“camelot not!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Tintagel
new milton
“camelot not!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Stayed at camelot for 1 night for the other halfs 50th birthday. Fantastic location with views of Tintagel, the hotel looked majestic from the car park. The missus at first was a bit overawed with the hotel thinking it was a bit 'posh' for us, gaudy wallpaper even gaudier paintings on the walls i soon assured her that the word she was looking for was 'tacky' and not 'posh'. The polish receptionist greeted us with 'Ted Stourton' the best artist in the world, who, i answered. I soon found out who Ted was, his art adorns every nook and cranny at camelot. I was expecting medieval bits around the hotel but nothing of the sort, so when you stay here expect a victorian building with a medieval name with so called modern art on every wall. We found out that ted and his business partner had links to scientology, its funny but nothing specific happened but once we found that out the hotel had a different feel, cant put my finger on it but the place felt very eerie.
The room had a great view of Tintagel but the room itself was poor the shower room/toilet was in the style of a motorhome, there was a big gap between the bottom of the toilet door and the bedroom so when one of us had business in the toilet we could still maintain a conversation no problem, which was nice.
We booked in at 2pm and left the next morning at 8am, in all that time we only saw 3 staff in total,
for such a big hotel it seemed strange
Anyway hotel needs much updating and the insides need sorting out, is it a medieval castle/hotel or is it an art gallery for ted.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Northampton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

If you are or are not a King Arthur believer, this hotel is a must see and do. It sits on a cliff overlooking the Atlantic Ocean along the rugged Cornwall coastline. You can hike down the cliff over to the historical ruins of Tintagel Castle believed by some to be the birthplace of King Arthur. You need to be relatively fit and fleet of foot to do this! The owners are a little quirkly but absolutely marvelous. The fostering of art and artists is a huge priority here. Some may find it a little "in your face", but we chose to embrace the experience. The restaurant serves good food with good service in an opulent setting with an unparalled view. The sunsets are mystical given the location. Make sure you ask for a room with an ungraded bathroom. The plumbing in our room on the 3rd floor was definitely tempermental, but don't let this deter you from visiting this truly magical place. A lot of high profile entertainers flock here as well if you care :) Also, it is difficult to find a place run and staffed by people of integrity. I left my briefcase in the lobby at checkout with $$ and passports and my US ID card. I never realized it until I received a call from the hotel about 5 hours later. I returned to collect my briefcase to find everything in tact. I can't wait to go back here for a longer visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an upgraded bathroom overlooking the Atlantic if possible.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Beautiful location and building, good service but disappointing product. Rooms are basic with no castle feel to it, poor quality paint on wall, poor quality furniture, cheap looking bedroom doors and corridor, plastic throughout bathroom, my girlfriend was not very impressed...:(

• Stayed September 2012
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

The hotel is situated in a grand natural setting and walking into the grand hall, albeit somewhat faded, the hotel, in terms of quality of the room, services and facilities should have matched it's setting and the premium prices charged. Staff were unfriendly and unhelpful, leaving you to struggle with luggage and find your own room. The room was small with some of the space taken up with a "caravan" style of low cupboard for the toilet and shower stall, where you couldn't turn around and after a shower stood or sat with feet in the water. Sound proofing both in the room and the guest room next door from these ensuite contraptions was non-existent. Great views of the ocean from the room would have been spectacular, except the windows were so dirty. Any details on the hotel was on a CD, but there was no facility to play it. I did express my disappointment to management, and they advised that they had refurbished, deluxe rooms with proper ensuites, however, I have no idea what the price per room was and felt that listed price of 118 pounds I had already paid should have provided more than standard quality facilities, if not superior. If you wanted wi-fi services it would also cost you 15 pounds extra - so if you want to go for the view, or to experience the works of the owner artist be aware of the downside.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I've waited a few weeks to write the review in the hope it'd be less ranty but the memory of the stay is still an unpleasant one.

The Good Stuff:
- The location is fantastic and the views are stunning
- The staff are friendly and attentive
- The room was large
- The Explorer's tea room serves a reasonably priced and delicious lunch and very good coffees too

