“Very disappointing” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #64 of 103 St Ives B&B and Inns
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

This hotel let me down and, like other reviewers I feel I did not get what I paid for.

We struggled to find the hotel as they have heavily advertised their restaurant and not highlighted their accommodation.

* Once finding the hotel (and their car park which is on the other side of the road and is also poorly signposted) I had to wander around the hotel/ restaurant/ bar laden with luggage and a baby trying to find someone to accompany me to the reception so that I could check in.

* On checking in I was told that the family room I had booked had been set up as 3 single beds and if I wanted 2 of the beds made into a double I would have to ask at reception the following morning (??). Also the breakfast was not included - i'll come back to that!!

* On entering the family room I discovered that there was not enough room for my travel cot, so after a 7hr journey in torrential rain and with a very unhappy baby, I set about pushing beds together and creating pillow barriers so that I could have the baby in bed with me to ensure he wouldn't fall out of bed.

* On waking, the room was freezing cold as the radiator had been turned off. I thought about having a hot drink to warm up but there was no kettle in the room- just tea and coffee and cups (??).

* When trying to report the lack of kettle I couldn't find a single member of staff, at reception or otherwise to talk to. I was not the only guest roaming the hotel searching for staff - it was a saturday morning 8am and there were many guests wanting to check out and/or have breakfast but the restaurant was empty with the lights off.

* At half 8 a member of staff appeared and began sorting through the backlog of people. At this point I reported the kettle, the need for a double bed and also inquired about the use of an iron so that I could iron my son's shirt for the wedding we were attending- this was present in our room when we returned from the wedding.

* Now the breakfast, I was sure this was supposed to be included and after checking my confirmation email I discovered this was correct. After explaining this I was told it depended on when you booked as before the 31st July it is included after it is not. Fine. I showed them my email and received my breakfast. Unfortunately I had to verify this again the following morning.

So in conclusion I would not recommend this hotel, the staff were far and few between and needed a lot of prompting- for example on checking out at 10.30 am I had to walk back to the two members of staff stood chatting at the bar in the restaurant that we had just walked past laden with luggage as the reception was deserted and ask to check out.

Oh also the the plug in the sink in the bathroom was broken.

It just lacked professionalism and the basics you'd expect from a hotel/BnB.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed in a premium room for two nights. The room was very clean and tidy. The mattress was very comfortable. The staff was attentive and very helpful. However, I agree with the previous user that they were a bit lazy.The food was very nice as well. They took care of the special dietary requirements. Over all it was a good experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Room ok, although quite a climb. Shower poor, Fan not working. Staff sullen and non communicative. Service poor to shoddy. Can not seem to clear tables, Glasses, Ashtrays etc. ( 3 - 4 hourly) outside tables still not cleared at 9 in the morning. Food - i.e. Pizza sub standard - again, no service worth speaking off - and slow - definitely nothing to do with Italian.

Room Tip: simply avoid if you do not want your holiday spoiled by sullen staff.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

A generous 3 stars here I think. In all fairness we were only staying a night but the shower only ran cold and the bed was right up against a wall meaning that we both had to climb out of one side.

The rooms were clean but the bathroom fan was like a road drill and there was no full length mirror; bit of drawback when you're attending a wedding! At the end of the day it's the small things and given the amount of choice in a place like St Ives we wouldn't be back here I'm afraid.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
hertfordshire, england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We stayed at The Atlantic for one night whilst travelling around Cornwall. We really wanted to stay in St. Ives but the accomodation was limited by the time we got around to booking, but this was a lovely walk away, along the costal path into the centre of St. Ives.

The rooms were clean and well decorated and the breakfast was lush. I'd recommend this to travellers to the area if they didn't mind being a little outside of the main St. Ives area. We didn't eat in the restaurant so can't comment, although it looked nice.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

I am bothering to write this as we stayed here last weekend and we were really looking forward to a break and decided to book this hotel. We feel stupid for not checking it's reviews o here and feel like that is down to us so we weren't going to write this BUT a week later we both still feel 'ripped' of and conned by this hotel and don't want anyone else to have their break ruined so here is our experience and we hope it stops you wasting your holiday and money.

