“Lovely hotel,beautiful place, old world,” 5 of 5 stars

Camelot Castle Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Camelot Castle, Tintagel PL34 0DQ, England   |
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Tintagel
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel,beautiful place, old world,”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

The hotel is set in a perfect position on the rugged and beautiful cornish coast, a stone's throw from the sea next to the castle ruins, and a short walk from the little village of tintagle,

We had a picnic with local bought pasties from the village and a bottle of champagne we bought with us on the romantic headland in front of the hotel as we arrived a little early, and our room was not quite ready for us.

The hotel was everything i expected from the web site and more.
The staff went out there way to make us feel welcome,
We had a moore view room but still had a view of the sea,
Our room was very clean and had some nice touches, the linen was very crisp and duvet very puffy, just lovely to collapse into after a long drive, the on suite was a little quirky, but worked just fine.
The whole hotel is very victorian inside and out with lovely decoration, its as if you might bump into noel coward in the lounge.
We were very impressed with the art work in the hotel and our room had some lovely original paintings by the very friendly resident artist, Ted Stourton.

We had booked dinner before we arrived, the 2 or 3 course meal was well priced and had some lovely dishes, the waiter was very attentive without being over bearing.
For the size of the bar it had a good stock,just a suggestion would be the addition of a spicy rioja and some cornish ale to the stock. ( the brandy was very good)
This is a lovely place , very romantic ,there were families and couples staying when we visited,
A very well run hotel with personal service, not a chain, warm ,friendly, dress for dinner if you fancy but not necessary if not.

Very well worth a visit, pop back in time, we will ,
Paul & Susi

Room Tip: A lovely victorian hotel, romanticwith little quirks,
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
John_m75, Manager at Camelot Castle Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2011
I was wonderful to have you here and to be able to welcome you to this very special part of england…see you soon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

A stay that will always be remembered fondly due to the warm welcoming staff, excellent service and hospitality of Ted Stourton & Jon Mappin.

• Stayed August 2011
I was a pleasure to have you here and I am sure that John Irina and Ted enjoyed meeting you too.

See you soon.
Poole, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

I would not use this hotel again. The rooms are nothing like the photos and they all need a good clean a lick of paint. The bathrooms are terrible (the type you would find in a static home) and the beds have mattress topers. Not what you would expect from a four star hotel.
Check in is at 2pm we arrive at 5pm and the room was not ready. We stayed in this room one night as we asked to be moved the next day to a room that wasn't underneath the stairs. We were given the key so that we could have a look at another room (no the staff didn't show us to the room). This room was still dirty from the previous occupants and the dirty winnie the pooh rug just didn't do it for me! We were then given another room and told it would be ready by 1pm we returned after lunch at 2pm and it stil wasn't ready.
We can't coment on the food as we didn't eat at the hotel. Breakfast is served daily between 0830 -0930 a little too early for us as we were away without children and the local pubs sell great food.
On a good note the staff were very friendly and spoke perfect English and the views from the room were great.

Hereford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

After reading many reviews about this castle, i was stunned to find that people are dissing it alot, when me and my husband arrived we were greeted by the staff who were very polite (some were foreign some were English) and showed us around the bar area, lounge and restaurant. I noticed the art on the walls, which are very pretty, and shook hands with the artist Ted Stourton who co owns the Hotel when he came into the bar one evening, i read a few reviews whilst staying there using my internet on my phone, as we were confused about this Light Box thing, as we saw newspapers regards to it and the various books on the tables in the bar, well we discovered that its a Scientology thing the Light Box, we didnt ask to go to the studio and see the light box, but one staff member did ask if we wanted to, but we decided not too. and i wouldn't want to go and see it as im not into this Scientology business, but you can not diss this hotel, as it is a lovely place to stay at, if you dont want to see the light box dont go and see it, it is up to the individual if they want to see it or not, we choose not to, but loved our stay at Camelot Castle, ive read many reviews on here, stating about the cleanliness and state of rooms, we had a delux room overlooking the Atlantic, we couldnt fault it at all. Im not a religious person, not into all this Scientology stuff, its up to the individual to join that kind of thing if they want to, no ones going to force you. Food was lovely, we only had breakfast as we found the evening meals a tad expensive. We shall return to the hotel in the future for a night or so, we will not see the light box as we dont want to, but we love the hotel for what the hotel is, set on a perfect part of the world, would not fault the hotel itself. x

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
John_m75, Public Relations Manager at Camelot Castle Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2011
Hi thanks for this review which is quite balanced and fair I sure that Ted enjoyed meeting you too, he is one of the kindest men I have ever met, and we are delighted that you will return to see us….do bring your friends..