The Bad Stuff:
The hotel is a temple to Mr Stouton's art and the owners' celebrity connections. Every wall is covered with rather amateur looking paintings which are really very repetitive. (We literally had the same painting with the tiniest of variations in about 5 places in our room)
The entrance is just full of photos with the celebrity connections.
Alright, they own the place - they can decorate it how they want even if it comes off as an exercise in poor taste and self-aggrandizement. However, I draw the line when it starts affecting the guests!
So, my usual ritual when entering a new hotel room is take off my shoes, lie in bed and read the info booklet - it's normally a great resource for hotel facilities, meal times, check out times, local walks and attractions etc. But no, this hotel doesn't have one of those. Instead there are 2 sheets of paper on the bed - a confirmation of the booking and a poem by, you guessed it, one of the owners. They also supplied a dvd about the hotel which no doubt was just another excuse for the owner's to inflate their egos and I couldn't bring myself to watch.
When we had checked in we had briefly been told the times for meals etc which I hadn't paid much attention to as there was so much going on and I was sure the information would be repeated in-room. At sunset, I retrieved some extra goodies from the car and picked up one of the hotel's very own newspapers that I had seen littered around the place. Now yes, I could have asked at reception for the times but then I would have had to remember breakfast times too as well as checkout times and any other info I might need so I decided that the Camelot Castle newspaper would surely hold this info. Nope. It was simply reprints of the photos with celebs and the poem - not one useful snippet anywhere! To call it a newspaper is a mockery of the word.
Eventually my husband walked back down to reception and enquired to dinner times and we only just made it in time. I wish we hadn't.
The 2-course package dinner was 'ok' but the biggest shock was when we paid the bill for our stay. Over £200 for one night (room and dinner) and that is not even including breakfast!
With service charge our wine alone at dinner was £21.32. This is Sunrise wine - a brand you can pick up in supermarkets for under £5. Our dinner was £78.01! My husband and I had 2 course a la carte dinner with a *much* nicer bottle of wine at a fantastic & popular Italian restaurant in central London last weekend for cheaper.

Oh, and I haven't even mentioned the bathroom. Now we got a complimentary room upgrade so I am a little scared to think what it would have been like if we hadn't. Our bathroom was essentially a airplane's toilet re-imagined. It's a tiny little plastic thing that you climb in to in the corner of the room. It is so small, there is not even room to hang the towels inside it - they're on the outside!

We consider ourselves very fortunate not to have enquired about "the light box" which is promoted on everything - even the poor employees' outfits!

Overall, I wouldn't mind visiting Tintagel again but I *definitely* would not stay at the Camelot Castle Hotel. If you really want to check it out (and I recommend it purely so you can giggle at the photos and art), then go for a coffee at the Explorer's tea room and count yourselves luckier than us!

Room Tip: For the best room, try another hotel... seriously!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
John_m75, Manager at Camelot Castle Hotel, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Ted Stourton is probably the greatest abstract realist artist of all time. This is our opinion of his art and others have their own opinions which of course may differ.  We feel that it is wonderful that he is so giving of his time and his creativity to the world.  We are incredibly fortunate to have some of his collection and original paintings here in the hotel.  Beauty and art of course lie the eye of the beholder.  But it is important to be able to notice envy and intolerance in a review either of a hotel or in relation to or it owners or art.

A mind or heart filled envy and intolerance is most certainly an unattractive quality and has no place at Camelot Castle.

Perhaps this is why such reviewers feel uncomfortable here.

We welcome and service hundreds and hundreds of delighted guests at this hotel every month and many thousands of guests a year and this review is not in the slightest bit representative or indicative of the experience of the vast majority of our customers.

It is important that envy and intolerance is noted as such.

The Management.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

The setting is truly stunning with views of the sea etc.
However the hotel rooms are terrible! Very dated and basic, curtains if present are very light so pointless.
The bathroom was so appalling words really cannot describe it! It was like an old plastic pod from a cruise ship, or like a toilet cubicle from a plane that you're supposed to shower in as well!!!
I'm quite annoyed that none of this is mentioned on the website so this only comes to light once you've already booked and paid. I found this very deceitful. Made a lot worse by the fact the owners cars (bently, austin Martins etc) are all on show in the front car park, also the pretentious photos of the owners with celebs in the lobby is a ridiculous display of ego mania, I mean who DOES that. Though by the time we left we found it a more ridiculous place.
If bathrooms are an integral part of your stay as they are to me then i would advise that you try calling prior to booking and discuss this, as I understand there are normal new bathrooms in certain room -for an extra charge of course. Of course many people may not mind the bathroom situation especially if you're not looking for a luxury stay, but I was so cross as for the same money we could have stayed elsewhere with much better facilities.
There is also the most ridiculous (bad) art on display "created"!! By the owners whonare clearly trying to shift them.
Overall not a good experience, hotel not honest about bathroom facilities and paid far more than the standard I received. Had to laugh in the end, ridiculous owners and art cannot be taken seriously!

Room Tip: Check if bathroom updated prior to booking, if this is important to your stay
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

The hotel entrance is lovely, hotel location is very impressive, all good so far. Here is your key and your room is here. Bang, what is the so called bathroom about. Cruise ships have far better facilities, a green pod where the water keeps running, shower on top of the loo and not in any hotel pics. The room is tatty, dog hairs on the throw, with a decent view. Hotel full of art, at least that's what they say. I've been offered the chance to look and buy one of the owners light installations, place is a bit mad. 2 nights, will NEVER stay here again, could be something but they need to look at the whole place and refurbish. Not my cup of tea.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Camelot Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!