What a terrible place. A blessing would be to burn the rotting Chalets and start again.
We arrived on site to be told our accommodation was not yet ready and to return later - we returned 3 hours later in the pouring rain to be told it was still not available as it was being checked. 25 minutes later we were given the keys to chalet 167 so thoroughly soaked to the skin and very cold we landed in hell.
The chalet smelt very damp, there was mildew and mould evident everywhere, the beds were so damp they were not fit for use, there were dead flies and wasps on the window sills, the carpets were so dirty we stuck to them, I am not sure what it was growing on the floor by the fridge and was not going to investigate further for fear of catching something awful, the kitchen roller blind was so dirty we did not like to touch it, when the chalet door was closed there was a large enough gap at the side to let in a howling gale and on unfolding the bed settee - well words cannot describe our horror - it looked like it had never been cleaned and we suspected that the last inhabitants had probably been a family of mice.
I returned to the reception to complain and was given the keys of chalet 165 - it was just as bad except on this one the door did not close unless you gave it a good bang and the one bed still had sheets on that had obviously been used.
I returned to reception again - I was told they could send housekeeping down to give it a wipe over to which I was horrified as I thought the condition was well past a wipe over as the chalets are rotten and falling apart.
At no stage was I offered an apology. To the credit of one lady she did phone around 2 other sites to try and find alternative accommodation but with no luck.
The manager was uninterested and unapologetic and when I said we were soaking wet and freezing cold he did not offer anywhere to have a shower and get changed into dry clothing. He did not seem at all surprised with our comments and offered that it was a woodland setting and the weather had been atrocious - this after the best summer we have had in many years and only 2 hours of rain at this point!!!! My daughter was asked to leave the bar area as she was carrying our small dog. We were told that dogs were not allowed in due to Health standards - what a joke - the bar area was so dirty I would not have let the dog walk on the floor and then get back into my car and it smelt so bad in there it made you want to gasp for fresh air - do they know the meaning of Health standards??
We were left with no alternative but to find B&B accommodation at extra cost, cut short our holiday and return home - a journey of 6 hours each way - what a waste of time, money and effort!
I would advise anyone thinking of visiting this holiday venue to think seriously about buying a tent - it would not be the health hazard that we were faced with.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our St Ives Holiday Village is set in over a hundred acres of woodland, making the whole park a gorgeous, relaxing place. As for facilities, St Ives Holiday Village has everything you could want during a Cornwall holiday. You won’t have to worry about the kids getting bored with our games room, featuring a pool table and all the latest video games. We also have a children’s play area just for kids, and you can let them swim in our large indoor heated pool without worry as we always have life guards on duty.In the evenings, you’re welcome to enjoy the nightly entertainment we offer at The Rafters Club, our very own club where we put on dancing, discos, competitions and more! You can also order you and your family some pub grub or get a takeaway. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- St. Ives Holiday Village Hotel St Ives
- St. Ives Holiday Village St Ives, Cornwall