“Lovely location- gorgeous view-mystical setting” 4 of 5 stars

You added Camelot Castle Hotel to your Saves list
Camelot Castle Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Camelot Castle, Tintagel PL34 0DQ, England   |
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Tintagel
“Lovely location- gorgeous view-mystical setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

My girlfriend and i stayed here for 2 nights on a murder mystery weekend. Ideal agatha christie type venue.
Love this place- even tom cruise nade an arrival by helicopter- amazing time. Amazing service, food and very clean rooms.
Will be back

• Stayed December 2012
John_m75, Manager at Camelot Castle Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Hi Andy, What a great pleasure it was to have you to stay. Everyone is always welcome at Camelot Castle and one can arrive here all sorts of ways. Helicopter is just one of them. Let us know if you would like to arrive by helicopter and we can arrange that for you. It is exciting the some of the biggest Celebrities in the world come here to experience Camelot Castle. I think the fact that many people feel that Ted Stourton is the Worlds greatest Living artists and that his studios are here is adding to the excitement and anticipation of a Trip to Camelot Castle. Do come and see us again and keep spreading the word. Also make sure you sign up for our email updates on our web site and we will let you know when we have some fun events planned. Many of the top Celebrities in the world like to attend them. Last year was our best ever but this year will be even better. See you soon. The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Old Windsor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I have just returned from a week at Camelot Castle Hotel Tintagel Cornwall. The Owners John Maplin and Ted Stourton were very welcoming and Malik and Agata on Reception couldn't have possibly done more to make my first visit to Camelot a complete success.This is really quite a magical place with a gentle and calming atmosphere and this was a 'gift' to any Artist like myself who seeks inspiration. The Staff were an absolute pleasure and extremely helpful and attentive. The rooms were delightful and carefully presented and looked after extremely efficiently throughout my stay. I would recommend this place to anyone and I shall certainly be returning. Hopefully there will be Cornish Kippers on the breakfast menu!
My thanks to everyone.

Room Tip: You don't need a tip at this place. Every room is carefully presented
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
John_m75, Manager at Camelot Castle Hotel, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear Ian, It was a great pleasure to meet you and to be of service to you. What a wonderful man you are. Please consider Camelot you home from home. What ever we can do to be of service do just let us know. See you soon. The Management...
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We stayed around the beginning of October for one night. It was a treat from my partner for getting my degree and he proposed to me in Tintagel Castle so I thoroughly enjoyed the day!

Upon checking in we were shown around the bar and dining room etc and told all the times for meals. We had booked in for a moor view room and were quite pleased when we actually had a sea view. The room was smaller than I was expecting but had everything you needed in it. The bed was really comfy, bedding clean and nice fluffy feather pillows.

The bathroom was a fair size I wouldn't say it was airline size like the other reviews so I reckon it must have been recently done. It was the cheapest room they do and it was still very luxurious although I would have liked more information about the history of the hotel in the room rather than a pleasant albeit lengthly poem.

The shelf over the sink was a bit of a death trap though as I kept hitting my head every time I washed my face. Also the shower took ages to run hot and then the base filled up with water and wouldn't drain for ages. Not enough for me to go downstairs and complain as there wasn't really much point.

We didn't dine at the hotel as it was a holiday on a budget and we grabbed a curry from the town (Which was lush by the way!)

The only thing that really bugged me was the art work everywhere, I know he is meant to be the worlds best abstract artist or something but it just really didn't fit in with the theme of the hotel and really cheapened it quite a lot. I have been to a hotel called The Witchery in Edinburgh which has a similar vein and they would not be seen dead with that artwork about.

I really expected more suits of armour about and big maps on the wall or shields (as it is Camelot hotel after all). Not little pink butterflies?

It is not that I don't appreciate the artwork, I think it would look great in a restaurant or cafe (before I get the clearly copied and pasted reply from the hotel). I just think you should take the (small) criticism on board like a professional business, rather than blinkering yourselves into keeping it up on the walls as it really does let the place down. I would have thought with so many other reviewers mentioning it, it would have been clear as day and it is so easy to fix!

I didn't particularly mind the photos of celebrities in the reception. I also can't praise the staff enough, they were so lovely and welcoming and had the cutest little french bulldog Coco behind the desk, who was more than pleased to say hello.

Overall I would most certainly stay again, we are in fact planning on going back sometime in April with our new dog and I am very much looking forward to it.

