“A stylish hotel offering value” 5 of 5 stars

St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The Terrace, St Ives TR26 2BN, England   |
Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in St Ives
London
“A stylish hotel offering value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

We booked this hotel via Trip Advisor about 30 minutes before we checked in. At the moment there is building going on so if you have booked make sure you call the hotel before you arrive as they will get you to park your car outside and have a valet take your car to the carpark opposite - it's a very quick and efficient service. On arrival we wanted to explore and we fully expected that our room wouldn't be ready at such short notice so we went out and about for a few hours - St Ives is lovely and there is so much to see. When we returned our bags had been taken up, we had a call from the General Manager to see if we wanted anything and the room was lovely with tea/coffee making facilities etc. The room was smallish and very Hotel du Vin, comfortable, great bathroom and exceptionally clean. Breakfast the next morning was lovely but service was slow. However all staff were very professional and are handling a difficult situation as the hotel and adjoining site are under refurbishment and there is a little noise on the road side of the hotel where we were which didn't bother us. If you are bothered by this ask for a seaview side room. A great hotel for the price.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Philip_Cardnell, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 6, 2011
Thank you for your review - we are very grateful for your praise and generous objectivity. See you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011 via mobile

From an admittedly late check-in we were made to feel very welcome with staff going out of their way to offer a full dining experience for us; some lovely fresh and interestingly presented seafood for starter, followed by correctly-cooked 'blue' fillet steaks (can always judge quality of restaurant by it's ability to cook a steak!) and finished with a bountiful cheese board. Restaurant waiter couldn't do enough for us (didn't feel even slightly rushed, despite late dining) and bar tender was very friendly. Lounge with self-playing piano (how bizarre!) was lovely venue for after dinner drink and room was spacious, clean and comfortable. I love these older but immaculately presented hotels; The old fashioned lift with manual doors was a lovely feature! Would make it our base if & when we return to St. Ives and would definately recommend.

• Stayed October 2011
Philip_Cardnell, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 23, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are very grateful for your kind words and I am delighted that we looked after you as you would have expected. I too love that elevator!
See you again soon
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

Though I'm not one for writing reviews ordinarily, I feel obliged to do so after the wonderful all-round experience we had at the St Ives Harbour Hotel in Cornwall. In fact, so wonderful was the experience we never wanted to leave! We chose the Harbour Hotel (Porthminster) for our wedding venue over others in the area for its position overlooking the unspoilt golden sands of the Porthminster Beach and for their capacity-they were willing and able to accommodate 150 guests for a sit down meal. In addition, they also happen to have the most beautiful dining room and guest lounge I've seen in any UK hotel and recently opened a luxurious spa complete with pool, massage rooms, Jacuzzi and lounging area overlooking the beach (it has to be seen).

The hotel had been kind enough to let us store items a few weeks before the wedding and had received our deliveries too. The suite we chose had been fully refurbished and was absolutely breath taking when 'fitted out' for our wedding. Even without table decorations, the room was bright, airy and beautifully decorated and finished. The neutral decor would suit most colour schemes (grey and white worked very well for us). Guests facing the window are faced with a backdrop one would normally associate with a tropical escape calendar! All of the new decoration in the hotel is tasteful but in no way bland, with character and elegant touches which were clearly placed by a designer with an eye for detail. Though I was stubborn to the end choosing to opt for chair covers (150 hand tied by me-groan), the banquet chairs are new enough and elegant enough to suit most 'themes' and would not spoil the room for those not able to budget covers in. See them before deciding to cover them! I intended to decorate the tables myself, but was kindly persuaded to go and relax by Becky and her amazing team. The team actually did more than I could have imagined and didn't even seem to mind when we decided last minute to change our table layout and seating plan! Amazingly we were met with laughter and rolled eyes, which seemed to suggest it might happen a lot! The calmness of the hotel staff and wedding team was greatly assuring and I'm sure my surprisingly chilled mood was down to them.

The spa deserves more than just a mention; it's a thing to behold. If you've visited the Porthminster in the last few years, you'd have seen the outside pool and a strange conservatory containing a small pool surrounded by astro-turf?! Well, not anymore. Now a spiral stair case leads you down into a calm and tranquil haven with a pretty decent sized spa pool, Jacuzzi and ‘rain shower’. There’s also a stunning sun deck overlooking the sea and sand with plenty of comfortable loungers. The place is amazing and a pre wedding 'time out' is a MUST for any bride to be. I took mine on the Friday afternoon whilst numerous family members tried to locate me! I had the most wonderful few hours of 'me time' I think I've ever had-armed with a trashy magazine, I-pod and seriously fluffy robe (how do they make them so fluffy?). I recommend the wonderful full body massage too and loved the fact that I had the place to myself! With all of the stress of planning a wedding and having just done a 6 ish hour drive down to Cornwall - there was nothing better. The use of the spa is also included in your stay, which means you can come and go as you please while the staff make you feel like a VIP!

