“DAMP AND MUSTY” 3 of 5 stars
Review of St. Ives Holiday Village

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in St Ives
St. Ives Holiday Village
You added St. Ives Holiday Village to your Saves list
Lelant, St Ives TR26 3HX, England   |
Ranked #21 of 25 Hotels in St Ives
Plymouth
“DAMP AND MUSTY”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

All the usual things you would expect from a holiday park. Basic lodge I stayed in would have been fine but for the damp, dank mouldy smell. There is no heating and no natural light. The trees surrounding the lodges look lovely but block out every glint of natural light. On the sunniest, hottest day of the year, I had to put the lights on. The damp and dusky smell is overwhelming. When I got home, I had to wash everything to get rid of the dank smell. Only a serious upgrade (heating and electrics) in the lodges will save this otherwise nicely appointed holiday park. There are no electric sockets in the bedrooms. Some decent heating may dry the place out, but it was damp. :-(

• Stayed June 2014
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Hello Chrissy

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us such an honest review.

With regard to the damp smell we are well aware of the reason but it is so difficult for us to deal with. Sadly, some people will occupy a holiday unit and not open a window for the duration of their stay. This was probably the case with the previous occupants of the chalet you stayed in. Cooking and sleeping with windows closed will slowly take its toll.

With regard to the accommodation, no doubt you noticed that the park is in the midst of a complete rebuild. Many of the older chalets are being demolished and replaced with fantastic new lodges. As you will appreciate, such a massive investment does not happen overnight.

We really hope to see you again in the near future.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Bridgwater, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

My family and I needed a break after a very traumatic time. When we arrived at the village we got a lovely welcome from the reception team. Our budget chalet was nestled in the woods. A beautiful spot. So safe for my Grandsons, they were able to play safely outside and we could watch them through the window. The chalet was clean and functional, the bed linen crisp and clean. I would have preferred a thicker duvet as I feel the cold. The chalet had every thing we needed. We choose to cook for ourselves in the neat well appointed kitchen. We could have done with a drying rack for the towels. The pool was clean and well supervised, the evening entertainment was fun, I actually played bingo, did I just admit to that. !!! The Saturday night entertainer was excellent with material to suit all ages.we were lucky with the weather, the break was just what we needed and we returned home relaxed and refreshed and determined to return at the earliest opportunity.

Hello Margaret

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review. We are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and how helpful and friendly the staff were.

We pride ourselves on our family feel at John Fowler Holidays, and are delighted to hear that you shared that experience.

Our returning customers are so important to us and regularly make up 50% of our visitors, so we look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

midlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

This place is so bad it's scarey!! I know all about forests and insects ect ect not an issue m
the slugs on the bathroom wall was a bit more than one wants to stomach !! Just down right filthy slum and the people who had been in same situation as myself said yes they keep trying to wear you down by offering more places not much better then management comment if you'd of said we could do something yes really !!!! I was first given what a member of staff told me was one of the worst darkest chalets on sight so we went back to reception (end of the bar ) and was offered what was said to be a privately owned brick built chalet but bed was squashed against a wall not suitable so was then offered what the lady said was an Oakley it was filthy on the entrance with dirty carpet too tired to spend any more time walking around this filthy place so said we would tolerate it all bedding was a joke which was kept stored in a shed out side thin well worn with john fowler written all over them as if we want to be reminded of that!! I went out bought sleeping bags and pillows and linen for my two grandchildrens beds they were scared to sleep in them ! I had to buy pillows and duvet and linens for my husband and myself to sleep in ,and cleaning gear to get through the night, my daughter sent me an email to head office next day and it was ignored by a lady called Jackie who I was advised to talk to but needed all my concerns in an email before anything could be done ! So I phoned Head Office again and another lady said Jackie had gone home without any concern about my situation and was told to go back to site see Matt the manager didn't know why he didn't seem that bothered the night before when I told him how awful I thought the situation was! But I managed to go back get a quick turn around in chalet to get out again to go to a resturant and popped along to see Matt , but he had finished earlier I saw the deputy manager who said he had got a time share become available which was a bit late in the day for that by now !! And told him we had decided to cut out three days down to the two days and that we would be leaving in the morning and who could I speak to for a compensation claim for having to buy bedding and the misery of such a terrible experience !!! He said not John Fowler would have to be Hoseasons the booking agent I don't care who it is but somebody needs to do something John Fowler Directors and people responsible for this sight need to be very ashamed of themselves ! They got an handful of new lodges at front of site they show off and grass is kept neater here !! But the rest of site needs closing down !! I would not ever make a drink in the one we stopped in it cost me£195 for two nights of hell ! I had to guide children up path around all the dog mess most awful cess pit in Cornwall ! This is a true review based on facts of our experience ! Now I have received out of good will a apology from hoseasons , but John Fowler have totally ignored all complaints they are a very ignorant company

