I booked a trip to The Atlantic Hotel over two months ago having checked on line, and then the next day spoken with the owner. I was booking a 4 night break for myself and an elderly lady who was looking forward to her first trip to Cornwall. The lady who was travelling with me has severe mobility problems, so it was essential that the hotel was Disability friendly, and that we/ she had a ground floor room. We were assured by the owner that even though the only room was booked out, she could transfer those guests to the 1st floor as there was no specific request on screen for them to have the ground floor room. We were also informed that there was five steps up to the front of the hotel, and then to enter our room we would have two steps down, this we confirmed as just about acceptable. Our booking was then confirmed by email, card details taken for confirmation, and all appeared to be fine.
Our trip was due to commence on Sunday 7th July 2013 and as stated was for 4 nights, we travelled down by car from Shropshire and this took 7 hrs, we then drove past the hotel as it has been renamed as The Casa Romana! and the name Atlantic was only in small writing on a board, we had to ask a local where it actually was.
The carpark was across a busy road (DISABLED FRIENDLY??) and there was eight steps up to the Hotel.. not until later were we told of a ramp..
My companion and I struggled up the steps with difficulty and her walker, we entered the Hotel and there was no one on reception. I finally found a lady working at the bar, she booked us in and asked for payment up front.. I'm afraid I felt like saying we hadn't booked a hotel to pay by the hour!!! I have never been asked to pay up front by a hotel.. well we paid and went to find our room... our ground floor room was up yet more stairs that my companion would never have managed, when I enquired what was going on, the girl went and got another lady, whom I presume was the owner, she refused to move the people who had been booked into our room..THEIR MISTAKE.... and was unable to offer any other accommodation.. eventually we got a refund, she suggested we try other hotels, we were given no numbers and she was not going to call them on our behalf.
We were left in a strange town 300 miles from home at 5.15pm on a sunday afternoon in July with no where to stay.. we were treated appallingly. When we left we had to go down three steps to get to the ramp, and unfortunately my companion lost her balance and fell heavily. The staff and owners never came to help, it was other guests and people using the bar that came to help us.
We ended up driving back up to St Columb to stay in a very welcoming and Disable friendly Premier Inn and drove back up to Shropshire yesterday 8th July 2013. Her holiday completely ruined by the total incompetence of that "Hotel". We strongly advise no disabled or people with mobility problems book there. They basically turned us out onto the street. A very bad experience, so much so that my companion has no desire to ever travel to Cornwall again, and who can blame her?
- Also Known As:
- The Atlantic Hotel St Ives
- The Atlantic Hotel
- Atlantic Hotel St Ives
- The Atlantic St Ives, Cornwall
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A charming mix of Accommodation - Lounge & Wine Bar and Authentic Italian Restaurant... BOOK DIRECT with us and receive 10% guest discount of food purchased from Casa Romano Restaurant & Romano's Bar here on site!! Ideally situated to enjoy St Ives and the magnificent West Cornwall coastline, We offer clean, comfortable, accommodation at a sensible price - perfect for a short stay, long weekend break or a full 2 week family holiday. Situated on the Carbis Bay side of St Ives, Ideally located for enjoying all that St. Ives has to offer but still provides easy access for exploring the rest of West Cornwall. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your The Atlantic reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.