“Fantastic food and a friendly welcome!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Vegan, Vegetarian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Bideford, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food and a friendly welcome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed eating at the Bean Inn this summer. We ate there twice in one week as it was so good. My 4 year old son is an incredibly fussy eater but, at the Bean Inn, the friendly staff couldn't do enough to cater to his needs. My husband and I tried several dishes - the halloumi and the avocado and walnut starters were fab! The Moroccan, Thai red curry, and stuffed mushroom mains were all equally imaginative and tasty. What came across so strongly to us was Paula's passion for cooking and serving delicious vegetarian food. Thank you Bean Inn for our lovely food, we hope to return soon!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

91% Recommend
Cheltenham
“We ate out in St Ives for 6 days, this is the only place we went back to”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

The general quality of food in St Ives has improved hugely in the past few years. Not once did we have a bad meal. However seafood, even good seafood, can be a little wearing so we decided to try the Bean Inn. It's in an unprepossessing house and set in two downstairs rooms along with a B & B. Service is a little informal but friendly, music is good. But...you go there for the food. Innovative, tasty, indulgent vegetarian food can be hard to come by but it's here in spades. Even if you don't normally eat veggie I think it's unlikely you'll be disappointed. Prices are good too.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“We go there all the time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We go here several times every year and love it! The food and atmosphere are always amazing and it's great that (unlike other restaurants we've been to), you're not rushed through your meal in an attempy to clear the table. Plus the chocobocker glory is to die for!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Good, but not amazing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We ate here whilst in St Ives recently, and I must admit that on the basis of reviews here, we were expecting something quite special - and we were a little disappointed.

The menu was not boring or predictable, certainly, but it was also not hugely imaginative. It wasn't precisely in butternut-squash-and-goat's-cheese territory, but I have been to much more creative veggie places. I am sort of wondering if some of the very positive reviews are from people who were not expecting much from a veggie place, and were pleasantly surprised.

To start, I had griddled halloumi and my husband garlic mushrooms on toast. The toast was rather soggy for the mushroom juice, although my halloumi was much better. For mains, my husband had a veggie stir fry and I had potato cakes and dhal. Mine was quite good, but my husband's meal was honestly something we could have made at home, though perfectly tasty. For dessert, we had a fruit crumble which was excellent - but then a cheese board with just two cheeses on it, which is not a fantastic range.

I also found the service a bit odd. We saw at least 4 different waiting staff and we were one of only three tables that I could see, so there seemed to be more wait staff than tables, but the speed of service was a bit....leisurely. For example, it took about 10 minutes for the bill to arrive. The waitress didn't give us the opportunity to add a tip on the machine, and then tossed a "thanks, bye" at us over her shoulder as she left the dining room. I'm afraid we didn't leave a tip and although I would normally choose a veggie restaurant, I don't think we would come here again when in St Ives, since there are so many really great places to select from!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
St. Ives, United Kingdom
“Perfect in every way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

What a fabulous place. From decor to food you cannot fault this gem. Staff are so attentive without being intrusive. Nothing is to much of a problem. Even the girls out back will come and welcome you. I must admit to enjoying meat, but this vegetarian could just sway me !! It's that good I bought the book !! Quite rightly titled 'yum!'
Remember to book though as this little beaut is deservedly busy.

• Visited July 2013