“Another nice meal” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in St Ives
SouthWest
“Another nice meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Have reviewed this before and basically nothing has changed ( the place is almost timeless, although some of the parts HAVE seen better days).
The Sunday dinner is the same very practical, filling and delicious meal that I have had there on past visits.
This visit I had the Mushroom and Brie with Tarragon sauce. It was really nice.
The serve yourself vegetables are also nice and the "afters" ( I had Apple and berry Crumble with Vanilla Ice cream), are delicious.
The staff as usual were friendly, efficient and polite.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Thank you for your review.

I am pleased that you continue to enjoy our very popular and filling Sunday Carvery dinner.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (613)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

An absolutely amazing venue for our wedding. We couldn't have had a better day, and weekend. From start to finish the staff at Tregenna were very much on the ball, professional throughout and supported us through all the hectic planning. The venue itself is beautiful, well maintained, and clean. The hotel and grounds are gorgeous and there is definitely enough to do on the grounds even if not venturing down into St Ives. The location of Tregenna is perfect, with the sea, harbour and beach views your stay is that much more relaxing. The Accommodation was brilliant both in the hotel (high ceilings, spacious rooms with good views) and also in the self catering lodges around the grounds which were extremely well equipped and not far at all from the Castle itself. Tregenna easily catered for all the needs of us and our guests. We truly couldn't have had a better time. Thank you to all at Tregenna, and especially to the Events team who helped us with our fabulous big day! Mr & Mrs Phillips

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review and five star rating.

I am so pleased that our events team and hotel staff ensured you had a fabulous wedding day.

We look forward to welcoming you back for another relaxing stay and would like to wish you all the happiness for the future as husband and wife.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We stayed at Tregenna Castle whilst on a family weekend break in St Ives in May. The grounds and the views are truly fantastic and we were lucky the weather was beautiful that weekend, so we were able to fully enjoy that aspect. However, the rooms were pretty disappointing - very much in need of modernisation, particularly the bathrooms. Breakfast was good - buffet style, decent quality. Service was also very good in all parts of the hotel, whether at reception, in the restaurant or at breakfast. We ate dinner in the restaurant on both nights of our stay, as we were staying half board - the food was excellent on the first night, but the same standard was, unfortunately, not maintained and on the second night, our meal was just average. This hotel could be phenomenal - the ground and views really are stunning, but the interior needs just needs a bit of TLC to be able to in any way compete with the surroundings in which the building sits.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
I appreciate you taking the time to write your review.

We are very fortunate with grounds on which our resort is situated and our team of gardeners work extremely hard maintaining them.

As has been mentioned many times recently we are making progress in our room upgrade project on those rooms that require it, not every room needs upgrading.

I hope you will visit us again on your next trip to St Ives.
London, England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We were really disappointed with our stay. We had stayed 27 years ago when our older was a toddler so this was intended as a nostalgic trip. We booked 3 sea view rooms, only 1 of which was ok. The 2 others had apparently not been updated in 27 years at least - the enamel in the baths had huge chips and were horrible. One of the rooms was very small and unacceptable, especially given the cost.
On the positive side the grounds are well kept and the views stunning. The staff in the restaurant were also very good. Also there is a really lovely Tea Shop in the village which serves very good gluten free items.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for you review.

I am sorry your recent stay did not meet your expectations, but I can assure you that it has definitely not been 27 years since we last upgraded our rooms.

If you had mentioned during your stay that you were not happy with your room(s) we would have happily looked to move you and your family to accommodation within our 72 acre site.
Lanivet, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We visited Tregenna this weekend just gone as we were attending a friend's Wedding. We decided to stay the night as we have a 3 week old baby and thought it would be nicer than having to make the 45 minute drive home in the dark. We are both glad that we did so as it was so much easier having a room to go back to with the baby when he needed feeding, changing etc.

Overall we both enjoyed our stay. We were greeted by friendly staff who were very helpful and polite, the grounds are beautiful and the food both at the wedding reception and for breakfast next morning was very nice.

