“Good place to stay in Trebarwith Strand!” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Port William Inn to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Port William Inn
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Trebarwith Strand, Tintagel PL34 0HB, England   |
Ranked #10 of 25 Tintagel B&B and Inns
Bath, United Kingdom
“Good place to stay in Trebarwith Strand!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Money-wise, I found the Port William Inn a very reasonable place to stay compared with other properties I have rented at Trebarwith Strand. The rooms are very nice and most of them have a sea view and I found it very pleasant staying here. I rented a small cramped apartment in Trebarwith Strand earlier in the summer above a large gift shop and in comparison, the pub in my opinion, was much better value for money and had a sea view and easy access to the beach, which the apartment did not! The staff were very friendly and happy to help and the pub in itself is in an amazing location with breathtaking views. The food varied from being just about OK when the pub was busy to an absolutely amazing Sunday lunch which we had before we went home. I will definitely go back to this pub, we had an amazing break, the only shame was that the food didn't match up to the Sunday roast every time and was a bit 'hit and miss'

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

242 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

Overlooking my favourite beach.
Height of summer means a lot of people, tourists and locals (perhaps less so) which is great for business, but it does mean you need to be on top of your game. At times when the bar was busy there seemed to be only a couple people serving, but when quiet there were perhaps 6 people behind the bar when ere tables and glasses needed to be cleaned.
The beer was well looked after (you'd hope for a brewery managed pub this was the case, and the food was as expected, as in just proper traditional pub grub.
Will be back next year.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Ilkley
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Let me start by saying that Trebarwith Strand is one of my favourite places in the world. An amazingly atmospheric beach only accessible for about six hours per day it is wonderful and the Port Willaim is always rammed and I suspect is one of the top earners for the St Austell brewery that own it.

I have been on many occasions and although it's okay the food good be so much better. I think like one of the [previuos reviewers it has gone downhill over the past 12 months.

I have had over cooked steak before and mix ups with the order and on this occasion had the Sunday beef carvery which was pretty over cooked.

I suspect that is somewhat a victim of its own success and the food served is representative of how busy it is but I can't help feeling just a tad let down as this place could be something really special.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Gandhara
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Having eaten at the Port William for years, our latest visit was very disappointing. The food was well below acceptable standard, including the 'specials'. It was not well cooked, badly presented and clearly made with very little care. We risked one dessert - "waffles". Actually one, cold 'packet' waffle with a miserly scoop of ice cream. The pub is in an amazing location and has a captive audience but needs to bring the food back up to standard - quick.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Witney, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We accidently discovered Trebarwith Strand last year and said we would come back and stay. We booked the Port William Inn because of its proximity to the water, all of the rooms apart from one (I think) have a sea view and really deep window ledges so you can sit inside the window and just watch the world go by. The rooms have been redecorated recently and had a nice sea feel to them. I loved that there were nice mugs and loads of tea, coffee and hot chocolate as well as biscuits in the room. We spent a lot of time down on the water and there were lovely little places to explore and sit and watch the water. We made tea in the room in the morning and went down to the water and made hot chocolate in the evening which was so lovely. No we are not in our 70's we are in our 40's! It's something that you just have to do. There are a lot of table just outside the hotel as it is a pub and these get full really quickly so get there before 6:00pm if you want to sit down and have a drink. People tend to leave quite early, by 10pm so they do not disturb you if you are staying. I don't recommend the food in the evening if you want anything more than bar food as it really wasn't very good at all and hugely overpriced for what it was. try the Mill House Inn (further up the road) it's about a 10-15 minute walk. It's been recommended by quite a few celebrities such as Chris Evans. Breakfast was a different matter and really very good. I do really think it's worth a visit if not a stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Liverpool
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

My family and I always head to the Port William Inn at least once when we take our annual 2 week holiday in North Cornwall. The views from the pub are stunning and the the pub itself is fantastic both inside and out. We normally dine in the evening and eat from either the specials menu or the evening menu ( after 6 pm ). However on this occasion we arrived realy and due to hungry kids had to eat off the all day menu ( noon - 6pm ). The choice from this menu is quite limited and simple. There is nothing wrong with that, however the meals off this menu can only be described as average at best. My partner and I both had salads, the kids had pizza. I had a fish salad and my partner had a local ham salad. Although there wasnt anything wrong with them, I am pretty sure my fish ( smoked Mackerel ) came from a supermarket, as did things like the pickled onions, coleslaw etc. There is nothing wrong with this as such, but having dined there before and had great meals I expected better really. At least the ham in my partners salad wasnt from a supermarket. Next time we are in North Cornwall we will go to the Port William, but we wont be dining off the all day menu thats for sure !

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

After a stressful time having my mum diagnosed with cancer..my favourite retreat was just what I needed ..comfortable, homely , welcoming, was nice to see familiar faces of larry and sue running the place like clockwork whilst being attentive and friendly too...we have visited many times and already booked a return in October ...The views from this lovely Inn are obviously its selling point in addition to this the staff (some new ) were polite, courteous, and informed our adorable black lab was made welcome too which meant that we could relax and enjoy the atmosphere even when busy in high season ..like the new conservatory sat outside for lunch ...breakfast nice additions fruit teas and dried fruits and pancakes yum ..good value for money visited many locations in the world but enjoy this special place .from Leicestershire

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Port William Inn? Share your experiences!