“Spa visit” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in St Ives
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Spa visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Had a spa day and it was brill, staff attentive, treatments good and afternoon tea AWESOME. One tiny moan, there were not enough loungers and people left their towels on them, but apart fm that EXCELLENT!!!

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
jasonparry55, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review here, the feedback is always very much welcomed. As much as we attempt to manage the use of the loungers in the Spa area, during peak times there is a great demand for the use of the loungers and I apologise that you were not able to relax as you would have hoped. I do hope that you will visit us again in the not too distant future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
Wrexham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We travelled to St Ives for our honeymoon and stayed in this hotel.
It was just outstanding the staff were friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble.
We stayed in the superior suite overlooking the beach, just awesome.
We had a seating area, dining table, the biggest bedroom I have ever seen and a wonderful bubbly spa bath.
We booked treatments in the spa prior to arrival but were informed of special offers they had so our treatments were included in the special offer so worked out very reasonable.
Would 100% recommend this hotel. Just stunning!

Room Tip: Book a suite they are worth it!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for chosing the St. Ives Harbour Hotel for your Honeymoon. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and we very much hope to be able to welcome you back again in the not too distant future.
Torquay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We have just got home after a lovely 5 day stay at the St Ives Harbour hotel. Our room was great, overlooking the sea, seemed clean with a lovely queensize bed...very comfortable! Tea and coffee facilities were good. Breakfast was excellent, a great choice of fruit,yogurt,cereal,toast,pastries, and then a cooked breakfast too, whilst sat overlooking the sea! The spa was lovely, very clean and great facilities...would highly recommend! I had a back,neck and shoulder massage during our stay too....very very good! The hotel is situated within a short walking distance of the centre of St Ives, as well as a short walk down to porthminster beach!
The only negative comment about our stay was the water pressure of our shower wasn't great...but otherwise everything else was very good!
All the staff were very friendly and helpful, especially the porters...who helped carry all my luggage and helped us sort out car parking!
We had a lovely stay and would definitely like to stay here again and will recommend this hotel to friends and family!!
Thank you for such a lovely week, a much needed break and such great service!!

Room Tip: Make sure you specify for a queen size bed....well worth it....with very comfortable bedding!! And a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
jasonparry55, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words, I know the team will be motivated by your praise indeed. It is lovely to hear that everyone was really helpful and friendly, something that we pride ourselves on. I am so glad you enjoyed the Spa; it really is a fantastic facility to have. I am so sorry that there were difficulties with the water pressure during your visit, if you could contact me directly and let me know your room number I will be able to investigate further, jason.parry@harbourhotels.co.uk. Finally we look forward to welcoming you back again in the not too distant future.
Coventry, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Just got back from a 2 night stay at the St Ives Harbour hotel. We were met by reception and were given a classic double room as per booking with a Queen bed as a request via email.The dissapointment was immediate one we entered the room. The set up of 2 single beds were the least of our worries. The room reminded me of something out of a fawlty towers set, which under normal circumstances would have been bareable but the stain on the wallpaper under the window and the filthy state of the carpet gave it a feel of wipe your feet on the way out. The manager changed the 2 singles into a double bed while we waited in reception. On returning to the room i noticed what i thought was a large leaf by the bedside. On closer inspection it turned out to be crisp covered in black hairs obviously left by a previous guest. I saw the manager and explained the situation and gave him the offending artical. He then moved us to a re-furbished room on a lower floor. This was a marked improvement on the previous un-refurbished room but could have still done with the vacuum going over the area. The bathroom was clean although the newish tap to the basin leaked. The curtainl had come off at one end and the cobwebs in each corner gave the room a gothic feel. The sea view was excellent. Breakfast was hot on the first morning but tepid on the second although the seating area was clean. The staff were very pleasant throughout. We did not use the bar or resturant facilities so cannot comment on those. Waking through the corridors to get to our room the hotel felt like it could do with a good clean. In defence the were numerous builders constantly in and around the hotel carrying out futher re-furbishments. Overall in its present state If you intend to book this hotel ensure you have secured a re-furbished room before travelling. I for one will not be returning.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
jasonparry55, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on this site, we appreciate all feedback. I am sorry for the poor standard of housekeeping you encountered on your visit to the hotel. I will personally monitoring this over the coming weeks and I can assure you that this is not our usual standard by any means. If you would like to discuss the matter further then please do contact me directly on jason.parry@harbourhotels.co.uk. I do hope that you will reconsider your decision and visit the hotel again in the future.
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I should have written a review after our first visit to the hotel last year, we had a most enjoyable visit in November 2011, and our stay this year this weekend was even better. This is a hotel where you will be greeted by real people who do seem to want you to have a pleasant stay! For guests who want the corporate "have a nice day" this is not the hotel for you. A lot of the hotel refurbishment now appears to have been completed, the downside of this is that the main kitchen was being upgraded during our visit which meant that all our food was prepared in the second kitchen, whilst the restricted dinner menu was of good quality, the breakfast was poor,the food was luke warm and very pale in appearance, however you could not fault the efforts of the waiting staff to make the most of a bad job. The upgraded reception, the ease of parking and the new paths surrounding the hotel are a great improvement, the quality spa and the outstanding views are all major plus points.There are good offers to be had but in line with the hotels policy of looking after their regular guests perhaps the most attractive offers are available to the more regular visitor

Room Tip: Make sure you book a refurbished room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
jasonparry55, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write this review, we really appreicate the feedback. I am so sorry that the breakfast standard was not as good as it has been in the past, this will be rectified once we go back into the main kitchen very soon. Thank you also for your understanding with regards to the works taking place in the main kitchen, there is indeed never a good time to do this, but your understanding is appreciated. I am really pleased that the team here did all they could to make your stay enjoyable and we very much look forward to welcoming you back again in the not too distant future.
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

After reading the reviews for this hotel on Trip Advisor and viewing the images online of the refurbished rooms, communal areas, and spa, I decided to book a 3 night break away at St. Ives Harbour Hotel.

