“Historic Heaven!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 6 hotels in Dartmouth
Grande Prairie, Canada
“Historic Heaven!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Such a nice one day stay, easy parking, had a wonderfull experience checking in, the lovely lady from South Africa was s dream to deal with. Soon I was led to my room on or about the third floor, a huge king sized four poster awaited my slumber. The floors are a bit uneven, and navigation somewhat tricky as the years, decades and centuries have changed the interior. The WiFi did work for me, but higher up it becomes spotty. The bars are great, delicious local beer on tap.I did not eat supper there, but breakfast in the Grill room was amazing, I had the Castle special, loved it and the coffee was dark,strong and dynamic!
About my only concern was fire, and getting out should this occur?

Room Tip: Be nice to have a room that faced out.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Ann I, Front Office Manager at Royal Castle Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for such a lovely review. Delighted you sampled the local beer, and enjoyed our famous Grill Room breakfast! Have no fears concerning fire - we are well trained in fire evacuation procedures and have regular alarm testing - and sometimes even unscheduled, due to toast or teacakes with the wind in the wrong direction! Regards from all of us.

430 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Kingsbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I have visited the Royal Castle on many occasions; the lunchtime roast cooked over an open fire always goes down a treat! The staff are incredibly friendly and the bar always generates a good atmosphere. (Not to be missed, if visiting Dartmouth)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
So pleased to hear you enjoyed our Monday to Thursday winter spit roasts - they are always so popular, along with our Sunday carvery. Do hope you will come and enjoy our food and our service again in the future. Kind regards from all of us.
Taunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

A great hotel with a great location. Valet parking and lovely rooms. We were able to have breakfast in the room which was very romantic. There was a bit of confusion on the room that we booked. We wanted a room with a jacuzzi bath and didnt seem to get one. Management sent us a bottle of champagne to the room for the inconvenience. The restaurant in the hotel was delightful. very impressive, great sleep! Helpful staff

