“Not what we expected” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #16 of 27 Restaurants in Tintagel
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Port William Inn at Trebarwith Strand, near Tintagel, is a wonderful pub and restaurant on the North Cornwall coast, renowned for excellent pub food and a comfortable welcoming bar. There is also 4 star accommodation, with all 8 hotel rooms having a very high standard of finish and superb sea views, down to the sea and the dramatic cliffs. Magnificently situated, The Port William Inn nestles into the cliffs overlooking the dramatic Trebarwith Strand on the North Cornwall coast. When out, the tide reveals a mile of golden sand which can be viewed from the bar, the conservatory dining area and from the inn's eight luxurious en suite hotel bedrooms. Once you have visited we are sure you will agree there is no other inn in Cornwall with a location to match that of the Port William. You are also welcome to enjoy the inn's excellent food and drink from the bar and restaurant, while enjoying the superb views from our outside terrace. The Port William lies on the famous Cornwall coast path and is a very popular stop off point for walkers. Trebarwith Strand also offers a surf school and has Life Guards during the summer months. A short drive takes you to local golf courses and tennis courts while the world famous Tintagel Castle and Island are just a short walk along the coast path.
Reading, United Kingdom
“Not what we expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were really looking forward to going to Port William Inn after reading the positive reviews on trip advisor, unfortuantley our expereince didn't live up to expectation.

Both myself and my partner were disappointed with our meals. With both meat and veg over cooked it was tough and chewy; the food was also bland as there was little seasoning. With such good reviews and being a gastro pub we really hoped the quality would be better, but with packet gravy and split sauce this wasnt the case.

Even though we had issues with the food the front of house staff were friendly and very apologetic when we complained. They did discount the price of the meal to compensate for the disappointing meal. This level of good service and understanding has raised my review from poor to average.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

• Polish first
“Super Roast in Warm Cosy Surroundings, Perfect !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Went to the Port William on Sunday to meet friends, our first time, their second. It was lovely and cosy inside on what was a cold and blustery day. We had Roast Turkey which was lovely, plated up and brought to the table (which I prefer, can't be bothered queuing for a carvery), lots of colourful vegetables and generous portion of potatoes and turkey and a huge yorkshire pudding. Free Wifi too. We'll be back for sure !
Small negative: Would have liked to have seen more homemade winter comfort deserts on the menu, ie Fruit Crumble & Custard.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bodmin, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I have been going to this pub since I was a small child and I love the location. My Grandparents who are regular customers and have stayed here took myself and my son out for valentine's day lunch. On arrival it was quite busy which is great to see so we found a table and decided to order off the specials menu. After ordering we were told that I couldn't have what I ordered, nor could my Grandad have the mixed grill because the chef was too busy prepping for the evening. I understand it is a busy time so why not take the specials off instead of disappointing customers? The food we did order was very nice and can't be faulted but it has put me off slightly on going back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Fantastic location and views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

We had pâté and cananbere starters very generous in side either would do as a main.Main course hake and pasta my husband had mixed grill both were a good size the mixed grill did have salad and peas a little odd he was expecting beans and fried bread.It was a fair price for good tasty food will go back! It was packed for a Thursday lunch so others must also enjoy it !

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Finistere, France
“Great Pub and Excellent Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Stopped off for lunch while travailing around the area, great place with excellent food at good prices, staff looked after us and nothing was too much trouble. May pop back again before we head back.

Visited February 2013