Though not all bedrooms are to the new 'modern' style, all of the rooms I saw whilst visiting family members were bright, clean and tasteful. The room I chose for the night before my wedding, was a room I will never forget. For good reasons!!! It really was absolutely beautiful, a sea of blue and white wallpaper, sunlight streaming through the windows and a large bathroom big enough for all the bridesmaids make up kits and clobber. A mini balcony allowed a view across the beach and sea and down into the wedding breakfast room below. Nothing was more perfect than waking up on the morning of the wedding as the sun came up and having a quiet moment alone to glance down to the room that would later will be filled with all of our friends and family - I could even see my roses that Becky had placed perfectly on each table. It’s a moment I'll never forget. I was worried about looking tired on the day of the wedding as I struggle to sleep when nervous. However, upon climbing into the HUGE four-poster bed on the eve of the wedding, I had approximately 30 seconds to ponder when I'd fall to sleep before waking up at 6am! I challenge anyone to fail to smile when they get into a Harbour Hotel bed!

On the wedding day the kitchen staff did a great job at providing us with yummy crisps and sandwiches (upon our request) to go with our champagne and to prevent us getting to tipsy before the walk to the church! The room service staff seemed as excited about the wedding as us and were so kind and well wishing that they could have been mistaken for more family members! In our excitement at the arrival of the photographers, we forgot that we needed to move out of the room and into the bridal suite (something to bear in mind). Amazingly even this didn't cause a problem; the staff simply packed ALL of my things for me and moved me completely and expertly into my new room!! Hilarious and VERY kind of them. Sorry to whoever had to pack up the make up kits!
The wedding day was a dream come true, we got married at the Sacred heart and St Ia Church and had a drinks reception and photos on the beach. This proved ace in keeping the children happy and keeping things interesting for the guests. The wedding meal was delicious and well presented - as a word of warning; the food at the harbour hotel is dangerously tasty. If choosing to have your wedding here, be prepared for pre marital rows over meal choices! In the end I had a different dessert to all of our guests as I found the clotted cream rice pudding crème Brule too gorgeous to let go! It's as yummy as it sounds! The serving staff coped well with the number of guests we had crammed into the dining room, all food was hot and all poached eggs runny - I mention this as I’d had my doubts that 150 perfect eggs would be possible! The only minor negative aspect was that with our number of guests, the dining room got quite warm. This could have been down to the temperature of the day though, the fact I was wearing my body weight in Spanish Satin or that we'd all drank far too much wine! The bar downstairs in the Selda suite is plenty big enough to have no major delays and the balcony is a wonderful way to cool down, take in the night air and introduce a change of scene for guests. We put deck chairs and blankets out for people to snuggle into (which worked pretty well!). Our band teamed up with the DJ (Kernow Entertainment) and together provided continuous music to laugh, dance and sing to. We were pretty much left to our own devices to have as much fun as we possibly could until 1am (late license) when we collapsing into the bridal suite!

The following day is something which is often overlooked in wedding planning. It's dull and a little depressing as consists of packing up and getting out. The hotel once again made things as easy as possible for us. All of our items were boxed back up, disassembled, tidied and ready to put in the car, which freed us up for goodbyes and quality hangover time. Becky (who oversees all weddings at the harbour hotel) was a seriously safe pair of hands, she thinks of everything, forgets nothing and ALWAYS gets back to you within a day of emailing. This level of care also continued after the wedding where she and her team personally saw that all items were collected and kept me posted of problems or issues. This impressed me as technically we were no longer customers nor did she have to bend over backwards to help us.

The whole team at the St Ives Harbour hotel seemed genuinely happy for us, they seemed glad to have us as customers and proud that we'd chosen them for our wedding. Seeing the staff all line up and wave us off on the way to the church was not only incredibly cute but quite touching too. Phil the manager made himself present at all times and made us feel very welcome and very well looked after indeed from arrival to departure. I have no regrets about choosing the Harbour Hotel as our wedding venue; I wouldn't change a thing and found the whole experience wonderful. Thing is, I've seen the treatment that their other customers get and it's pretty much the same. They do seem to really care and go the extra mile. We found it unusual that such a large and successful hotel group (which clearly looks the part and hits very high on the standards chart) has somehow managed to maintain or achieve a 'family' feel to the service they offer. I like it, and this alone is enough to make me want to return. They've been through a lot of changes recently and we shared in the stress of the large building project's timings and progress. They seem to have got there in the end though and the negative reviews we've seen may have been justified at the time. However, I'd say give them another go. If you write them off for one negative experience, you risk missing out on something pretty special. Though.... the less people that go the more likely it is for me to have the spa to myself again!