The only complaint that I have is about our room. My wife booked the room a few months ago and told me that the price was £165 (approx), which I wasn't too happy about at the time as I felt that it was more than we could afford. However, I calmed down and thought 'oh well, it will be a nice break and for that kind of money the room is sure to be pretty special'. Upon entering the room however I couldn't have been more wrong....Its was much smaller than I had anticipated and in my opinion was not worth anything like the money we had paid for it. Although it was reasonably clean, it was still a little grubby and felt pretty tired and in need of a refurb. The carpet was well worn and there were holes and stains on the bedding. The bathroom was dated with areas of rust in the bath, stains in the toilet and a cheap roller blind that didn't work very well.

I don't like to complain and very rarely do as I am generally pretty laid back about these kind of things but just feel that we did not get value for money on this occasion. I know that it is June and we were in St.Ives but £165 for what was no better than a Travelodge room seems unacceptable. I would suggest lowering your prices or making some improvements.

Room Tip: I'm sure that there are nicer rooms than the one we stayed in but goodness knows how much they c...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

We always ask guests if everything is satisfactory during their stay to ensure any issues are dealt with and to ensure guests leave having had their expectations met. I am sorry you didn’t feel comfortable mentioning anything and instead have used other ways to raise your concerns.

I hope you decide to stay with us on your next visit to St Ives and see the improvements we are making.
Scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

The upsides of Treganna are the location, setting and grounds, all of which are beautiful as well as the staff, all of whom encountered were pleasant, efficient, well turned-out and charming. The rooms and public areas I used beyond the stretch of the lobby area are tired, dated and in need of major refurbishment.

I am struggling to recall a worse outlook in any room I have ever stayed in ... arguably unimportant but it certainly made me feel decidedly 2nd class given the location. Assuming that room 61 (5-night stay) is not untypical, it was kept reasonably clean but the furniture, fittings, bathroom and bed fall significantly short in quality, finish, comfort and overall standard one could reasonably expect for the room rate. The lack of air-con is perhaps understandable but opening the window to cool the unbearably warm room one is drawn to the plentiful warnings against leaving it open when the room is unoccupied because seagulls and magpies have been known to enter via the window. Rather than such a warning, why not spend a little bit on runs of composite spiking on the sills in all rooms prone to such intrusion ?? Birds do NOT fly straight into a room behind a lace curtain, they land on the sill first and such spike units dissuade landing rather than harm the birds.

I was just left with the impressions that Treganna is a wonderful, beautiful but under-valued asset requiring investment in the over-priced, shoddy accommodation and outer fabric of the building (extensive weed growth was clear on the sky-line profile of the building) ... desperately sad given the heritage it symbolises and the beauty of the location.

Room Tip: If Tregenna have any recently refurbished rooms, ask for one.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent review.

We are limited as to what we can do with regards to windows and placing ‘spikes’ on sills due to the fact our hotel is a grade II listed building. So we have taken the only step available to us and advised our guests of potential issues should they decide to leave windows open.

All our rooms are undergoing refurbishment and although ‘Ivy’ may be regarded as a weed most of our guests remark on how this adds to the beauty of our hotel. One person’s weed is another person’s flower.
Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

We headed down to Tregenna for a couple of days away. On arrival we were greeted war lay by the staff and checked in with ease.

Our room was lovely though we were expecting a king size bed and not the double we ended up with. The sea views were lovely and hardly any noise to disturb us.

The grounds of the castle are a pleasure to walk around in the evening after a meal at the brasserie.

We ate at the castle both nights and the good was reasonable good both nights. The second night we booked a particular table and were incredibly disappointed when that table was given to some one else.

The breakfast is what you would expect in most chain hotels. Choice of cooked English or cereal (or both). It was average but edible. The first morning there were some issues with dirty crockery. Whilst changing my lipstick stained mug for a clean one my breakfast was whisked away by enthusiastic cleaning staff forcing me to have to queue and order my meal again.

The outside pool was very pleasant whilst it was quiet however as soon as it becomes a little busy the place is noisy and uncomfortable.

Overall I did enjoy my stay, but I will not be rushing back.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay.

Although you may not be rushing back soon, we hope that you will visit us again on another trip to St Ives.

Been to Tregenna Castle Resort? Share your experiences!