“To Hell and back at great expense” 1 of 5 stars
Review of St. Ives Holiday Village

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in St Ives
St. Ives Holiday Village
You added St. Ives Holiday Village to your Saves list
Lelant, St Ives TR26 3HX, England   |
Ranked #21 of 25 Hotels in St Ives
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“To Hell and back at great expense”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

What a terrible place. A blessing would be to burn the rotting Chalets and start again.
We arrived on site to be told our accommodation was not yet ready and to return later - we returned 3 hours later in the pouring rain to be told it was still not available as it was being checked. 25 minutes later we were given the keys to chalet 167 so thoroughly soaked to the skin and very cold we landed in hell.
The chalet smelt very damp, there was mildew and mould evident everywhere, the beds were so damp they were not fit for use, there were dead flies and wasps on the window sills, the carpets were so dirty we stuck to them, I am not sure what it was growing on the floor by the fridge and was not going to investigate further for fear of catching something awful, the kitchen roller blind was so dirty we did not like to touch it, when the chalet door was closed there was a large enough gap at the side to let in a howling gale and on unfolding the bed settee - well words cannot describe our horror - it looked like it had never been cleaned and we suspected that the last inhabitants had probably been a family of mice.
I returned to the reception to complain and was given the keys of chalet 165 - it was just as bad except on this one the door did not close unless you gave it a good bang and the one bed still had sheets on that had obviously been used.
I returned to reception again - I was told they could send housekeeping down to give it a wipe over to which I was horrified as I thought the condition was well past a wipe over as the chalets are rotten and falling apart.
At no stage was I offered an apology. To the credit of one lady she did phone around 2 other sites to try and find alternative accommodation but with no luck.
The manager was uninterested and unapologetic and when I said we were soaking wet and freezing cold he did not offer anywhere to have a shower and get changed into dry clothing. He did not seem at all surprised with our comments and offered that it was a woodland setting and the weather had been atrocious - this after the best summer we have had in many years and only 2 hours of rain at this point!!!! My daughter was asked to leave the bar area as she was carrying our small dog. We were told that dogs were not allowed in due to Health standards - what a joke - the bar area was so dirty I would not have let the dog walk on the floor and then get back into my car and it smelt so bad in there it made you want to gasp for fresh air - do they know the meaning of Health standards??
We were left with no alternative but to find B&B accommodation at extra cost, cut short our holiday and return home - a journey of 6 hours each way - what a waste of time, money and effort!
I would advise anyone thinking of visiting this holiday venue to think seriously about buying a tent - it would not be the health hazard that we were faced with.

Room Tip: Don't go there
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
When I first read this very poor review, I immediately tried to contact the writer through the Tripadvisor Messaging service to investigate the issues and to check its validity. Sadly, with all Tripadvisor reviews being anonymous, it is impossible to make direct contact.

To date I have not received a reply to two such messages and I am disappointed that I have not been given the opportunity to put things right.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
herts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

have stayed at this site a few times before,this time we booked one of the new royal gold lodges,which we were really pleased with,it has 3 double bedrooms,2 bathrooms,large open plan kitchen/lounge,leading onto a large decked veranda.it was in a lovely location and very close to the clubhouse just as we requested.very clean also and lovely and fresh smelling as we walked in.our check in at reception on 7th sept was very good we were even given the keys 2 hrs earlier than the stated time,but didn't mind either way as we enjoyed a few drinks in the bar and enjoyed meeting the park manager and the bar staff,who were very friendly and professional.The park is in the process of having more new lodges ,like the one we were in ,put on,also some other luxury caravans.one caravan already in place looked very nice.the park was very quiet and relaxing,with the lovely woodland.We didn't use the pool,as we were out and about during the day.We were in the clubhouse every evening.That is the reason we go there,its an ideal base to go out during the day and return for evening drinks.we would certainly go again in a royal gold lodge or one of the new vans,thankyou to the manager and staff for a great time and a few laughs.We really enjoyed Aarans singing,as did the other guests.we enjoyed everything we done there ,we met a few really nice guests as well and they were also enjoying it there.Once again full praise to the manager and bar staff {and the check in lady Christine}

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review. We are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and how helpful and friendly the staff were.

We pride ourselves on our family feel at John Fowler Holidays, and are delighted to have such loyal customers as yourselves.

We look forward to welcoming you again very soon.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

October this year will be our 6th visit to the park and we have absolutely no complaints about the site or the staff!!! we have made so many friends, staff and guests who we still talk too We at first had the budget chalets which to be honest aren't for royalty but its somewhere to lay your head. We have been in April and October times and love the Halloween week!!
I was poorly one year so I could not go in the pool the life guard Amy helped my autistic son up the slide lots of times, not once have I ever seen any member of staff in the years ive been going on there phones while there on duty. Every stripey we have ever met have always been kind to us and our child and never once ignored us.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your five stars. We are delighted to hear that this is the best holiday park you have experienced - a very much appreciated compliment!

We are happy that you thought all the staff were helpful and will pass your comments on to them.