Room Tip: Blue and white room with four poster and balcony!!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Good afternoon Jennifer,
Thank you so much for posting such a wonderful review. Naturally, I am delighted that you both enjoyed such a great day, but I have to say that you both brought such an incredible energy with you, it was truly a delight to have been a small part of your celebration. From all of us here, please accept our very dearest best wishes and see you soon - as you are now part of our family you arent allowed to stay away too long!
Porthleven, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

what a lovely location for a wedding, unfortunately the whole day was somewhat marred by one member of rude and arrogant staff.. eg. after the ceremony we were shown to the venue room, the bar till had not been set up, the 'supervisor' jessie-may ( I believe) snapped at several peolple, including myself, I asked how much a bottle of Rose was, and her reply was 'if you are that desperaet for a drink there is wine on the talbe'.!!! I couldn't believe my ears, I asked her if she was serious and all I got in response was raised eyebrows, ! there were other members of staff there Julie and Clare who were working their socks off and always maintaining a smile, and this 'supervisor' was un-professional, rude and unpleasant. several of the wedding party commented upon it. didnt make a fuss at the time as we were attending a wedding. But it has put me off the place, thank goodness we didnt stay there. so thanks to Julie and Clare who worked hard all day, remaining professional and courteous. And I suggest the 'supervisor' needs some people skills training!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention. I am delighted that we have managed to resolve the situation now and very much hope that this most unfortunate experience will not stop you from returning to enjoy the improvements you have helped us to make.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

My fiancee decided that we needed a break and as she was already in St Ives for work, we'd heard good things about the St Ives Harbour Hotel. St Ives itself is a beautiful seaside town with a lovely mix of shops and culture; the crab sandwiches are amazing. The Harbour Hotel is no more than 5 minutes walk from the centre and has a lovely warmth and welcoming feel to it. The staff are friendly and made me feel like an old friend. The inside is charming, made even more so by the vintage lift, the bedroom we had was spacious, clean and offered a stunning sea view. The new spa was the cherry on the already wonderful cake and after sampling the pool (with wave machine), the jacuzzi, the steam room and sauna, I was ready for my ESPA massage. WOW....is the only way can sum it up. The spa staff and facilities were all fantastic and well worth the money; oh and I forgot about the view from the spa decking - absolutely breath-taking and comparable with the best views around the world . We've already booked our next stay and I really cant wait.

Room Tip: Get a sea view room
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your glowing praise - we are understandably proud of our brand new Harbour Spa and I am delighted that it really seemed to hit the spot for you too! Many thanks once again, and see you again soon!
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

Was in St Ives for business but arrived late so no shops or restaurants were open. Hotel staff was very helpful with room service. Hotel was nice, clean and I was perfectly happy for the night.
Didn't get my wake up call, though... didn't matter, as I woke up without it, but not really great that it was missed... they were very apologetic and gave me a reduction on the room... super :)

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Good afternoon and thank you for posting your review. I am sorry that the wake up call was missed, but I am equally pleased that the situation was resolved quickly and appropriately. Please do visit us again and next time I promise the wake up call will be in good time, alternatively, perhaps for a longer stay for some much needed R&R when an early call will be the last thing you will need!
Kindest regards
Philip
Bournemouth
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

The new spa at this hotel is fantastic, my husband & I were only staying for 1 night but spent the afternoon enjoying this facility.
The hotel is a totally different story. Our suit at £225 per night was old,dirty & in the middle of a building site. Every window/balcony you looked out of the builders were in sight, we had to try to look past this at the sea view which was lovely.
The restaurant was closed for redecoration & another room was being used for dinner.
When we arrived the receptionist was not very welcoming, although the manager did greet us with a friendly manner & helped us take our luggage to our room.
The car parking is a little worrying as our car was taken off by a porter to an unknown place & I was unsure if this was secure.
As we sat in the reception the next morning waiting for our car, we could hear the staff talking about their previous night out which I thought was unprofessional.
Did not eat in the restaurant so can't comment on this, but breakfast was ok.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to highlight your concerns. I am delighted that you enjoyed our new Harbour Spa, but am equally disappointed at your other observations especially regarding your suite. I have addressed this with my team to refocus on cleanliness, although I have good news that as part of our ongoing refurbishment - for example the restaurant being newly wallpapered, the rooms will be upgraded very soon. The builders have moved away from that area of the hotel now and are no longer interrupting the view or indeed making any noise to disturb the peace and quiet. The valet car parking is a service that we have offered here uniquely in St. Ives for the comfort of our guests - they are all excellent drivers and take great care with the vehilces with whichthey are entrusted. I am sorry that your welcome was not as warm as we are renowned for, I am just not sure why this would have been the case. Similarly, for staff to be discussing their social lives is simply not appropriate and again I will highlight this to them in the strongest terms. Thank you again for your time, and pleae do contact me personally at the hotel when I would like to resolve your dissatisfaction in a more appropriate manner.

Been to St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!