Room Tip: Fork out more for a bigger room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, On the whole this is a constructive review. Well done. We don't mind criticism at all not least as the controversy that has surrounds the Hotel and Ted's art is making the hotel far far more successful than it other wise would have been. We should really be paying all the laptop warriors on here for generating extra business. We have had to hire more staff this year just to cope with the influx for what has been our best year ever. You see what the envious and intolerant fail to understand is that in England the decent folk here really like to think for themselves and no amount of biased envious and intolerant carping on Trip Advisor or elsewhere is going to brainwash someone with good old common sense. Many bookings actually occur today from people who want to come and make up their own mind about the art and the hotel. So to all the laptop warriors out there ( and I am not including this review in that group) continue to chew on your intolerant and envious urges. Free speech is what makes this country great.

However you should know that when surveyed over 95 percent of guests in the hotel are completely satisfied with their stay and would return and over 97 percent of guests love the fact that we have a priceless collection of the works of one of the greatest artists of all time in the hotel. That they may have a chance to meet Ted in person while staying is a potential treat of which dreams are made. Just look at some of the video clips on line about the light box at camelot castle and see what the true reaction to the art and Ted is. Ted has over 7000 delighted friends and collectors worldwide, what he is doing for other artists and helping them get up and running is just so unselfish and kind and those actions alone in one month would be enough. He has probably helped well over 50 artists get up and running with viable careers. Ted just happens to be a very giving man. Because of his success as an artist we have been are able to constantly refurbish the hotel. So while the management would be the first to admit that Camelot Castle is different. and has character and we have zero intention of homogenising and conforming to whatever "the norm" is, we feel that it is our very differences that should be celebrated indeed in the coming months and years and we will do just that..

And for those new customers reading some of the reviews and wondering what is happening. Just understand that in life there is a very very small minority of bullies and those who envy success and are intolerant of positive differences in people. If there is one thing that Camelot Castle has always stood for it is the right and ability to think for yourself. Long may that continue. The Management.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

No word of lie, this is by far the best value 'Themed' hotel I've ever stayed in. And the Theme is "Comedy!"

The Building -
Pretentious and yet Pebble-dashed! Sticking out of the Beautiful Cornish Coastline like the remnants of a Victorian Frankenstein's Castle, you can suddenly imagine what an 1890's Footballer/Lottery Winner would have built. Its ugly to such an extent, you start to love it for its deformities and sadness.

The Room -
The first room was not at all what we expected. Small, dark with a plastic Caravan bathroom in what felt like the middle of the room. My disbelief was indicator enough and the very kind Receptionist quickly showed us another. Once you get over the fact someone reversed the back-end of a caravan into your room, they are very nicely furnished (Forgetting the rather 'personal' choice of Art).

Good beds, clean cotton linen, plastic bathroom but stunning views - We even had a little enclosed balcony.

Dinner -
Warning - Restaurant Claims may well exceed ability. I couldn't decide if this was a lack of training or a lack of care, but avoid. Not inexpensive, very unrewarding. Good wine list, but so many 'no longer available' - We played Vino-Bingo with the waiter until we found one they actually had.

"Look at me... Notice Me..." The Personalities - John & Irina Mappin and Ted Stourton

Run by three Ego-Maniacs, you first notice this in the Reception area; and while getting your key and signing papers, take a moment to look around you. It's not that it's been painted in metallic gold, but the huge number of framed photographs adorning the walls, all in the theme of "Me, with someone famous" and the semi professional JVC Video Camera on permanent display. OK... Someone's in the film business - Subtle!

Then comes the 'Art' -
It is astounding that Mr Stourton has any time for anything. I think we counted near 90 pieces of his work including some canvases being 15 feet wide. These carry on into the rooms with 5 pieces in our room alone. Sadly it's all very ... Modern? when the furnishings and interiors are all very classical. The glaring colourers do have a tendency to stick out like a Lollypop Lady at a Goth Concert. And those stick on Butterflies appear to be more Asian Sweatshop than Cornish Workshop.

In the Lounge is a painting (Estimated at thousands of pounds) and we were informed that if you stare at it, you can see a bull. Took me less than a second to laugh, There was nothing but Bull!!

The Newspaper & Video.
All over the reception, the lounge and bar you'll find the Camelot Newspaper. A smashing photo of the lovely Irina adorns the front page and its filled with articles about her good works, supported charities, Etc. There is nothing subtle about this self promotion and it's a must read!

The video is phenomenal and is in every bedroom - ITS TOO FUNNY!!! A copy is also presented to you at checkout. It's like a real life parody of the 'Ambassador Spoiling Us' advert with uncomfortable looking cast members and two juniors from the Kazakhstan Embassy looking slightly bemused.