We will look forward to seeing you again in October.
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We were a bit apprehensive,having read reviews but we had alovely time there from start to finish.We feel that you must judge a place against the price and this was a cheap deal in a "woodland budget chalet due for refurbishment". All the clues are there! Yes ,it is in mature woodlands, which are lovely, but do keep the chalets shady. Yes, it was budget but it was bigger than we expected and everything worked including an excellent shower. Yes it needed some refurbishment but we go on holiday to enjoy ourselves ,not do a surveyor,s report on the accommodation! The staff were really friendly and helpful and appeared very conscientious.The pool area was beautifully kept and Amy ,the pool manager was great. The entertainments team appeared very hard working and,although a bit loud for me the acts I saw were very good. The woodland trail we did twice a day with our 2 year old grandson and 2 dogs. He loved the new picture information boards and the woods are as well managed as any site that I have seen. If you like simple straightforward accommodation in a rustic setting (we usually camp) these budget chalets are fine but that is what they are! Because they are under trees they do draw the damp but the heaters will cook you if desired! The paths are lit but care would be needed in places. Some chalets looked more ready for refurb than others. TIPS The duvets were definitely for summer but blankets etc can be requested.You could keep bedroom heaters on but then too hot probably! If you come here with the right ideas it is fine. We 2 enjoyed it, our 2 daughters enjoyed it , our 2 year old grandson loved it and our 2 dogs were very settled. Thanks to the staff. We will be back and trying other John Fowler parks.

Room Tip: It would be much noisier near the entertainment centre. School holidays are probably much noisier to...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a sensible and realistic review. It is satisfying to hear that you had a great time on our park.

I have passed on your feedback on to the department managers so they can share this success with their teams.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We drove over two days to get here. On driving in to the "resort" our hearts sank. It was dark and very wooded. The chalets that we could see look run down and shabby. We parked up, took ages to find a parking spot and made our way to the reception. Things didn't get any better when we walked in here. They were so busy that we were asked to return later to check in. The function room and bar don't look they have been decorated since the 70's and they were very dark. Very disheartened we decided to drive to St Ives (15 minutes drive from the St Ives Holiday village at least). Thank god we did go in to St Ives as this truly lifted our spirits its absolutely beautiful!
On returning about an hour and a half later we still had to wait in a long queue. Eventually we were given our keys. We made our way to the chalet and outside the chalet is over grown and untidy and dark with a table that looks damp, The day we arrived it was roasting and beautiful sunshine but you would not know. The outside of the bungalow (Oakliegh) was covered in cobwebs and just looked run down. Inside really wasn't any better it was damp and musty and smelled damp too. It was cold we needed the heaters on even though the temperature outside was lovely. The carpets were dirty. I did have to spot clean these and didn't look like they had been hoovered! There were dead insects on the window sills and behind the sink in the bathroom I could see a bit of foliage peeping out! The bedroom we were in was cold and damp and above the beds the cupboards were filthy. Inside the left hand cupboard was also damp. My advise to anyone thinking about going to Cornwall is avoid this park at all costs. After seeing the state of the accommodation we avoided the pool for fear of cleanliness. If you can afford to wait to the week after we were there go into the centre of St Ives where for the same money or thereabouts you can get a small cottage on the harbor side. We had no choice but to stay as it would have been too pricey to have gone and paid somewhere else. Having read the reviews from other travelers when we were there we decided to try to just grin and bear it. We didn't think that there was any point in bringing up our concerns at the time. But to the gentleman who reads these reviews don't just palm us off with didn't you bring it up at the time. I think from all the bad reviews you have more than enough evidence sitting in front of you that should ring the alarm bells. One positive is that the staff seemed pleasant enough although when we left a day early nobody questioned this. I know that this was a budget option but we expect a lot better

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I've been meaning to write a review since we returned from our stay at the St Ives Holiday Village in June.
Like many of the other reviewers, we left after just one night.
The accommodation was very damp and dirty. We asked to move chalets on arrival, and were given a larger one, which was also dirty but we just cleaned it ourselves, we were determined to make the best of our holiday.
However, on the first morning in the chalet, the electric shower unit caught fire while I was in it. I was luckily unharmed, but very shaken. We left immediately. (Despite being offered a panicked upgrade.)
It took me nearly a month to recoup the cost of our booking from John Fowler Holidays. The matter was not taken seriously or dealt with in a proper manner, either on resort or afterwards.
Their reluctance to reimburse us, led me to register a complaint with Trading Standards and the Citizens Advice Bureau consumer helpline.
I asked John Fowler Holidays to investigate safety at this site and to show me proof of P.A.T testing for our chalet, I've never heard from them again.
Don't risk your safety by staying here.

• Stayed June 2013
While we are very sorry that a fault in the shower unit of your chalet caused a fire and that you found the experience frightening - this is understandable.

I have investigated thoroughly and have found that the matter was dealt within our 28 day complaints procedure guidelines. 60% of the monies paid were refunded on the day you left and the balance exactly 16 days later.

With regard to the P.A.T. testing you mention, as you are aware P.A.T. refers to Portable Appliance Testing and not to fixed items such as a shower. However, all our safety checks are up to date and the records are always open for inspection by anyone at anytime.

We are sorry this unfortunate occurrence happened but as you can see, it was all dealt with by all our personel in an efficient and professional manner
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

We have just got back from our weekend stay here, before we left we had read these reviews & were very worried about staying and we were ready for the worst. My husband picked the chalet keys up and was greeted by a lovely lady so already we were happy as by reading some of these reviews people are saying the staff are rude. When we got in the chalet it smelt clean, every room was spotless we were very happy. The swimming pool was lovely and clean and we took our baby swimming for the first time, the lady lifeguard was lovely and so welcoming. The staff were lovely behind the bar but unfortunately because it was so loud in the clubhouse we didnt spend much time there because of our baby. We stayed in woodland bronze and overall we were very impressed with everything so if you read these reviews before your holiday you dont need to worry yourselves silly like we did!

• Stayed September 2013
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thank you very much for leaving us such a fantastic review, we really appreciate it. Your comments have been passed to all departments.

I sometimes wonder who writes the poor reviews about such a lovely park but perhaps, more importantly, why. When we try to contact the writers of the really bad ones to discover what exactly went wrong with their holiday, you can imagine we get no reply.

I am delighted to hear that you had a great time and we look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

Been to St. Ives Holiday Village? Share your experiences!