“Disaster!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in St Mawes
Oldham, United Kingdom
“Disaster!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We booked the hotel independently for 3 nights - the first night in a standard room because no superior rooms were available, and the other 2 nights in a superior room overlooking the harbour where the view was very pleasant. Didn't sleep well in the cramped standard room because there was an air con unit or similar below our room which kept us awake most of the night. The superior room at the front was OK, nothing special and definitely nothing 'superior' about it except for the view. The bathroom including the towels needed updating, and didn't expect plaster to be falling off the walls in several places in the newly refurbished bedroom. Our 'superior' room wasn't cleaned on the second day and too late to do anything about it when we arrived back at the hotel.
The food was both deplorable and on the whole unpalatable. Little choice for breakfast with very, very small portions. We had breakfast the first morning, ate out the second and just had a drink the third morning. On arrival the first night just after 8pm after a 250+ miles drive to get there we were told the kitchen was closed. Very reluctantly they gave us fish & chips which, with hindsight, we would have been better going to the local chippy. Left most of the meal, paid extra the second night for the A La Carte and left most of that too since it was tasteless, poorly cooked and didn't always represent what was advertised on the menu - what appeared to be frozen vegetables too were tasteless. So disheartened we didn't bother with a dessert. We ate out the third night even though we had paid for the evening meal. Maybe good value for Shearings coach travellers on a package holiday, but definitely not good value for money for independent travellers. I complained to Bay Hotels directly after our stay in September and it took them 6 weeks to reply with a very general letter only acknowledging my observations with no mention of improvements. We will not be staying here again, and certainly would not recommend.

Room Tip: 'Superior' rooms have the best view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ShipandCastleHotel, General Manager at The Ship and Castle Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed review following a recent stay with us. It is very disappointing to read we failed to meet your expectations.

I will investigate thoroughly with the team all of your comments and take action where possible to improve the hotel in all areas. However I can confirm the room you were staying in has been refurbished.

It is unusual to get such negative comments about our food, something which guests do generally enjoy and where we have made vast improvements this year, many other reviews highlight this.

Once again thank you for your comments
Kind Regards
David McDonald

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Best value for money lovely staff, very nice clean rooms, Lots of choice on the menu and food was excelant
Enjoyed it all. worth a visit if staying down that way.
We where lucky because the weather was perfect as well

Room Tip: Up Grade every time
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely comments, I will ensure the team get to see these. I hope to see you again in St Mawes - where of course the sun always shines!

Kind Regards
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We visited as part of Bay & Country holiday. Upgraded room to superior which I think made all the difference listening to comments from other guests. Had fantastic view across the harbour, unfortunately couldnt open the patio door as the door hadle had snapped off prior to our arrival. When I asked about it being repaired was told it would be done by Thursday (but it wasn't) when i asked at reception how i would get out of room if there was a fire in the hall outside the room , the manager who was sitting in his office called out "that wont happen" Fotunately there wasn't a fire but thought his comments were rude and lacked any customer care. Waiter Zoltan deserves special mention, was always very helpful and courteous. Food was good with option to choose from a la carte menu if you wished. Whatever you do dont ask for liquer coffee!! Although on menu waiters couldnt do one neither could bar staff,eventually ended up with cup of black coffee with a liquer in it !!! Will use company again but will always upgrade room.

Room Tip: Upgrade to superior room with sea view, only problem is if there is any entertainment on in the bar...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. It is pleasing to see you enjoyed your time with us and I will make sure Zoltan is made aware of your praise, he will be over the moon.

It is disappointing to see you mention me in a negative light, I can only assume this is a matter of mistaken identity as upon checking it seems I was on holiday when you stayed with us. I will though ensure I re-train all my front of house team, because the comments your received from "the manager" were not acceptable. You will though be pleased to know the door has been fixed.

I am very pleased to see you mention our food in a positive light, we have worked hard to improve this area this year and generally this has been well received by our guests. I will though be sure to give more training on Liquor Coffees and apologies you were unable to have one whilst with us.

I hope to see you again and once again thank you for your feedback.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

My room is very cramped, I only have a bath, no shower. The bar is very expensive. The wifi is only in the public areas, not in my room.
Overall I am thoroughly disappointed.
I would never recommend this hotel. I'm very apprehensive about the meal I'm about to have.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share you view with readers, it is such a shame you did this on trip advisor not to a memebr of the team who could have taken action to recify the issues raised. It is true that some of our rooms only have a bath but there were alternative rooms available which we could have moved you to had we been made aware. Our bar prices are of the same level as all other establishements in St Mawes, something we are proud of particularly being that hotels as a rule would be more expensive than pubs/bars.

Our complementary WIFI is offered in public areas only but generally this is sufficient for our guests, I will though make a note of your comments. We are currently considering increasing the coverage to include bedrooms.

I trust that you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us.

Once again thank you for your feedback

sussex uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

overall extremely pleased, comfy accommodation, good quality food.Pleasant bar area with thanks to John. Thanks to David and John for trying to helpl me with my laptop and Wi-fi. Attentive dining room staff

Room Tip: room 226 was good nice and quiet, also has a bath
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
ShipandCastleHotel, General Manager at The Ship and Castle Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time taken to review the hotel. It is nice to see your comments as "first time coachies" Shearings holidays work closely with us to provide excellent value holidays taking the stress of driving away from guests.

I am delighted to be mentioned as will John, but overall its nice to read you rate our accommodation as comfy, food of a good quality and team attentive.

Hope to see you again
Wrexham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We visited the Ship and Castle on a Shearings holiday for a week recently and were very impressed with this hotel.The staff particularly in the dining room were excellent-very efficient and pleasant.Our room was clean and comfortable -we were on the side but could still see the harbour.The decore was a bit tired and the towels were rather thin and were not changed every day.The lounge bar and dining room were nicely decorated with lovely views of the harbour.The food was the best we have had in any of the shearings hotels we have stayed in.Would definately stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on front of hotel have a terrace which would enhance your stay.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ShipandCastleHotel, General Manager at The Ship and Castle Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and positive comments about the hotel. I will ensure all the staff get to read your comments.

I hope to you will join us again soon

Sudbury Suffolk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Our first trip with Shearings, the hotel room was very disappointing, dirty walls, damp patches on the ceiling, torn curtains and bed cover.
The bathroom was very antiquated with mould and a toilet tissue dispenser resembling a public convenience, we had no hot water until around 8.00 am every day, very inconvenient!
The bed was very uncomfortable, pillows equally. The windows had seen better days!
The plus points were the staff who were very polite, helpful and efficient.
The food was generally tasty but the veg section of the kitchen needs improvement, i.e. overcooked and small portions.
Coffee was awful.
Lovely views, this hotel has the potential to be very good if fully upgraded.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments about the hotel. I am sorry to read you did not find the room and its decor to be up to our usual standard, we have an on going refurbishment programme which has seen a large amount of money spent in the last 2 years on upgrading the bar, lounge, restaurant, reception, cafe, corridors and many bedrooms. In the winter we will no doubt progress further and attend to those rooms now needed attention.

Having said that some of your comments are easily addressed, and had the team been made aware of them I am sure they would have taken action to make your stay with us more comfortable. I regret that we were not given this opportunity.

On a positive note I will ensure the staff see your comments praising them, they work very hard and deserve credit.

Once again thank you for your review

David McDonald

Been to The Ship and Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!