“Worst place we have ever and likely to have stayed” 1 of 5 stars
Review of St. Ives Holiday Village

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in St Ives
St. Ives Holiday Village
Lelant, St Ives TR26 3HX, England   |
Ranked #21 of 25 hotels in St Ives
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Worst place we have ever and likely to have stayed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

This place is so dirty, unplesent and unhabbitable. I would not allow my child to walk around the "chalet" without shows as carpet so disgusting. Mould was all over walls and ceilings. The walls in the kitchen were actually peeling revealing the wood underneath. The linen which u pay extra for was stained and had several holes in it. My mother in law forgot towels so rented some at the cost f £20 and I would not have used on my dog. Stayed for the arrival night and consecutive night (too late to find somewhere else) and could not take it any longer so left and all booked into a hotel. When we went to hand keys back we told the we were leaving a day early to be to,d "I will
Pass that on". We will be sure to write to the holiday village manager. Absolutely disgusting do not stay.

Room Tip: Do not go there
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
It was such a shame to read your remarks regarding your stay at our holiday park.

However we do not ignore negative reviews and I will be contacting you to discover precisely where you where staying in order to carry out a full investigation.

571 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Bridgend, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

We're just on our way home from a busy week in St Ives. The staff at the holiday village were excellent from start to finish! I dare say we'll be singing along to our 'We Love Freddy' CD for some time! Stripey Jess/Frankie and Liam in particular and also Amy who was always pool side! Mother Nature dealt us a mixed hand with fabulous weather (bar one rainy day) but the wasps were awful! Our only grumble about the chalet was the size of the door way to the bathroom along with awkward placement of the lock made for some nasty scrapes! The bus service (nothing to do with John Fowler) was pretty poor - lots of buses to take you away but not very many to bring you back!!

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review. We are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and how helpful and friendly the staff were.

Once again our entertainments team have been singled out for extra praise and there is no doubt that they deserve it. They are all doing a brilliant job this year and work extremely hard to ensure everyone has a great holiday.

We pride ourselves on our family feel at John Fowler Holidays, and are delighted to have such loyal customers as yourselves.

We look forward to welcoming you again very soon.
Broxbourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Well I don't know if I stayed at the same place. We really enjoyed our stay. The swimming pool was lovely and our grandchildren really liked going there. The staff were helpful and friendly. I agree that the site could do with updating, especially the pathways which could be dangerous. There was nothing whatsoever wrong with our chalet, it was clean and tidy on arrival and we found nothing to complain about. We really liked the setting in the woodlands and the trees gave us some privacy. We didn't like the fact that the cabaret started at 10.00 am, surely 9.00 am would be a better time. After a day out we really didn't want to stay up past 10 o'clock. Apart from that we found little wrong and would return to this site, unlike some others we have stayed at.

Room Tip: Choose a silver chalet and not the bronze.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us such a lovely review.

Your comments have been passed to all departments, especially the housekeeping team, who will be delighted to hear your thoughts on the cleanliness of the chalet.

We are at a loss to understand why some people post such poor reviews for all to see. This is something that is general throughout the industry - we are not the only victims. Sadly, review sites are anonymous and it can prove to be very difficult to trace the reviewer and investigate their comments. However, on the rare occasions when we are able to contact the reviewer and discuss the problems, the matter is always settled to everyone’s satisfaction.

We really hope to see you again in the near future.
Exeter, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Obviously - we had read the horror stories on here before our trip - and on inital first entrance to our silver chalet - i was pleasantly surpristed that it was habitable....

We took all our own bedding and extras to cover the matresses (well worth it) we only used the cupboards to put thier provided bedding in - i would most definately not have hang my families clothes in the wardrobes - as it became apparent quite quickly how damp the chalet was - the musty smell was not going anywhere - we lived out of our suitcases and wore shoes at all times!

This set of chalets are all set in under the trees - so not alot of full on sunlight to help with any drying out - we were really lucky with the weather - with full sunshine most days - if it had been a wet week - i cant imagine we would have stayed.

In our particular chalet we had a small plant growing out of the wall by the fridge and where the fridge was - the lino was all ripped at its feet - not very pleasant - the cooker and oven were clean though, so its not all bad :)

For what we paid we cant complain - and the kids very much enjoyed the foxy club entertainment. I wouldnt say we wouldnt go bak - but would definately opt for a higher rated accommodation - we had upgraded from the bronze to the silver shortly after booking - glad we did :)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us such a fair review. Your comments have been passed to all departments. .

Many of the older chalets are being demolished and replaced with fantastic new lodges. 5 have appeared in the past couple of months and we have just obtained planning permission for a further 36. As you will appreciate, such a massive investment does not happen overnight.