Spend £600 on two nights accommodation? Stay in a Victorian Carbuncle? Watching a video on the fabulous cuisine while seeing KFC Drumsticks being passed around... Priceless!

If you read this and are in any doubt, it's an experience! I don't know of any other Hotel where the Owners hang themselves out so much and will leave you 'Eyes Wide and Mouth Agog'! Its a bit like a real live Forty Towers with Ego's and Self Promotional comedy everywhere.

Go, before they get a spell-checker, before the Hotel inspector turns up, Before they realise and ruin it, Go!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
John_m75, Manager at Camelot Castle Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Envy and Intolerance manifest in several forms. One form, is a sort of malicious critical glee cloaked as humour. When this occurs it is worth pointing out to protect other members of society from such efforts.

We are not much of a fan of such critics, especially these days when there are such an abundance of them on the payrolls of every newspaper, e-zine, cable TV show, news program and magazine. We think when professional critics start to outnumber working artists, something is terribly wrong. Even one critic to ten artists is a bit uneven. Critics will disagree with this, but to listen to some of them, one artist per field of art would be ample.

It's not the individual critics we hate, mind you, it's the whole impulse. We even hate it in ourselves, and consider it one of our projects to evaporate any desire towards criticism of other well-intentioned people that we can detect in ourselves. It's just not a handsome attribute.

So here's our idea, and we are quite serious about it, too. Today we have recourse to digital tools that have revolutionised the arts. You can paint, compose music, edit films, design buildings, all on your laptop while eating a donut, if you choose. Basically, there is no excuse anymore for anyone who claims to be interested in the arts to not be very productive. It's just too easy.

So we as a society should demand that anyone who wants to call themselves a professional critic, should make available on a website for all the world to see, an example of their efforts in the very field they intend to be an authority on. Music critics- let's hear your songs and symphonies. Theatre critics- where is the play you wrote on the subway to Times Square? Art critics- let's see the images you made on your laptop in Soho. Film critics- you hordes of imitation butter-flavor fingered typists, tell us where to view your short film please. We'll patiently wait for the download. Hotel critics lets see your hotel and retreat you have created for creative people.

This will make honest men and women out of the few really devoted critics who take on the challenge, and it will thin the herd considerably. With every critic activated as a productive artist, we will have more works to view and listen to, and less carping and complaining. Many will probably quit of their own accord, since artistic creation is so much more rewarding than casual, random destruction.

The real dividend for the culture will be the conversion of critics into artists. We always need more of the one, and seldom have a hunger for the other.

The Management
St Austell, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Once again we had a great weekend stay at the Camelot Hotel. This was our third time. Upon arrival we were greeted by very friendly reception staff. Our room was fantastic, very big with views across the Atlantic, and up and down the coast and inland as it had a balcony at the side. Definatley a room with a view! Stunning! The four poster bed was very comfortable and had a thick mattress. The shower room was very good and the shampoo, conditioner and body lotion were of good quality.
Both nights we had dinner at Irina's restaurant which was fantastic.Starters, main course and desserts were of excellent quality and most delicious. Breakfast was excellent as well. As much cereal and fruit juices as you like and my poached eggs were superb.
We felt home from home and like talking to all the staff.
Basically we can recommend this Hotel and we shall go back. Often we are in the area and pop in for lunches and dinners.

Room Tip: Definately would recommend a room with sea view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
John_m75, Manager at Camelot Castle Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Our Dear Guests, What a pleasure it was to see you again. I am glad you enjoyed all the new refurbishments and improvements that we have been doing to the hotel. We are very luck to have private owners that really take care of the property and are restoring it to its victorian splendour. We are also so luck to have the team of staff here that we have. Its really like a family and certainly the happiest place that I have ever worked in. Let us know when you are coming again and we will look forward to welcoming you home. Warmest Regards The Management.
Windsor, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

It should be noted before anything else that this hotel is not rated by Cornish Tourism, English Tourism, The AA or the RAC.

I booked this hotel for three nights in February for our 1st anniversary. We arrived in Tintagel that morning and the hotel looked great wwhen seen from Tintagel castle. Fantastic location and grand looks. We were looking forward to three nights of luxury.

We checked in to the hotel and were shown around the public areas which were decorated in a plush if faded grandeur, we were given our room key and then shown to the very old style passenger lift (complete with scissor door), which we only just manged to fit in with our one case. We then had to find our room in the corridors of the hotel.