I agree with a previous reviewer that the car park could be better sign posted. However, there was a 10 minute waiting bay and when my partner went to speak to reception he had a warm welcome and was offered valet parking. We declined, but noticed that a number of guests used this service throughout our stay. The reception area was refurbished to a very high standard and staff gave us a warm welcome and gave us a demonstration of where to find everything.

We were in a road-facing, refurbished room and the decor was satisfactory for a 3* hotel. However, it was cold due to the single glazed window and we weren’t provided with a bed throw for extra warmth. The bedroom’s electric heater worked well after about 15 minutes. The single-glazed windows also meant that the room was very noisy (we expected some road noise, but not to the extent that it sounded like the window was open); my partner found it difficult to sleep. The duvet cover was much too big for the duvet, so was not comfortable to sleep in. However, when we asked for non-feather pillows these were provided to use with no issues and very quickly. The single bottle of water that we were provided with on arrival was not replenished throughout our stay. I would also recommend that the Hotel upgrades the heated towel rails as it took a whole day to dry just one towel from the morning shower. This doesn't help guests to adhere to the Hotel's environmentally friendly policy of reusing towels where possible.

The biggest disappointment of our stay at the St Ives Harbour Hotel was the food. I am surprised that people rated it so highly. The quality of the fish was excellent, but it was often ruined by the accompanying dish. The “wild mushroom risotto” was mostly full of button mushrooms and was packed with either butter or cream, making for a solid texture. Similarly, the chips served with the fish and chips appeared to be frozen-style French fries. I would have expected hand-cut chips, given that it was such a simple meal. The desserts were also inadequate, with many of the 4 options being variations of each other! The cooked breakfasts looked anaemic, as although the food was cooked, the sausages were pale and the bacon was very fatty; not very aesthetically pleasing. Service was inconsistent; mostly slow, with basic errors made such as not checking whether we wanted more drinks throughout the meal or whether we wanted an additional bread roll with our soup starter.

The main kitchen was closed for refurbishment and, as such, the dining room was moved down to the function suite, which still had wonderful views over the beach. We were only informed of the kitchen closure a few days before our arrival; not at the time of booking online. Unfortunately, we were not informed that the main bar and lounge were also out of use during our stay. This left the very bright, non-atmospheric function-suite bar. My partner asked if he could see a cocktail menu and the barmaid looked at him as though he was stupid and said that cocktails weren’t available! This is despite the elaborate advertisements on the hotel’s website for cocktails served in the main bar.

The only highlight of our stay was the spa. It really is as good as it looks on the website and was exceptionally clean. This appears to be the one place in the hotel where they have got the decor, lighting and general ambience spot-on. I had the ESPA holistic back, face and scalp massage (90 minutes); it was truly relaxing and the therapist was obviously well-trained.
Overall, the atmosphere that I was expecting from this hotel was lacking, purely due to the kitchen upgrade. I wouldn’t have booked if I’d have realised. Simple updates on the refurbished rooms would make the stay more comfortable. Reconsideration of the menus would go a long way. The spa was brilliant; wouldn’t change a thing.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
jasonparry55, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel here on this site, we really appreciate all feedback and I am so sorry that your experience was not an enjoyable one for you. If you would like to discuss your stay in greater detail then please do contact me personally jason.parry@harbourhotels.co.uk.. The works to the kitchen floor are essential and I apologise that you were not made aware of this when booking your break, with regards to the cocktail menu, this should indeed have been available and this has been addressed with the team here as matter of urgency. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your time in the Spa area and hope that you will visit the hotel again in the future once everything is back to normal.
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

My husband and I came to the hotel for a switch off weekend and it lived up to what we wanted.

We were made to feel welcome on arrival at the hotel and spent most of the weekend in the lovely (and very quiet!) spa. The massages we had were very relaxing and we even managed to potter down the hill into St Ives, a 10 minute walk down the hill if that.

The views were second to none from the sea facing side of the hotel and the staff friendly, polite and attentive.

The decor in the public areas were very good but elements of the bedroom were a bit tired. For some reason our tea and coffee making facilities were in the wardrobe which had no plug near it for the kettle and required a lot of wardrobe door opening and closing. The TV had a odd tilt to it and we had to prop it up on the hotel literature (maybe think about wall mounting?) and the light above the mirror in the bathroom had no shade on it and a crack in the mirror.

The food in the restaurant was really good. We did not go down for dinner until 8.00, not late in our eyes, but half of the fairly limited menu options had run out. In fact for our 2 night stay of the 2 starters and 2 mains that my husband had selected to eat only 1 thing was available. This is my only real grumble that dinners should not be penalized with menu choices because they don't want to eat at 6.30.

Fabulous weekend away though for a really reasonable price and we will most definitely be returning.

Room Tip: Pay the bit extra for a seaview room. The standard rooms are roadside and a little noisy.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
It is lovely to hear that you enjoyed your short break with us, I am so sorry for the issues you encountered in terms of limited availability of menu items, I have discussed this with our Head Chef who has also asked me to pass on his personal apologies. With regards to the bedrooms, these are scheduled to be refurbished over the next few months and we really will have a hotel to be proud of. Many thanks again and I look forward to welcoming you back again in the not too distant future.

Been to St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!