We paid £95 for a double room with a sea view which was SUPPOSED to be a discounted rate but as regular hotel and B&B users this was the price we pay for a quality room and service, however this is not what we got. This hotel is not worth £50 a room let alone £95. It is neither luxurious or comfortable and you would definitely get a better deal elsewhere in St Ives. Even a Travelodge or Premier Inn is far superior to these rooms.

1. The hotel is hard to find as it is badly signed on the outside because they have concentrated on advertising their newly refurbished restaurant and reception.

2. We paid extra for a sea view which in all fairness we did get BUT the window was filthy and covered in bird pooh and did not shut or open properly. She said she would get the manger to have a word with us but despite seeing him at breakfast he totally ignored our complaint and did not even speak to us or apologise for any of the stress.

3. The room was tiny and the bedside tables, chest of drawer and welcome pack were all very sticky, the bathroom was tiny and had an old fashioned electric shower-no power showers or luxury bathrooms in this hotel. The decor is fake plastic marble tiles and the floor and shower both had someone else's pubic hairs on them.

4. We complained to the receptionist about the room and she moved us instantly and was extremely helpful. The room we were moved to did have a window that opened but again it was so very dirty and covered in bird pooh-and again only opened about three inches at the top so it really wasn't worth paying the extra fro a sea view!

5. The shower and toilet were again like something out of a very badly decorated and cheap B&B and we doubt if anyone would find them acceptable or worth the amount this hotel charges.

4. The door was missing from the wardrobe.

5. The pillows and quilt in both rooms were the 'value' range and had obviously seen better days. I took photos of them if anyone wants a look. They were threadbare, dirty and personally i wouldn't even use them as a dog quilt. We both got bitten in the night and had to remove the quilt and sleep with just a quilt cover. I have put up a photo of the quilt!

6. The doors throughout the hotel bang shut every time they are used and kept waking us up until the early hours of the morning and we could also hear someone snoring. The toilet takes about twenty minutes to fill up after using it which was not only annoying but also added to our uncomfortable and mainly sleepless night.

7. The owners have obviously never slept in their own hotel bedrooms, they are uncomfortable depressing and the curtains were pointless with no black out blinds so we got woken up with bright sunshine at 5am.

8. We went down for breakfast and one of the reasons we had booked this hotel was because they advertise 'fresh' coffee. We watched the waitress go into the kitchen with the coffee pot and a jar of nescafe and come back with a full pot of coffee. This is fine if you like Nescafe but I don't like being deceived and lied to. Despite it being Nescafe which is one of the better instant coffees the waitress had managed to make it so badly that it was undrinkable. We both love fresh coffee and the best part of our entire stay was the fresh coffee we were then made by the chef after we complained about the undrinkable coffee. He tipped all of it down the sink after agreeing that it was 'foul' and made us a 'proper' fresh coffee as well as being extremely helpful and pleasant.

9. The smell from the breakfast was unpleasant and we suspected that the sausages had seen better days so we did not eat them and the entire plate was covered in a thick layer of oil from the eggs which were uncooked and the whites still runny. We had to chase the waitress for sauces and orange juice which was ...yep you guessed it...nasty cheap processed stuff (nothing quality here folks) and then to add insult to injury we were presented with a bill for dinner the night before which we did not have - we did not even enter the dining room. They also said they had all our credit card details and they seemed to be accessible to all the reception staff which i found worrying despite their protests that they would not use our details without our permission.

10. We went into St Ives and there are a lot more hotels nearer to the centre with a similar pricing scale but much much higher standards. I would recommend checking out all the other options before being conned into staying at this hotel. From previous experience of other hotels in the UK we were amazed that it had four stars as the standards of the rooms are appalling and equivalent to a shoddy uncared for B&B.

11. The whole point of our break was to have a bit of luxury and a rest. We got three hours sleep, no luxury and had to complain non stop. We were both really glad to leave this hotel and obviously will never go back.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

Ate here a lot during our hol mainly the seafood linguini had it 3x very good everytime different though. Staff young and proffesional very clean, also desserts really different and so fresh.would definatley recommend didnt stay there so cant comment on rooms.

• Stayed July 2012

Been to The Atlantic? Share your experiences!