“EXCELLANT TWO WEEKS HOLIDAY.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Hollies

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St Ives
The Hollies
You added The Hollies to your Saves list
4 Talland Rd, St Ives TR26 2DF, England   |
Ranked #42 of 102 St Ives B&B and Inns
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“EXCELLANT TWO WEEKS HOLIDAY.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

Having stayed at the Hollies for 2weeks in july,I was wondering if the wedding party were staying at the same Hollies that we had the great pleasure of enjoying. On arrival we received a warm welcome , and a very welcome cup of tea, We were shown to our room by Bev, who ,couldn't have been more obliging. her manner delivered warmth, and genuinely concerned, that our stay would be satisfactory. After an excellent nights sleep, ( no dust to be seen anywhere, just the sound of seagulls) a first class breakfast was devoured, no mid -morning snack required. The service couldn't have been improved on,very able well organised waiting staff. Yes, not all the rooms are cavernous,but, they are the size that are the norm to be found in guest houses. Our stay at the Hollies couldn't have been improved on,and we are already looking forward to staying at the Hollies next year, with the beauty of St. Ives, and the hospitality given to us the result was a brilliant holiday,thanks,Bev and Ian for making it so.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

Second stay at the Hollies and again, a very positive and enjoyable experience. Run by a lovely couple, happy staff, beautiful surroundings, clean rooms and breakfast was super. Will return, a definate recommendation!! Best place we've stayed in at St Ives.

Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

We arrived in St. Ives for our close friend's wedding and were disappointed with the size of the room, yet we are not fussy and it was close to town and the wedding venue so at first it was not a problem. However my partner suffers from asthma and we were disgusted to find that the fan in the bedroom was caked in dust, literally millimetres thick on the blades of the fan. Obviously this could not then be used and we had trouble sleeping due to the heat. The size of the room was disappointing and it was not very clean or modern but we assumed that it was just luck of the draw and we knew we would not be spending too much time indoors. However during our stay the double room next door was not occupied for the full 4 nights and the door was left open. The room was far more spacious and we thought that as we had paid for 4 nights, a relitavely long stay at £80 a night, we should have been placed in a better room.
This pales in comparison to Beverley's attitude however. After the wedding we had ordered breakfast but not got up in the morning. We did not think that it would be a problem but refrained from ordering again the next night as we knew we would probably not surface before 9.30am when breakfast finishes. On our second to last day we left the B&B to find Beverley in the lounge. We said hello and she came out to us. She asked if we would be having breakfast the following morning as they had to throw it away for two mornings in a row. I apologised for the first morning and explained that we had not ordered again as we had felt bad about not getting up. Her reply was that if they had not cooked for us and we got up we would be very cross as we had paid for it. EXACTLY. We had already paid a ridiculous amount of money for a tiny room with breakfast included so surely it was our perogitive whether we had it or not? She then went on to say that on the evening of the wedding we had attended somebody had rang the doorbell looking for me at 1.45am. I apologised for this but she was very rude and continued to say that they did not appreciate being woken up by people looking for me. I again apologised and explained that I had not asked that person to ring the doorbell and that I could hardly be held responsible for their actions. She then replied that perhaps I could 'tell my fans that I was not available'. I'm sorry, but if you own a B&B then surely being woken in the night is a hazard of the job?! It turns out that a friend of ours was staying down the road and had lost his key and was hoping we could help. Luckily he was able to get into his accomodation and did not have to spend the night on the beach after being turned away from the Hollies. I feel as though she spoke to us like children and that if we had been an older couple (we are in our late 20's) that she would have completely changed her tune. I left the premises for the last day of our holiday on the verge of tears.
When we returned (very gingerly might I add) we went upstairs and I went to have a shower. In the bathroom, neatly folded, were the dirty, wet towels that we had left on the floor by the front door in order to be changed. I was disgusted and definitely felt that it had been done on purpose. We left this morning as quickly as possible hoping not to see Beverley. This is not the way a holiday anywhere should end, especially when you have spent £320 for the pleasure of a miniscule, dusty room (from which we both emerged with insect bites) with added abuse and a lack of clean towels.

troddy, Owner at The Hollies, responded to this review, August 2, 2010
Gosh what a story Firstly this guest booked the through Eviivo an on line booking system which has pictures and discriptions of all the rooms. When the guest phoned the day before her arrival to ask about chilling some wine for her I did ask if she had seen the room & the fact that its quirky she said yes its all fine. I asked her to leave the wine in the hall & we would give it back first thing the next morning. There was no mention of a small dirty room. I met her partner whilst he tucked into a harty breakfast no mention of small dirty room then. We & quite a few guest where woken that night by a youg man ringing the door bell at 1.45am. When my husband asked what the problem was he said he was locked out of hisB&B because it was so late & he rememberd that our guest could come & go as the pleased. I am sorry that I was a little blunt with this guest but we work 7 days a week somtimes 10hrs a day & I dont feel its very respectful or appropriate to not informe us they didnt want breakfast when they had orderd. it As for the towel insident they would have been changed after the second day had we been able to gain access to the room the towels had been smeared with an abundance of makeup & fake tan. Had the room really been as dirty dusty and cramped as this guest implies why did they spend so much time in it
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

four of us recently stayed at the hollies, for three nights i would love to say what a fantastic stay we had ,
We where all made to feel very welcome , the food was excellant , and the beds were the most comfy I've ever had the pleasure to sleep in , in a bed breakfast , everything was clean very modern , and just s short walk to town , I WOULD VERY MUCH RECOMMEND A STAY AT THE HOLLIES. what a brilliant bed and breakfast. I'd give them 5 stars.
Gary Palmer

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

I traveled to st Ives, it was beautiful! The Hollies was lovely, clean, friendly staff, warm welcome from the owners. The breakfast was really nice, the room was comfortable and homely. I would definitely come back again. Thanks for making my holiday!!
Mrs Linda Hamilton, Dublin

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Hove
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

I just got back from my first trip to the Hollies, I did alot of research before as my parents needed to be comfortable. I have to say I was not disappointed at all. We were greeted on arrival by Bev who was warm and welcoming.

Lots of advice of restaurants and helpful info about the area, on seeing my parents she moved us to a lower floor which was great, and no fuss at all. My parents upgraded to a superior room, which would put any 5star hotel room to shame, beautifully decorated and very comfortable.

Beds were very comfortable with high quality linen and everything was spotlessly clean.

Breakfast was fantastic and the fact they use local produce is great, it gave us all a good start to each morning.

Best B&B I have ever stayed at 5 Stars all round.

Thank you Bev for making our trip comfortable and pleasant, it was a much needed break for my family.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Berkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

We have been to this fantastic B&B before when it was just my wife and I. We loved it then & stayed in one of the sea view rooms .they are lovley.This year I supprised my wife with a short break With our 16 month old daughter .Its quite obviouse that the owners love children and cant be more accomodating and helpful.The house is spotless we had a family room with a bath & enough room for our travel cot so we were not charged for our baby.the breakfast is cooked to very high standard & served with a smile. WE LOVE THE HOLLIES

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Been to The Hollies? Share your experiences!