“Another St. Austell Brewery Pub disappointment” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 25 Restaurants in Tintagel
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
St Columb Major, United Kingdom
“Another St. Austell Brewery Pub disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

There's a worrying trend here re St. Austell Brewery Pubs - see comments further down

My wife and I recently (20th February) visited The Port William and, without doubt, this Pub has the benefit of one of the most spectacular locations I have ever enjoyed to entice its patrons.
It is therefore a shame that the catering does not live up to the wonderful views.
My wife and I both ordered from the 'Specials' board. The concept of 'Specials' usually implies that the dishes from this selection are prepared for the Specials menu of this particular day.
However the results were anything but Special.
My Pork Burger was a nonsense. It was the flimsiest, thinnest burger I have ever been served and had clearly been pre-cooked and warmed up agin just prior to serving. It was limp, lukewarm and tasteless.
My wife had the Liver Casserole. The liver was nice enough but the mashed potato was served with a crust that clearly indicated it had been over-heated just prior to serving.
The people that run this Pub clearly believe that they can get away with sub-standard food preparation because of the location and I am sure that they are taking plenty of money from people who just go there because of the views.
However, captive audiences don't last forever and complacency will eventually be their downfall.

This is the third St. Austell Brewery Pub that I have visited and with which I have been disappointed. Whilst clearly, the Tenancy arrangements with the brewery give the Pub operator a free hand, I am staggered that there is not a better monitoring of the performance of their pubs from a Corporate perspective. Ultimately, the reputation of the brewery is dependent on the performance of their outlets at the end of the supply chain.

Come on St. Austell Brewery, try living up to the reputation you claim to have.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

• Polish first
London, UK
“Great pub meal with added Atlantic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We were planning to go for lunch in Tintagel but a sudden (probably misinformed) panic over Arthur and Merlin themed eateries had me checking TripAdvisor and this pub immediately stood out. Ten minutes or so drive from the famous Castle, its location is equally stunning, I'm sure it's heaving in July but even on dry but bitterly cold day in February it was pleasantly busy. I'm sure the views from the outside tables were stirring and a few men with beards were braving the Atlantic gale but we found the log fire and a window seat more comfortable and just as pleasing. Great pub food, the interior is a bit of a collection of pub styles through the decades but the staff are very friendly and we left feeling set up for an invigorating stroll on the rocks below the pub.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Pershore
“The best location in Cornwall”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We have been coming here for over ten years. Sitting outside overlooking the beach and watching the sunset (and on occasions, dolphins!) has given us great pleasure. St. Austell ales and Rattler ciders are always good and the food is reasonable and unpretentious. It obviously gets rammed in high season so be prepared to be patient, but you will be rewarded by the best location in Cornwall.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Reading, United Kingdom
“Not what we expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were really looking forward to going to Port William Inn after reading the positive reviews on trip advisor, unfortuantley our expereince didn't live up to expectation.

Both myself and my partner were disappointed with our meals. With both meat and veg over cooked it was tough and chewy; the food was also bland as there was little seasoning. With such good reviews and being a gastro pub we really hoped the quality would be better, but with packet gravy and split sauce this wasnt the case.

Even though we had issues with the food the front of house staff were friendly and very apologetic when we complained. They did discount the price of the meal to compensate for the disappointing meal. This level of good service and understanding has raised my review from poor to average.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Super Roast in Warm Cosy Surroundings, Perfect !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Went to the Port William on Sunday to meet friends, our first time, their second. It was lovely and cosy inside on what was a cold and blustery day. We had Roast Turkey which was lovely, plated up and brought to the table (which I prefer, can't be bothered queuing for a carvery), lots of colourful vegetables and generous portion of potatoes and turkey and a huge yorkshire pudding. Free Wifi too. We'll be back for sure !
Small negative: Would have liked to have seen more homemade winter comfort deserts on the menu, ie Fruit Crumble & Custard.

• 5 of 5 stars Food