Just one point the LIGHT BOX at Camelot Castle has nothing at at all to do with Scientology. It is simply something artistic that Ted has created that our guests generally really enjoy…in our opinion it is one of the most beautiful things in all of Cornwall. You can see some great video clips on our web site of guests who have experienced it.

The owners of Camelot are indeed Scientologists and very proud to be so as Scientology has helped so many people around the world. If they get asks about it they suggest to any one who wants to know about scientology is to go to a church of scientology or to the official church web site or indeed read books about it by L Ron Hubbard.

We respect all religions and faiths at Camelot Castle as we understand very well that a failure to do this is infact a violation of basic Human Rights.

We appreciate your respect of our home and our hotel and I hope this clarifies a little better as to what the LIGHT BOX is. And what it is not.

All our love

Mark
singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

We travelled with our dog and found this hotel very dog friendly. We even get to walk their dogs. Staff very friendly, they will make sure your stay is comfortable. Family room is fantastic with great sea view. Wake up early enjoy a walk near the sea. Food is good and even got a bottle of wine free.
Definitely will return coz this place has heart and it's owners meek sure everybody is treated like a royalty.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Belfast, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

I am lost for words and struggle to find an adequate enough description of how to summarise my disappointment at Camelot Castle however I will try my best in order to save any other poor souls of wasting their time and money. I booked this for my family and I as a treat for the final night of our holiday and was shocked at the standard of accomodation versus all the beautiful other places we had stayed at during our holiday. Firstly, there was work going on at the entrance as well as sofas being cleaned inside - not what one would be expecting on arrival. Anyway, we entered the castle and there was a pretty awful whiff throughout, a bit like a dirty floorcloth. The carpets were frayed and there wasn't a sinner in sight - where were all the guests??? Probably in the local pub drowning their sorrows!!! So, onto the rooms....on approach, one felt like they'd been submitted to an institution - the corridors were horridly dull and depressing and one could only think of being in prison for the night. On entering the room, my jaw hit the floor - this was basic decorating at it's utmost, no complimentary water, fruit etc. that one would expect in a castle. No luxury bedding, curtains etc - everything was basic and furntiure was circa 1970's - not an antique in sight. There was absolutely no class at all. Moving onto the bathroom - all I can say is that it was like a tardis from Dr Who!!! A plastic capsule that one would have difficulty swinging a cat in. In fact, I thought I was in a caravan - extremely disappointing, tacky and untasteful. If you like this castle, you haven't travelled or experienced good accomodation - take my advice, look elsewhere - a local b&b is a safer bet! Finally, the customer service skills were questionable in this venue, infact rather rude and untasteful - I'd say a good training course is called for as well as some home decorating & furnishing skills!!! Certain staff must certainly need to learn a thing or two about the hospitality industry!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

So here goes, there are a lot of mixed reviews on this hotel.
I have just returned from a 1 night stay in a family room for 4 people which cost £207 B&B.
The hotel is in a Fantastic location. The outside of the hotel as impressive as it is could use a little TLC.
The public areas of the hotel are well maintained, clean and very welcoming. The staff are great, not as pushy as other reviews would leave you to believe. Yes, we were told about the paintings, the artist and the Lightbox, but this was no more than 10 minutes of my time. To be honest, why shouldn't an owner/artist give himself a high five sometimes.
The rooms are a different story! Very spacious and clean! The furniture was from the 70s so felt very out of place in the location. The beds were modern divans, but I think I had the best nights sleep I've had in a long time. There was a DVD player and a good TV service although the 21" TV was a bit small.

The breakfast was great and nothing was too much trouble, the kids got exactly what they asked for and the English Breakfast was perfect.

As other reviews have mentioned, the Art is a bit random and out of place in some areas, you either like it or you don't.

The thing that I found most bizarre though was the random pictures in the lobby of "friends of Camelot", which some of them were obviously not taken on location.

I read the reviews before I stayed and decided to go anyway based on the location of the hotel.
It wasn't exceptional, but we had a great weekend nonetheless.

• Stayed August 2011

Been to Camelot Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!