“A long wait for a sandwich :-(” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood, British, Contemporary
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Snaith, United Kingdom
“A long wait for a sandwich :-(”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Visited on 11/4 as we just fancied a quick light lunch while in St Mawes for an hour or so....

When we arrived there was only one other table taken & those people had already ordered their food....we sat at a table by the window, had our drink order taken & then 5 minutes later we ordered our food...we were quickly told that there were no mussels as the seafood delivery had not arrived... thankfully we only wanted a sandwich

We sat & waited while first one courier delivery arrived .....and then about 10 minutes later another (possibly a fridge) when the chef had to come down to help take the delivery ....... eventually after about 30 bum numbing minutes on some rather hard wooden chairs the person who took our orders came & said sorry for the delay but my wife's sandwich was just taking a little crisping......another 10 minutes passed before our 2 sandwiches arrived.

To be fair, my wife's sandwich was warm & tasty, but all I could taste with my Ham & Cheese was the thick granary bread .... the ham & cheese were both lost :-(

All I can say is I was pleased that I decided to take the all day parking ticket option rather than the hour we were actually planning to stay for

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
CaiKrum, Owner at The Watch House, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you very much for visiting us while in St Mawes. I am very sorry about the time it took for your sandwiches to arrive. There is no excuse for that long of a wait and all we can say is that we promise to do better next time. I hope you managed to enjoy the rest of your time in St Mawes and we apologise again for the time it took for your sandwiches.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Delicious!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We came back to this restaurant again 18 months later and the food was still delicious. It took a little longer this time for our food to be served but there was only one waiter in the entire restaurant that night - perhaps it was due to the quieter season. the restaurant was still almost fully occupied and the waiter was very charming indeed. My lemon sole was yummy and fresh - caught on the day in the Cornish sea I suppose. I was so full after my scallop starter and lemon sole main, and was so gutted I had no room for dessert. I am sure we will be back for dinner here again we next visit St Mawes.

Visited March 2013
CaiKrum, Owner at The Watch House, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
It was lovely to have you eat with us again and I'm glad that everything was just at delicious the second time around. I'm glad you enjoyed your Scallops and Lemon Sole, we are very luck to be in such a great spot for fresh local seafood! Thank you for taking the time to write another nice review and we look forward to seeing you next time you are in town.
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Great service and a lovely menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Lovely food and charming staff. It made a big difference to have charming staff who didn't seem to find that we had two unruly children with us and understood about the quirks of the very young.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
CaiKrum, Owner at The Watch House, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for the review and for visiting us with your family. It's our aim to ensure that The Watch House is children friendly and I'm glad that all four of you had a great time. We look forward to seeing you all again next time you visit St Mawes.
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing food and great value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We came here for dinner and were blown away by the food and the service! I had the crab salad to start and the seafood linguine main which were both delicious.

When the bill came we were pleasantly surprised as it was great value for money.

Finally, I can't commend the service enough. The restaurant was busy but the service was impeccable.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
CaiKrum, Owner at The Watch House, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for the lovely review. We are glad that you had such a wonderful dinner and that you found the meal a great value for money. We work very hard to put together a fresh local menu that is also reasonably priced and it is wonderful to have such positive feedback. We hope to see you again next time you are in St Mawes.
Saltford
“Relaxed, friendly and very high standard of food. Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We were staying nearby for the Easter break and heard of The Watch House. We ate there twice as it was so good. The restaurant has simple and fresh over two floors with excellent views especially from the second floor. The staff were very friendly and relaxed.

The fish dishes were truly excellent with a good selection especially with the specials. I also had the rump steak which is served in herb and garlic butter which was to die for. My daughter had a chicken and gammon pie which was rich but delicious.

It wasn't cheap but good value as the quality of the food was really excellent! Book as it is nearly always fully booked.

• Visited April 2013