“south west coast path holiday” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bosayne Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tintagel
Bosayne Guest House
Ranked #6 of 24 Tintagel B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
meerle
“south west coast path holiday”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We walked the south west coast path, and were welcomed very friendly.
It is close to the pubs and restaurants.
The views are very nice.
There where some post-its which things to do and not to do, which we do not like so much.
But of course it is not our B&B, anyone should run the b&B as he would like to do it.
Breakfast was also very good.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Keith W, Owner at Bosayne Guest House, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We note your comments with regards to notices in guest rooms. Please be aware that these have now been removed to prevent potential offence to any guest.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

The B&B is in a lovely location, but unfortunately our stay was not pleasant. There should have been more warning that cats would be everywhere- being allergic to them I found my allergy flared up terribly.

Much worse than this were the overbearing and slightly threatening notices *everywhere* entreating you to reuse and recycle everything. This was very unpleasant and unnecessary. Including a notice about disposing of condoms in a shared bathroom which had no sink (?!) Too much. The keys to our rooms were almost impossible to turn due to ill-fitting locks.

Breakfast was a bit of a disaster, too. The jug of water we asked for had bits of clingfilm floating in it- dangerous not to mention unpleasant- the bacon was inedible, and the toast sweated on the plate and turned soggy. If the reason there were no paper napkins available is presumably because they're considered wasteful, a toast rack could easily have solved this.

Tintagel is a lovely place, and this B&B gets away with too much- do choose somewhere else!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Keith W, Owner at Bosayne Guest House, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
We are sorry your stay at Bosayne was so disappointing. It is regrttable we were not given the opportunity to rectify your concerns at the time they occurred.
We had no idea of your cat allergy but must emphasise our pet cats do not have a free run of the B&B, specifically within the guest accommodation areas. If we had been informed additional measures would have been taken to minimise any discomfort to you. You will agree that on arrival we highlighted the risk of our “night cat” entering the single rooms you reserved if windows were opened too far since these open onto a low level roof area. This appears to be an opportunity missed by you to identify your allergy.
With regards to overbearing and threatening notices we are very surprised you felt these were unpleasant and unnecessary. We pride ourselves on our environmental approach. The only thing we suggest to guests is to think of the environment by being considerate with energy and water use within Bosayne. We do not ask/tell guests to reuse and recycle anything. We do the recycling and disposal of waste products every day while servicing rooms.
The notice placed in all toilet facilities with Bosayne ask guests to consider our personal health by disposing of sanitary towels and, yes condoms, into supplied scented sanitary bags before placing items in the bin next to the toilet. With many years of experience there have been numerous occasions when no regard has been given to someone emptying room or toilet bins. No offence is meant by our notice. Its size is minimal and simply asks for some consideration towards us, as the individuals disposing of items. Please also be reminded that shared facility does not mean public but restricted to 2-rooms only. Each guest room has its own sink and towels provided for hand washing.
The jug of iced water you comment on is regrettable. The ice cubes provided in the water jug were extracted from an ice cube freezer bag. If our oversight had been raised at the time we would have rectified matters immediately. As for the bacon being inedible, this is the first occasion in 8-years of trading a guest has found it such. We only use good quality locally produced Cornish dry cured smoked back bacon and grill it before serving. Sadly again no concerns were raised during your breakfast service even when asked if the food and service was satisfactory. The toasts provided to you on the second morning were fresh and ready for consumption. Since you only requested toast rather than a cooked meal we are surprised the breads were considered soggy. Our breads are homemade and hand cut so it is generally impracticable to use standard toast racks since some slices may not fit.
Although we stock paper napkins we choose not use them during breakfast service since linen napkins are provided. If a guest specifically requests a paper napkin or tissue we provide them from stock.
Finally, we would state that opinions are free to make and publish from a distance. Our personal belief is that reviews are there to be provided, good or bad, but with a view to being fair and reasonable. We accept you clearly did not enjoy your stay at Bosayne. There was an opportunity over your 2-night reservation to raise the issues and for us to address them. By not allowing us to provide an appropriate management solution we feel that your review has generally miss-judged us as a service provider within the hospitality trade.
nottingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I booked Bosayne for four of us walking a particularly taxing part of the SWCP. This particular day it was pouring with rain and we arrived looking like the proverbial drowned rats.
We were met by Keith who immediately offered us a welcome cup of tea and a lovely slice of chocolate cake (home made I think).
The worst part about walking in the rain is having to put wet clothes back on the following morning. No problem, these were kindly tumble dried for us and newspaper supplied to dry the boots.
I have read other reviews that describe the decor as "dated". I think this is a bit unkind. The rooms have character and have everything you need. Most importantly they are spotlessly clean and the beds extremely comfortable.
Breakfast the following morning offered a wide choice. I chose porridge flavoured with cinnamon and raisins that was absolutely delicious (maybe a nod to Keith's Scottish roots?) but my colleagues chose the cooked breakfast with either scrambled or poached eggs and were similarly approving. There was also fruit, cereal bars and toast with lovely home made bread that certainly set us up for the following days walk....in freshly dried clothes.
We were made to feel welcome and would certainly choose to stay in Bosayne if in the area again. Excellent value for money.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Keith W, Owner at Bosayne Guest House, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Many thanks for your generous comments. We certainly try to ensure walkers are looked after especially if arriving at our door during wet weather. The cake indeed was home baked by Julie, as is all the breads and breakfast menu in the morning. The porridge with cinnamon and raisins is Julie's recipe and in not influenced by Scottish roots. We are also pleased that you recognise the character of our rooms. The decor is sympathetic to the age of our house and has a woman's touch to its high standards in cleanliness and comfort. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and trust the rest of your walk went well.
harrow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