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Ann I, Front Office Manager at Royal Castle Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Many thanks for your lovely review. Sorry about the jacuzzi - I wish we had space for one in every room, but glad you enjoyed the other bubbles instead! Do come and see again another day. Best wishes from all of us.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a nights stay here. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel. We were greeted by a very friendly and helpful receptionist who immediately arranged for our car to be parked. Our room, overlooking the harbour, was spectacular with lovely decor and a jacuzzi. We ate at the Galleon bar in the evening and had the most delicious pork, the service was great.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ann I, Front Office Manager at Royal Castle Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to write such a lovely review - delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope to see you again another day. Best wishes from all the team.
florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Six of us (three couples) were looking for three nights in Dartmouth - and we looked at some of the B&B's and small little places and they were £75+ WITHOUT breakfast - whereas booking online at The Royal Castle, the price for a room for two with breakfast was £119 - and when you take into account the incredible location, no long walk uphill (which can be pretty steep, if you're not familiar with Dartmouth - it's VERY hilly), there really is no better alternative - so we decided on the Royal Castle Hotel and let's just say, that was the best decision we made. To summarize, we initially stayed there because of the convenient location, but it was such a wonderful stay with great food and excellent service - so that in future, we wouldn't even consider staying anywhere else. It FAR exceeded our expectations! The hotel isn't a great little hotel because of the location, but because it's a grand little place - service is excellent, the staff could not be friendlier, the roaring fire in the cosy pub is exactly what you'd imagine when you think of a wonderful pub - food at lunch and dinner was excellent (everyone else had roast beef and yorkshire puddings and they said they were excellent - I'm vegan so I had houmous on crusty bread which was also superb. It's always packed, always a good crowd, they allow dogs in there too (in a certain part of the pub) which I love - and it's just an excellent place. The rooms are pretty varied - we got to see three different types (all the same room rate) and ours unfortunately was the smallest - but very comfortable indeed and had everything we could possibly need. The first night though was not good because somehow they had put the wrong size sheets on the bed (too small) so they wouldn't tuck in and I ended up with all the sheets pulled down and sleeping on a bare mattress with the linen all crumpled into a ball - rotten night's sleep - but I told the front desk first thing in the morning and for the next couple of nights, the bed was made superbly, no problem with the sheets at all. My husband complained that the mattress was too soft and admittedly we both did have a bit of back ache in the morning, but that's the only complaint. One of the other rooms was facing the inside central area of the hotel, so that their windows opened inside the hotel (not in an outside facing area) - and it was a huge room with a four-poster bed -and they absolutely loved it. The other couple had one right on the top floor, up the extra set of stairs and it was just fabulous - spacious and wonderful - so my husband and I definitely got the smallest of the rooms on offer. But that didn't matter, the rooms were very comfortable, cosy, plenty of hot water for showers/baths, kettle/hot chocolates etc., and quiet.
The breakfasts are OUT OF THIS WORLD - just fantastic - every option possible, hot and cold, cereals, fruit, fresh squeezed as well (not from concentrate) - hot chocolate, toast, chocolate croissants, and of course full English breakfast (eggs, bacon, sausage, tomato, mushrooms, black pudding, fried bread etc.) for those who wanted - and generous portions, not just a spindly bit of bacon - there were literally lashings of everything for everyone. If you are wondering where to get a good breakfast in Darmouth, this is the spot - the view is amazing, right over the front - service is really as close to 5* as you're going to get - and again, generous - it was really REALLY outstanding. I'm sure we could have found somewhere a little cheaper (not much) to stay, but then we wouldn't have been right bang center in the best part of Dartmouth town with all the shops a step away, with great pub options in the hotel itself) - and free wifi too.
I did have a bit of a problem with the wifi at one point, I think it was 11 at night and I happened to take my laptop outside the room to the central staircase area to see if I could get a better signal - one of the staff members walked past me and asked if I was having problems - I mentioned that I was - and he said he'd get someone to take a look (so I thought sure, 11 at night, probably won't get that rectified until tomorrow) - but literally within 5 minutes someone was running up the stairs to come and try to resolve the problem - I mean seriously, where can you get service like that, other than in a 5* hotel! I know this isn't 5*, but I feel the service we received was absolutely 5* and when we go to Dartmouth, we won't stay anywhere else but here. We also met the owner and had a chance to tell him what a great property it was - so that was a nice bonus. This is the best place to stay, and the rates are very reasonable when you compare with everywhere around - you'll see that you can't beat it, and you certainly can't beat the breakfasts!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Ann I, Front Office Manager at Royal Castle Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful lengthy review! Sorry about the sheets and the wifi, but delighted you were pleased with our 5* response to rectify. Do hope we will stay again another day and enjoy our renowned breakfast! Best wishes from all the team.
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

If this hotel in its rooms is as good as its food and staff then it must be rated five star, this is the only place I would go for breakfast, full silver service, attentive staff, excellent in all aspects, from pastries to brown sauce, great sausages bacon mushrooms and egg whichever way you want,scrambled poached fried, this hotel brings the smile back to your face , I am reservedly jealous to tell anyone about how good the lunches and breakfasts are at the royal castle in case I cannot get in for the crowds one day, I rate the breakfast and lunches here as good as anywhere in the united kingdom and a breakfast at only £10 .50 each is worth every single penny and more
Looking at the standard of bedrooms I would say that this hotel is easily rated at five star, the training of staff here is very high, they smile and they mean it, I have eaten here for years and yet never slept here I look forward to spending a week in the summer this year with them, a hotel of charm in a beautiful setting, standing proud in Agatha Christies riverside town

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Ann I, Front Office Manager at Royal Castle Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Many thanks for such a lovely review, we are so pleased you love our breakfasts! We shall certainly look forward to seeing you for your stay over the summer, and am confident we won't let you down! Kind regards from all of us.
Horsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Had a 3 night stay a week ago and took advantage of the offers available, As usual the food, service and accommodation was first class (although try to avoid the inside rooms that look on to the stairs - quite noisy at night and early morning -but still comfortable).
We had a lovely lazy lunch in the Harbour bar and also a very relaxed light dinner in the Grill room, no pressure in that we only wanted to share some starters with a good wine.
Everyone is very helpful and good to see dogs are very welcome. Perhpas I'll bring my pack of hounds next time !
See You again soon.

Room Tip: The inside rooms are not quite as good so book early !
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Many thanks for your lovely and entertaining review - I'm not quite we will have room for your 'pack of hounds' but we will try our best! Best wishes from all of us.

Been to Royal Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!