“THE Best Scones in Cornwall” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Café
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Postcode TR26 1NX
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“THE Best Scones in Cornwall”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

After stumbling across this tiny café, I can honestly say this is THE best cream tea we have ever had. The scones are 'rustic', extremely large and are freshly made each morning by Theresa. Its only a tiny café with 20 covers inside, its clean, tidy and the staff are more than welcoming and friendly. It was just a shame we only discovered it on our last day, we will certainly be back on our next visit to St Ives. Well done.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Quality and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

My wife and I stumbled accross Olives Cafe - what a great find. We shared a crab sandwich - the waitress helpfully suggested that she would give us two plates and two sets off cutlery. We also had the cream tea - beautiful home baking - a very large and tasty scone with lovely whipped fresh cream and jam - the tea was also excellent. We'd been in Cornwall for a few days and had been holding off having a cream tea until we saw a good one - we didn't want the supermarket scone and UHT cream version.! The two waitresses could not have been friendlier or more helpful. I think the waitresses may also be the bakers and the owners. Olives is a great example of an independent cafe providing excellent service, quality food and value for money. We sat outside.

Visited May 2013
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
“Mmmmm cake”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Having visited olives a few years ago now I was a little nervous about returning just in case it didn't live up to my memory .... I shouldn't have worried!! We sat outside on a lovely sunny day and enjoyed a bowl of soup and a quiche both thoroughly enjoyed both homemade however these were merely a distraction as we had already planned our dessert .... The homemade cake selection was as delicious and tempting as I'd remembered!! The staff are very lovely and attentive and have a lovely way of making you feel really welcome this is one of the things which we remembered from our previous visit and I'm pretty certain this won't be our last! It's a little of the beaten track but definitely worth seeking out.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Out of this world!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Despite what the last review said, my husband, myself and children also visited "Olives" on the Easter break and had a totally fab experience I ordered a ploughmans and couldn't believe the variety on my plate such a large portion and looked fantastic, the cakes were out this world and children loved the yummy chocolate brownies!!!
Well worth a visit quaint cafe and friendly warm welcome!!!!

Visited March 2013
London
“Terrible service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We visited here whilst in St Ives on holiday for Easter. Really good first impressions, as cafe very cute inside and nice and cosy (very small so not many tables available).
We ordered cream tea and also a sandwich to share. We were quite suprised when they bought out the cream tea first, as normally I would consider that dessert and eat that second. When we enquired they said they would bring out the sandwich soon. We ended up waiting for about 30 minutes and then reminding them again, at which point we could see that it was sitting on the bench in the kitchen ready to go. It took another 10 minutes to actually get this served to us, and no apologies were made for taking so long. We were actually gobsmacked at how something so simple seemed to be such a big problem and this considerably ruined our experience.
The food was ok, but nothing extra special and I feel that the bad service probably impacted this somewhat - unfortunate. It was also quite pricey for what it was.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
coasthouse, Owner at Olives, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Hello, thank you for your feedback, of course we were very sorry to read your review, as we try so hard to get everything right.
I have investigated the issues you raised. It was our first week of a new season and we have new waiting staff.
It would appear that the waitress took your order and got it out of sequence,this then resulted in your wait for food. We should have apologised at the time.
We have addressed this issue and hope your next visit to Olives will be a memorable and enjoyable one.
Adrian, Jane and Teresa.(owners of Olives)