We really hope to see you again in the near future.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

Terrible chalet, felt like i was back in the 80's and it had not been used since then either!!
Full of damp, cobwebs, spiders, wasps!!!!
The beds felt like the mattresses where made of bricks. We had to sleep on the tiny pull out sofa in the lounge. That was damp and had a real fusty smell. The bathroom had a inch thick layer of dust on every surface, joined by the odd pubic hair. Inside the kitchen cupboards and draws where spider droppings. We could not wait to leave as we felt dirty all the time and basically had to clean the whole place to make it habitual.
It was nasty. After a 10 hour car journey we couldn't check in till 4pm which is really poor. Lost a day already.
We have 3 children, one who is 7 weeks old. And next year we would rather stay in a tent on a different site.
The site is like a over grown jungle and could do with tidying up. The roads around are full of large pot holes so not very good for the car suspension either.
So thats my review, which i also told the site in the john fowler survey. Which i have had no reply, feedback or acknowledgement !!

• Stayed August 2013

I wonder if you told the park manager of your displeasure, it is always so difficult to deal with the issues after you have returned home. There are a number of serious items in your review that need to be investigated and I will be contacting both you and the park to look into the matter.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

On arriving at st ives holiday village it looked very nice, we had to wait 45 mins for our keys to our chalet, as it was still being cleaned, after 4pm, when we got to our chalet no 79, inside it was dull, damp and dismal, stunk of damp! Wasps were a huge problem, internal fittings were not very good, this was a bronze chalet! They all need knocking down. Which we know is going to happen in the future, this site is in a nice position, and bus service to st ives was brill, swimming pool was cold and small, club house dark and dated, we wouldn't recommend you to this site until its accommodation is updated! Wasn't worth the money we paid for a weekend break!!

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at our holiday park.

With regard to the accommodation, no doubt you noticed that the park is in the midst of a complete rebuild. Many of the older chalets are being demolished and replaced with fantastic new lodges. As you will appreciate, such a massive investment does not happen overnight.

We really hope to see you again in the near future when the work is complete.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

Have just returned two nights early from our stay at this holiday village - we couldn't bear to stay here any longer.

We arrived to check in at 4.10 (stated check in time was 4) and were met with an absolutely huge queue. I would so expect some queuing but not 45 minutes after an already late check in time. We finally got the keys and made our way to our bronze chalet, eager to start cooking some dinner for our 3 year old son. When we walked in we were greeted with an awful stench of damp, despite ALL of the windows being open. We progressed further into the living area only then be met with a putrid smell of urine. On this I then scooped up my son as I couldn't bear him touching the floor (he had already taken off his shoes)! We then went into the main bedroom to put bags down and the stink of stale cigarettes was unbearable.

Now, I know that this is budget accommodation but if social services saw children living in these conditions at home they would be taken into care!!

There was broken glass and old bits of food on the floor in the corner of the kitchen, the oven smoked, even before any food was in it, the smoke alarm was not working, the window would not close properly and was therefore not secure, the carpet was damp and sticky and to top it off, the boiler was in an unsecured cupboard, with no insulation (ie. just bare HOT metal exposed) in the children's bedroom!! How this meets health and safety regulations is beyond me. Such was the slack standard of cleaning in this place that there was offensive language written in the grime on the windows which we could all see quite clearly as we entered the chalet. Luckily, my son is too young to read those words...

We barely slept a wink in this place what with the overwhelming smell of cigarettes, dampness (we all developed coughs and sore throats) and the sweaty, plastic mattresses keeping us awake. If I'd had a sleeping bag I would have slept in the car. There were no other chalets available so we decided to leave early as we couldn't bear it any longer.

As for the replies to the other reviews from the customer relations manager - ridiculous! Do you really think people would bother to post experiences that were untrue?? I can confirm that my experience outlined above is completely true (believe me, I wish it wasn't!) and these chalets (maybe other positive reviewers stayed in more modern accommodation?) are not fit to stay in. It's nothing to do with 'taste', these chalets cannot possibly be legal, let alone charge people to stay in them! I would like to see you stay in one of them overnight (preferably no. 80!) and hear of your experiences. My guess is that you would not be able to stay there either.

Your loyal customer base who return year after year that you keep referring to must only be guests at your other parks because after my experience I would not return if you paid me. Quoting this after each review only makes you look incompetent as a manager and the reviewer feel like their experiences are not believed. This situation needs to be addressed and your shouldn't be allowing people to stay in these chalets, refurbishments pending or not.

I will be contacting head office.

• Stayed September 2013
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
When I first read this very poor review, I immediately tried to contact the writer through the Tripadvisor Messaging service to investigate the issues, to discover why they had had such a poor holiday. Sadly, with all Tripadvisor reviews being anonymous it is impossible to make direct contact.

To date I have not received a reply to two such messages and I am disappointed that I have not been given the opportunity to put things right.

Been to St. Ives Holiday Village? Share your experiences!