“Good meal, good service - just a little casual” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 106 Restaurants in St Ives
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Good meal, good service - just a little casual”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

We dined here as a couple on Friday 15th August 2014. Let me say, every dish was superb.

However, the service was lacking. Not really so much the "service" as such, more the "delivery" to the table.

Firstly - I didn't like my wine cooled in a plastic beach bucket thanks, someone felt it was quirky perhaps, I thought it a bit naff.

Secondly - when food is served to the table, particularly with complex dishes as here, there needs to be a description, a refresher to the diner of what the dish comprises, this is a part of the presentation of the meal - it was lacking completely.

Thirdly - if you're out of John Dory and need to replace it then be open and honest as to what you're replacing it with. Whilst the "rock bass" was very good indeed - I don't think it's a recognised species (other than in Great Lakes
of North America according to Wikipedia anyway) nobody knew what it was and our waitress confessed she'd never heard if it until that evening. I'm no expert (although I can certainly cook fish well and am familiar with most fish caught locally) but frankly, calling the fish by its real name is fine by me, there's nothing wrong with pollack or ling or what ever it was and cooked the way it was tonight it was superb. Why the pretence? Just be proud of what you do, it was superb.

Desert was excellent. See you in October.

London, United Kingdom
“Top beach cafe!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

This was a family treat for my birthday carefully selected through Trip advisor. We were not disappointed. When making the reservation we were assured a table with a view, which was very kind. We had a great meal, food was very well presented and tasted great. The view and service was perfect! The only problem is that I want to go again!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London
“Great food and views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

My wife and I were very impressed by the quality of the food at this extremely busy restaurant overlooking the St Ives bay. I ordered some Cornish oysters, which were delicious, the only complaint was that they were not completely detached from their shell. Who prepared them should have turned them to make sure. We had the Thai fish cake and the blow torched mackerel. Both very well presented and very tasty. Followed by the lemon sole and the monkfish curry (the latter is a must ). All the flavours very well balanced and the food perfectly cooked. For pudding we had Pimms dessert (a deconstructed Pimms accompaniements made in various different deserts) and a chocolate brûlée (also very tasty, however, the brûlée had been cooked at a higher than required temperature causing it to curdle just a bit). After we asked for the bill, we also received a complimentary selection of petit four which were very good. The only negative comment would be that, although, our waitress did smile, all the other looked like if they rather be somewhere else and a weird smell in the toilets.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Lovely restuarant with great views of St Ives”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

We have been dining here for the past 4/5 years - every time we come on holiday to Cornwall. Each year has been great - so I'm really pleased to recommend this restaurant for consistency of service.

Food tends to favor Fish, though my wife who isn't a fish fan always manages to find something she likes. Service has always been good - when they are really busy though you sometimes have to ask for drinks. Food has always been delivered in a timely fashion.

If you are planning on visiting I'd recommend using their online booking function for peak season evening times. I made our bookings 6 weeks before we went. Also don't be scared about selecting the outside seating - we've always gone for this option. Outside heaters and blankets are provided if it does get a bit cool and they lower the sides covers if the weather is poor. Sitting outside you are rewarded with unbroken views of St Ives.

Though we haven't taken our young children there there are always family's dinning their and children look well catered for. Plus being right on the beach they can play in clear view if they get bored!

Look forward to may more great meals in the future.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“What a fantastic place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

This is our 3rd visit over 12 years. Holidays elsewhere and visits abroad never live up to our experiences at Porthminster Cafe. Excellent food brilliant service in this busy, buzzy place, oh and I nearly forgot to tell you about the view. Wow!!!