“Never Again Dirty Room!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Camelot Castle Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Camelot Castle, Tintagel PL34 0DQ, England   |
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Tintagel
London, United Kingdom
“Never Again Dirty Room!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

OMG!!!!! Why did I not read the bad reviews!!! I am not the kind of person to moan but this place needs sorting out! My husband and I only stayed at the hotel because our Maserati Rally finished at the hotel. There were 80+ of us for a Sunday roast. Beef was over cooked and tough, but veg etc was fine. I do understand that it must be hard to cook for 80 people. When all our friends had left, we got our over night bags from the car and were shown to our room. As we had only paid £70.00, no breakfast, we didn't expect it to be the best. But we DID expect the room to be CLEAN!!!! First impression of the room was the dirty window (side view of the sea). I thought " Oh well, we didn't pay a lot, it will be fine for the night". So we went for a long walk. Beautiful countryside, lovely weather! There was no WIFI in the room, so we came downstairs, ordered a bottle of wine (glasses were dirty) and settled down on one of the settees. The owner came and shock hands; why we don't know, as he was not really interested in his guests. He told us, without making eye contact, that we were staying in a" fantastic hotel" and walked off!!! Arrogance isn't attractive !. We decided to have an early night as we had been travelling the Devon Coast line and still had another 3 days of travel. When I had a shower (as others have said before, the shower room was like being in a plastic pod), I came out with damp feet onto the carpet, my feet picked up sooooo much dog hair; we had not seen it before, that I put the hand towels down so as not to get the hair on the bed sheets!!! There must have been a lot of dogs in this room. Then on closer inspection of the dirty window I saw that another guest must have drawn a smiley face on the outside of the window. There were thick cobwebs and bluebottles, horrid!!!! The kettle was orange inside, dirty on the outside, lots of dust everywhere! There couldn't have been a cleaner in this room for months! I dressed again, went straight to reception. The young dark haired receptionist was lovely and offered another room; but as I explained to her, we had been travelling for 7 nights (different hotel every night) the last thing we wanted was to change rooms at 8.30 in the evening; it wasn't as if they were going to pack up and move everything for us whilst we sat in the lounge having a glass of vino. My husband was already in bed. I explained to the receptionist I wasn't looking for a freebie, just that they needed to know how very DIRTY the room was. There was another receptionist listening to the conversation, she was quite rude and offered to get the room cleaned! At 8.30!!! Where would the cleaner come from!!! It would probably take 2 hours to clean, so where should we wait!!! When we left the room we noticed that the toilet had been leaking as there was brown water on the plastic floor!!!! We couldn't get away fast enough! As for the "Art" its all very pink and sparkly. Views are amazing, but BEWARE, stay somewhere else!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We stayed here so we could explore Tintagel Castle. It is such a striking place and a place you can relax in. The bar is great and the restaurant serves great food. All the staff are polite, friendly and willingly helpful. Dinner there was great and a relax in the bar with a drink is recommended. All in all it was an ideal location to stay for us and are looking forward to return.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

A beautiful hotel with some great views out to the sea and coast. On arrival we were well looked after by the reception staff with a quick tour of the castle as well. Our room was beautiful with a sumptuous four poster bed, the only negative thing was the bath room pod which would have made it difficult for the larger person. The food in the restaurant was varied and well cooked as was the breakfast. The bar in the lounge could have had some local beers in but thats just nit picking. Whilst here you will almost certainly bump into the artist Ted Stourton who will give you a tour of his studios and invite you to the light show, a most charming and talented man. He will also invite you to purchase a painting but it's not obliglitory. Some really good cliff walks too.

Room Tip: Ask for sea views
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

The staff were charming and took the time to show me round, the room was good, bathroom a little small but excellent bed and view. Nice little bar and bar staff had good local knowledge. Interesting building and artwork.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We recently spent our honeymoon here, and thoroughly enjoyed our visit. The staff were courteous, helpful, and friendly. Waiters too were very attentive (and unobtrusive, which is a DEFINITE plus!) The meals we had were excellent, We slept in a bed that was so comfortable it was hard to leave it. Loved the lift up to the upper floors. The views from both our room on the first floor and from the dining room, were breathtaking. We did some exploring in the village, up to the parish church and around the castle ruins (and yes, it did involve some climbing, but for goodness sake, this is the Cornish coast path!) We had a lovely time while we were at the Camelot. We have read some of the other reviews, some of which are very negative. We definitely intend to return here and would whole heartedly recommend it to anyone looking for a peaceful, calm serenity on the inside and romantic beautiful scenery on the outside.

Room Tip: rooms with a sea view DEFINITELY recommended. Outstanding natural beauty.
Lichfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Having read some very mixed reviews for this hotelI I was slightly concerned what we would find. However we were pleasantly surprised. Warmly welcomed on arrival and offered a choice of rooms. We chose a 'room with a view' and understood from the start that the bathroom was just a pod added to make the room en suite. Maybe because we have been caravans in the past this did not bother us too much. The rest of the room was spacious and comfortable. Breakfast, which was included in our room cost, was for the first few days table service and perfectly edible, toast was a little one sided but that is toasters. Over the weekend breakfast was self service but still edible, did not eat any other meals in the hotel so cannot comment. Restoration work is taking place but did not intrude on our stay. I would agree that the Art Works are too modern for the age of the building but add to the quirkiness of the hotel. We used the hotel as a base to explore the area and would probably return. Wifi only available in smaller lounge/bar area and some days it was a little slow but it was free. We spent seven nights there.

Meeker, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

It is rare for me to give such a low review, but I was so disappointed in this expensive hotel sitting on a cliff overlooking the ruins of Tintagel Castle that I can do nothing more. The owner has decided to fill this Victorian replica of a medieval building with modern impressionistic artwork. The artwork of itself is actually lovely, but it does not belong in this particular kind of lodging. I suppose I was hoping for an Arthurian experience and this is not the place to get it. Once you pass the “round table” in the lounge area, any reference to Arthur is non-existent. Although I knew the extra bed added to our room would take up space, I had no idea our $300+/night room would be this cramped. The insuite bathroom was lovely and I guess that’s what made it a deluxe luxury. The roast beef sandwich I ordered from the bar was mostly bread. The omelet the next morning was the worst I have ever had (runny). Nor were we made aware that the breakfasts we were ordering were not included part of the exorbitant room charge. My mistake, I’m sure, but I thought for the price we would get more for breakfast that juice, yogurt/cereal. And much to my surprise, the bar had no Mead. Do they know nothing of English history much less Arthur? Beware, there is no internet in the rooms. You have to go to the lounge/bar area to get online. I would say, however, that the view from this area was beautiful (until the sun went down and you could see nothing). Also, beware that the path talked about on their website that leads to the castle is not for anyone with mobility or feet problems. We wound up taking the path from town. I can find nothing in my experience at this hotel to recommend it for the current price.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Been to Camelot Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!