The room was a double with moor view so we didn't expect to see the sea, howeveer the room was spartan with a 'capsule' stuck in one corner as the bathroom. It can only be described as a caravan wet room. It was made of plastic, there was no way to close the door when you were sat on the loo as your knees got in the way. It was very dissappointing. I returned to the reception and after a pleasant discussion we were moved to a seaview 'deluxe' room, however this was not a free upgrade.

We had to move ourselves to the next room, once there we were shocked to find the state of the room was disgusting. We went to complain but were told it was that or nothing. The option was a proper shower and awful room or the cleaner room and the portakabin bathroom.

We stayed put for the sake of the shower (in hindsight we should have just left and booked into a local B&B) but that was our mistake. The windows let in the Atlantic draft and the room was dismal, we were given an electric heater to keep the room warm. There were stained sheets and mould, all of which we reported. We spent as much time as we could out and about rather than have to stay in the hotel.

We have since found out that the owners, such as the 'famous' artist, my wife teaches art and had never heard of him, and the co-owner are Christian Scientists. this makes sense of the very odd artwork. Posters asking guests to experience the 'lightbox', as well as pictures of many famous celebrities with the owners adorn all the walls.

The hotel is devoid of any local literature and no information is present about the local area, the only literature on show were copies of the owners poems lying all around the public rooms. For a good review of the restaurant see the review by K L which sums it up.

We obviously complained and we were offered a return stay at the hotel, at OUR expense to see how good it can be. We refused and we were then offered a refund of the upgrade cost of the seaview room. whci we recieved after 3 months of e-mailing.

I would not reccomend this hotel at all, you are better booking further afield and travelling to Tintagel which has good parking facilities. We all learn from holiday mistakes and this is one big learning curve.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
John_m75, Manager at Camelot Castle Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
This review is way outdated and inaccurate. The photos are not representative of any of our rooms. I have looked into this matter personally and this room was mistakenly offered to a customer when it was scheduled to be closed for routine winter maintenance. Our rooms are spotlessly clean and we carry out maintenance and deep cleaning routinely. Please disregard this review as it misrepresent the current situation.
Warm Regards,
Management
Helston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights on a special deal that was cheaper than most other places and it also included breakfast which is always a bonus. We were really unsure of what to think of this place... one of the owners is a wanna be famous artist (I'd never heard of him dispite just finishing a art degree). This "artist" has adapted the hotel into a kind of gallery for all his distastful obviously churned out artwork (it's on every wall). The worst has to be the horrible glittery paintings with stick on butterflies.. I've seen a 5 year old do better. Appart from this unfortunate decor the hotel is in a stunning location with breathtaking views. We got a free upgrade to a seaview due to the quiet winter season but I recommend paying a little extra to get the seaviews as it detracts a little from the artwork. We did read the reviews about the "tardis" bathrooms so were fully prepared and it wouldn't have bothered us but as it turns out the deluxe rooms have a normall bathroom with even a bath!
We felt uncomfortable for the majority of the stay as the owner and some of the staff seemed to look down on us when we arrived in our walking clothes in a old 2002 reg car. There were several very expensive cars parked right outside the front door (we assumed for show).
The bar was hidiously over priced and we had to ask at the reception twice to get served after sitting at the bar with an empty glass for 15mins. Breakfast was really good with a nice seletion (apart from the cheap thin bread for toast) Lots of cearels and juices.
I couldn't reccomend this hotel at the full price but with the winter deal we got and the free upgrade it was ok. I would not stay here again but I can't say that I didn't enjoy my stay as the area is lovely and we went for many lovely cliff top walks. Boscastle is our favorite place to visit. I just wish that they take down those horrible paintings that ruin the whole atmosphere.

Room Tip: Go "out of season" in the winter on one of the deals and hope that they give you a room up...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
John_m75, Manager at Camelot Castle Hotel, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Ted Stourton is probably the greatest abstract realist artist of all time. This is our opinion of his art. Others have their own opinions which of course may differ.  We feel that it is wonderful that he is so giving of his time and his creativity to the world.  We are incredibly fortunate to have some of his collection and original paintings here in the hotel.  Beauty and art of course lie the eye of the beholder.  But it is important to be able to notice envy and intolerance in a review either of a hotel or in relation to or it owners or art.

A mind or heart filled envy and intolerance is most certainly an unattractive quality and has no place at Camelot Castle.

Perhaps this is why such reviewers feel uncomfortable here.

We welcome and service hundreds and hundreds of delighted guests at this hotel every month and many thousands of guests a year and this review is not in the slightest bit representative or indicative of the experience of the vast majority of our customers.

It is important that envy and intolerance is noted as such.

The Management.

Been to Camelot Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!