“Eerie and beautiful” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 16 things to do in Tintagel
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Located below Tintagel Castle, the birthplace of King Arthur, this cave is believed to be where Merlin lived. The caves are accessible from a footpath, but fill with water at high tide.
Kendal, England, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
“Eerie and beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

The cave is open at both ends looking out to the Atlantic. The walls are lined with crystalline rocks of utter beauty and one can feel Merlin's presence there on an armchair made of golden rock. So so glad we visited this magical place - it will stay with me for a long long time.

Visited June 2013

Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
“A cave, nothing spectacular”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Only accessible at low tide down some steep steps and requires some climbing over huge rocks, boulders, etc. Had expected to see some signs, description about what we were looking at

Windsor, United Kingdom
39 attraction reviews
“lovely”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

it is lovely, but you need to get your timing right, when the tide is in you cannot get down to the cave. Also getting down to the cave itself is a little hazardous, you need to be fit to jump from the steps onto the rocks to get to the beach, if you are not fit this is impossible. We took the dog he is a big dog, we had to help lift him up the rocks to get him back up to the steps.

New England, Old England
35 attraction reviews
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Please do yourself a favour and buy a Tides book! We didn't plan well enough to spend sufficient time in the cave, but rushed down as the tide was coming in. The surf is strong and heavy and really comes in quickly so my shoes got a bit damp but was I bothered? Not a bit of it -

First, the atmosphere cannot be beaten. The place FEELS magical. And it's free. Unbelievable.

Second - Be warned! You do have to descend a staircase which abruptly ends and jump off (sit and slide off for me) onto a pile of rocks and navigate them to get to the sandy area by the mouth of the cave. The Man was having kittens as he is (justifiably) afraid I am going to fall and break another bone, but we'd come some distance to see this and no way was I going to stand fifty yards from it and not go inside, so off I went -

Last... I wish I'd had time to go all the way through the cave, which curves around and has an opening on either side of the island, but the water was already rushing in. So we took our photo (he duly followed me down once he realized I was determined - he's so good) and beat feet out there in a hurry. The photo of us came out beautifully but I do wish we'd had more time to take more pictures and explore. The feeling in the cave is powerful and the vibration is thick and I would like to spend time here again some day.

My children, ages 11 & 9, were not with us on this occasion but I believe they would have had a wonderful, wonderful time, and could easily have passed an hour here, perhaps two.

Bristol, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
“Magical and good fun for kids”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

This cave is a great place for kids to explore and excite them with stories of Merlin :-) It goes all the way under the island that Tintagel Castle is on. But be careful you don't get stranded by the tides as the cave gets filled with water.

The pebbles in the cave are a beautiful shimmery slate. A fun place to visit and you don't have to pay the National Heritage fee to enter.