors seem to spend a lot on meals but some that we saw were clearly put off by the men around the bar who were very vocal on drink and also made an unpleasant atmosphere. This not a one off either.
Apart from this the best in Dartmouth.

• Stayed September 2013
So sorry you found some of our regular local visitors a little loud, and monopolised the bar area making you feel uncomfortable. Please be assured, they mean well, they are just creatures of habit and like the same stools! I hope this will not deter you from visiting us in the future. Kind regards from everyone.
Southampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I have stayed at the Royal Castle countless times over the past 12 years. The rooms are lovely, although an inside room can be a bit noisy. The food has just gone downhill, we ate at the bar and I had the sausage and mash, the sausages were hard at the ends, and the mash was obviously reheated, not good we also had fish and chips, the fish was awful the batter was soggy and the mushy peas had hard bits in them. Only ate half of if. The people opposite us complained and were given another meal and vouchers. I just wanted a decent meal. I love the hotel and will definitely stay there again but won't have the bar food.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
I am so sorry you were disappointed with your bar meal during your recent stay. Like the other couple that night, I do wish you had said something to one of the staff. This would have given us the opportunity to put things right for you at the time. However, I am pleased you enjoy the accommodation here and as a result we shall look forward to seeing you again. Kind regards from all the teams.

Been to Royal Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!