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
It was such a shame to read your remarks regarding your stay at our holiday park when most of our guests have a great time.

I can only apologise that the issues you encountered did not seem to be rectified in a timely manner and that you received no apology at that time. It is more often the case that our staff are praised for their friendliness and cheery manner and I am again very sorry that you did not appear to experience this.

I shall be contacting you through the Tripadvisor messaging service and I feel sure that the matter will be settled to everyone’s satisfaction.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

My partner and I booked through the Sun holiday scheme, total cost with entertainment passes and linen hire came to 115 for 3 nights. I'm not sure if it is much more than that to book normally but still a pretty reasonable price for our weekend away. Luckily we had been booked into a silver chalet as I was a bit concerned before looking at some of the reviews especially as holidaying with our 6 month old son. The chalet was lovely very clean, yes a bit dated but had everything we needed, pretty spacious for the 3 of us. The clubhouse was quite big,reasonable entertainment, pretty cheesy but good fun. We really enjoyed our stay, it was relaxed and the staff were helpful if we needed them which we didn't really. Only downside was the pool, too cold for our baby he didn't like it in the toddler pool and the changing room showers too hot so I couldn't shower him after - not worth me mentioning to anyone at the time as it's a big mission to get baby ready for swimming etc so would have only gone once over the weekend and that was it so bit of a shame. Overall a pleasant stay, and St. Ives is beautiful as a place!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Hello Sophie

Thank you for such a lovely review, we really appreciate you taking the time.

Your comments have been passed to all departments, especially the cleaning team, who will be delighted to hear your thoughts.

We pride ourselves on our family feel at John Fowler Holidays, and are delighted to have such loyal customers as yourselves. We really hope to see you again in the near future.

Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

This was my 2nd visit to St Ives Holiday Village, after many years of staying in the town, we decided to take the kids (and parents) and stay here on a Sun Holiday break. We had upgraded to Silver, paid for linen but not the entertainment/pool passes as we wanted to go into the town as much as poss so total cost for 4adults and 2children was £102 to stay here. I was served by Christine at reception, who changed our accommodation to an Oakley bungalow as this would be more suited to our needs. It was right by the park entrance, with parking for both cars but nice and secluded by the woods so it was lovely and quiet and my toddler could run around freely chasing the seagulls. It was cleaned to an excellent standard, and had plenty of room for our travel cot too. We only used the microwave and toaster but it had a cooker and lots of crockery if you wanted to eat in, there was lots of storage and also board games for the kids. The beds were all very comfy, including the sofa bed which was easy to put up and down.

We bought some items from the shop, which as with all family holiday parks, was a little bit pricier than the supermarket but was well stocked, and we used the communal child's play area which was nice too.

Getting in and out of the town was easy from here, the bus stops inside the park and takes 15 mins for around £3/£4.50rtn and stops by the train station at the top of the hill. We got taxis in and out and for an 8 seater from ACE Taxis it was £8.50 (even late at night). On the last day we used the park & ride which is a 1mile drive but not easily walkable, £2.50 for 24hrs parking and £8 for 4 adults (kids under 5 are free) for unlimited travel on the train, this only takes 9 mins too.

