“Great restaurant on the beach” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 124 Restaurants in St Ives
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Olney, United Kingdom
“Great restaurant on the beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Porthminster beach is clean, tidy and lovely. It has the most amazing restaurant-Porthminster café, booking essential. The food is excellent-we have never had a bad meal. Puddings fab!

Please find a small area in the gazebo area to take dogs so we can visit even on wet days

Pontypridd
“A Friendly Welcome & First Class Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Despite being regular visitors to St Ives this was our first visit to the Porthminster Cafe for an evening meal and we were not disappointed. It is a wonderful location but this would count for little if the food were not up to standard. Well I can truly say it was. The atmosphere was relaxed and the staff were efficient but at the same time extremely friendly. It is not always easy to marry the two. I had the soup to start and the fillet steak. The former was tasty and plentiful; the latter one of the best fillets I have tasted. My wife skipped a starter but was fully of praise for her Turbot main. All in all an experience verging on the unforgettable. I would recommend a visit.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
“Good spot for breakfast, but a little disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

We decided to stop off here for breakfast before taking the coastal walk to Carbis Bay and, judging by the high prices, we expected a very good experience. However, I left with mixed views. Firstly, the plus points: the spot is stunning - sitting on a heated, decked terrace, looking out to sea is always going to be a winner. Also, they serve real tea! However, there were a few negative points: even though it was around 11:00am on a Monday morning, the atmosphere felt a little but stuffy - despite the waitress being friendly, she did make an odd comment about our dog. Then, the food - I had a standard cooked breakfast for around £8. It was good, but I think they tried too hard attempting to make it different. They had home made baked beans, for example, which were a little strange, and the home made hash brown looked good, but tasted like a bland boiled potato. I am not saying this place should serve the same food as a greasy spoon, but they could simplify things a little. Next time, I think I'll grab a bacon roll at the cafe underneath!!

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Broadway, United Kingdom
“A surprisingly excellent meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

We had lunch here in October and were very well impressed by the whole experience. The location is pretty good, the ambiance nicely casual and the service very relaxed, as it should be at that time of day. But the best by far was the food, most especially the spicing which contrived to be both flavoursome and subtle. Not inexpensive but well worth the cost. We will most certainly go again the next time we are down this way.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sheffield
“Lovely restaurant by the sea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

Don't be fooled by the name this is a restaurant with prices to match. We ate both breakfast and lunch here (different days). Breakfast good but expensive I felt and I think the Porthmeor Beach Cafe on opposite beach has the edge - but lunch was fantastic. I had a delicious special (hake in a miso glaze) and the caramelised banana was delicious. I would definitely return. It has a child friendly atmosphere but grown up friendly food (kids menu too) so great if you have young children and crave a proper meal out like you used to before they arrived and changed your life! Service friendly and efficient.

Visited October 2013