A warm welcome from Keith, with tea and cake.Small car park behind building. Twin bedded room clean and well equipped,small fridge, kettle with a wide choice of beverages plus biscuits,a jug of fresh milk available when required.En-suite toilet and excellent shower.Full cooked breakfast with excellent home made bread.Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Keith W, Owner at Bosayne Guest House, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Your kind and generous comments are gratefully received. It is important for us know that our guests feel they have enjoyed a comfortable and value for money stay at Bosayne. Thank you again and we wish you well.
Luton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We stayed here for one night. The location is great and the views stunning. There is parking available and the rooms are clean and well maintained. A wide variety of options were provided for breakfast and the food was good. I would recommend staying here if you are going to Tintagel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Keith W, Owner at Bosayne Guest House, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Apologies for the delay in responding to your review. We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your stay with us, thank you.
Linz, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

it a nice family owned B&B, The Owner Julie and keith great, i was their after 8 jears again Mai 2013. The room realy nice, big and clean. It is like you be not in a Guest House youe feal like home. close to the Towncenter and to the castle. Both a realy great doing,

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Keith W, Owner at Bosayne Guest House, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your return stay with us. It would appear that after 8-years your return visit was satisfactory. we appreciate your comments and are pleased you found everything to your liking.
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I visit Tintagel several times a year and stopped by for the first time at Bosayne just for one night (last night!)

HOSTS/MANAGEMENT
What sets Bosayne apart from similar guesthouses is the management team - Julie and Keith. I was a late booker but they were flexible in accommodating my requests which I appreciated. They also allocated me the room that I had requested. Upon arrival, Keith provided me with a warm welcome, a drink and a run through of everything that I needed to know. He also ensured that I knew what my dinner options were (as I arrived late) and not to open the window too wide otherwise one of their cats would soon be visiting :-)

As it was a room with a shared bathroom (reflected in the price), they also took care to check that I would be sharing the bathroom with a guest of the same sex at the time of booking. It was pleasant to see that they consider this.

At breakfast, Keith looked after us all, whilst Julie took care of the cooking. She also offered an elderly lady cereal bars and fruit to take with her on a long walk she had that day. I think that, together with saying that I could leave my car in the car park for the day to save me parking fees are typical of the thoughfulness and hospitality that you receive at Bosayne.

BEDROOM
I stayed in bedroom 5, which is a single room at the back of the house. This side of the house has a view of pleasant countryside and is east facing, so you get the sun rise (and also the landscape beautifully lit when the sun sets).

There is a small flat screen TV with a full range of freeview channels as well as wifi. It has a basin and mirror in the room, with a shared bathroom across the landing. I felt that having a sink in the room was a great compromise.

There were lots of thoughtful touches in the room including cookies, chocolates, cotton buds, safety pins and a great (and I mean great - everything from orange and lotus blossom green tea to strawberry vanilla rooibos!) array of teas, a mini fridge, an ipod dock, a dish to put your teabags on and a bathrobe. They also included a directory of information which is great if you're new to the area.

The decor is a bit out dated in style and nothing matches, but is not worn far from unpleasant and very homely. I loved the quilt on my bed which I think was handmade. Most importantly of all, the room and sheets were clean and the bed was comfortable. I had a great night's sleep and left the window open a little so woke to the sound of the ocean waves crashing :-) In fact, I went back to bed with a cup of tea for a little while after breakfast too!

BATHROOM FACILITIES
The shower and toilet facility is shared with Room 6. It looks fairly new and was sparkling clean. My only gripe with these facilities was that there was no sink so you had to go back to your room to wash your hands. This was not an issue as such, but a bit odd. There is a soap and shampoo dispenser in the shower filled with 'natural' products.

BREAKFAST
The standard breakfast is the full English which is smoked bacon, sausages, beans, eggs (in the style of your choosing - I had poached and am pleased to report that mine was poached perfectly), mushrooms and home made bread (I had malted wholegrain). Cereal, fruit etc are all on offer. I think the breakfast items are sources locally and they offer lighter breakfast options too with fish available if pre-ordered. It was the perfect start to the day.

LOUNGE
There is a lounge too, but not sure why you would use it when everything is in your room and you would want to be outside the rest of the time, but I'm sure it is handy for families, especially on rainy days.

VALUE
The accommodation is good value, even more so given the hospitality and thoughtful extra touches here and there.

LOCATION
The location is perfect - some rooms have a view of the ocean beyond the Camelot Hotel (less perfect!) and is just a few minutes stroll from the 'centre' of Tintagel. To get there, you follow the main street round to the right and Bosayne is on the right.

PARKING
There is space for 3 cars at the back of the guesthouse. First come first served...I recommend you reverse into the drive!

SECURITY
They have a locked door policy, which was reassuring.

In a nutshell, it was a very comfortable stay and I'd recommend it for anyone looking for a well priced home during your stay in North Cornwall.

Thanks Julie and Keith!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the house are west facing - you get the ocean view (I think from all of the ro...