The reviews on here are very misleading, I have stayed here twice and had outstanding accommodation each time. Maybe ring ahead to check exactly what you are getting for your money? and just a word of warning some people hadn't paid for their entertainment passes and didn't realise this includes entry to the pool - this is not the park's fault, the Sun don't make this clear on their booking form!!

When we stay here again, I will be asking for this accommodation specifically.

Hello Jucylucy

As you say, the park does not deserve poor reviews and thankfully they are few and far between. We simply do not understand why some people choose to post them, when all the staff work really hard to make everyone feel welcome, as you experienced. However, we are all individuals and we can all have vastly different opinions on the same subject.

Grimsby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

After 7 hour car journey we arrived at a stunning woodland site, spotting some of the black shed like chalets I was a little worried as to what to expect after seeing some bad reviews on here. After checking in we was just a short distance away from the main building, nicely tucked away in the trees. Have to admit had to use our own bedding thats just coz am a fuddy duddy when it comes to beds. Is little dated but really its not really a big deal for us, it was perfectly clean and functional for us. We had to move chalets in the week due to a tree incident and that chalet was just as clean and tidy as the first. Moving onto the entertainment and the stripeys......put it this way my two kids ave been crying since we left coz the miss them so much and my daughter has told me to put an hello to the stripeys from jessica and dylan coz she knows they will see it :-) fab little hard working group they have there. We will defo be coming bk next year. Overall I'd say if you want a posh 5* dont go but if you are after a lovely little break away with nature and beautiful sites all around you its perfect. Thanks for a fab break away just what I needed xx

Hello Zobo

Thank you for taking the time to leave your fantastic feedback; it’s always a pleasure receiving such positive comments.

We do take great pride in cleaning all grades of accommodation to a very high standard and it’s brilliant that this isn’t going unnoticed. All comments will be passed on to our Housekeeper and the cleaning team.

Once again our entertainments team have been singled out for extra praise and there is no doubt that they deserve it. They are all doing a brilliant job this year and work extremely hard to ensure everyone has a great holiday.

Let me thank you again for taking the time to leave this lovely review and we look forward to welcoming you back to our park very soon.

Leicester, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

My partner and I are getting married next year so we decided to do something different and cheaper, as we always go abroad we decided on a different kind of get away. We saved the sun holiday vouchers and sent off, not expecting to go one. Luckily we heard St Ives was beautiful and we were chuffed that we got this. Although it's NOT £9.50!!!!! My best friend and her parnter came too! We never stopped laughing allllllllll week! We had a fab time! The entertainment was half decent and all the staff make an effort keep you smiling and laughing, the games they play are good too. Didn't think much to the kids entertainment but then again I haven't got kids. The shalet though is another storey.... First we walked in and it's STINKS of damp, although it was spotlessly clean, the smell was horrific. The bedrooms are basic and comfy but they smell too. Even the linen we paid for smelt. One night I put my shoes on and they were wet with damp! We had to buy scented candles to light all over the shalet. The oven door handle was hanging off and couldn't open the oven, I burnt my hand repeatedly. The toilet door had NO handle just a screw hanging out which was also quite awkward at times! We cleaned the hob after using it and a dead snail was in there. Opened the cutlery drawer and 2 wood louses in there having a party.. We had to buy towels to use as we though £11 linen would supply at least a basic hand towel for the week or a tea towel.? The bathroom floor is constantly soaking as they'res no mat to soak up any water.? Only one heater worked in the shalet which was a nightmare at 1st, but luckily the weather warmed up after 2 days and was a lil like summer! On a brighter note the beach is AMAZING! we had 2 brill days on the beach and you could have bin anywhere in the world. I would recommend this place but in the heart of the summer when it's all dry and no rain to warm the damp up!! X

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Hello Harriet

Thank you for taking the time to leave your fantastic comments - they reads more like a 5 star review than the 3 you have given us . It is satisfying to hear that you had a great time on our park.

I have passed on your feedback on to the department managers so they can share this success with their teams.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Guest Relations Manager

Been to St. Ives Holiday Village? Share your experiences!