“Tregenna Castle Weekend Break” 4 of 5 stars

Tregenna Castle Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Treloyan Avenue, St Ives TR26 2DE, England   |
Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in St Ives
Reading, United Kingdom
“Tregenna Castle Weekend Break”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

We arrived at 2.00pm for this our fourth short break at Tregenna. We were as always greeted by friendly staff and pointed in the direction of our room. The room was very well presented and off course extremely clean. There was a wedding taking place during our stay and some of the guests were rowdy. During the early evening I had cause to attend the reception desk due to the noise coming from the next room where some of the wedding party were changing. We were immediatly given a new room without any fuss. Unfortunatly due to the general rowdiness of the wedding party and the noise from the reception our time in the bar during the evening was less enjoyable that it has been on previouse occasions. Breakfast was as ever fabulous. The gardens were beautiful and the golf course suberb. All in all a lovely hotel with first rate staff and facilities. We cant wait to return although may avoid wedding weekends in future.

Room Tip: Pay to upgrade in possible. Get a sea view as the view is fantastic.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Thank you very much for your review, your compliments and your fantastic loyalty. I am extremely sorry that some of our guests caused you disturbance but pleased that we were able to relocate you to a more suitable location. When you are making your next reservation our team will be able to inform you if there is a function scheduled during your stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
Liverpool
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

We stayed here recently for a change as we normally visit every year in our caravan and it was a treat for my wife for a special occasion.

Check-in was hassle free and we were provided with some very useful information without being asked (good staff training).

As we walked to our room we began to giggle as every step we took the floor creaked!
I know it’s an old building but we found it very spooky.

We got to our room and the view was special and the room looked very nice except for the bathroom. It was just plonked in to the room, a normal stud wall but it had been cut short so you could see above it, it was not built up to the ceiling.

The bathroom was a big disappointment, chips in the bath enamel, water stains (damp) on the walls, bad paint work but the worst was the toilet, it was a “macerator” type toilet.

Well the noise it made was one thing; it had a life of its own, in the middle of the night you would be woken up by it suddenly coming to life on its own. The other problem was someone else had one above us as we heard that too in the night, in the day and whenever.

Turning back to the room I should have mentioned that on the first day we had driven a long way from Liverpool so we were tired. We decided to grab ten minutes only to be woken by a, women who we both thought was in the room but no she was next door.

You see we had a joining door which for all that it was worth, may as well not have been there because we heard every word (complaining over an issue in the bar area). Well the talking was one thing the other was their toilet, bath and the television, it was like we were in the room with them.

At night we had to contend with them leaving their light on all night which shone through the gaps in the door and lit up our room.

It’s the first hotel we have stayed in where you could not have a normal conversation only a whispered one so next door could not hear you.

They moved out and a family moved in….the same problems continued!

It was not warm when we visited but the hotel was lovely and warm.

Breakfast was a good feast, friendly staff but the rooms were very tired, in desperate need of some refurbishment. Saturday breakfast we were pushed in to a smaller room as an event was on in the main room. It was chaotic (I thought of Faulty Towers) several people had ordered toast that never arrived, other people were told to wait outside while others were sent to the bar lounge for breakfast. I would make changes to the systems that are in place as they don’t work.

Just as an example why have someone walk you to the other end of the room to show you a table for you to walk back from where you have just come from to get your breakfast? It seems a waste of my time and theirs, they could be employed doing other things, like my other ideas I have.

We did have an evening meal at the hotel and I cannot fault the food it was excellent. I hate to go on but they forgot the wine I ordered and they were not that busy.

I did make use of the leisure facilities which were ok. My only comment here is that there is not enough room in the changing rooms (I did hear regulars complaining who could not find room).
Turning to general issues I have to mention the car parking as we struggled to find a space. The rear car park is a bit of a mess and when it’s wet although it is covered in stones its very “mud like” and it gets all over your shoes etc.

The signage in the grounds really does need to be changed. Small green signs stuck on dirty/dark/green (moss) walls make them harder to see if not impossible. I would say 98% of people leaving the rear car park turned left but the exit is to the right (one way), the sign saying that is too small.

Having said that the way out looks like a dead end so that’s why people go to the left. The signs on the brown gates at the end need a bigger sign saying “Way Out” and an arrow. They could also do with painted arrows on the floor indicating the way out. If a pedestrian who knows it’s a one way crosses the road but only looks in one direction (due to their knowledge) and gets hit by a vehicle coming the wrong way I can see a liability case finding its way to the hotel.

Would we stay here again? Well I have to look at other hotels we have stayed in and I have to say give me a Premier Inn any day. OK, so we don’t get the view but that’s an awful lot of money just for that. I can use the leisure facilities for £4, eat and drink in the hotel when I want. I don’t have to put up with macerator toilets or talking neighbours in a Premier but save a lot of money in a nicer hotel.

The answer is of course NO.

Before I go I have mentioned it but repeat that the staff were amazing, they have to put up with a lot and it is a pressure job, each and every one of them kept their smiles even when things went wrong.

Room Tip: 1. Ask what type of toilet is in the room. 2. Ask if it has a door joining any other room. If it...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
It is unfortunate that you found so many aspects of our resort to criticise and I am sorry that your experiences in your caravan were more enjoyable.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

Good central place to stay on our last working trip this week, plenty of car parking places for me to get my large van parked at night. The rooms have good views over the gardens and golf course staff on reception and restaurant where very helpful and would help you with anything you needed. However the cleaners in my room where very slack I stayed for 5 nights and my bath and basin was Never cleaned, with the work I was doing I was very dirty by the end of the day so you can imagine what state my bath was in by the end of the week. I don't like complaining so I put up with it and it would not stop me from staying again but I think I would have to say something next time

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review and for your compliments.
Despite your reluctance to complain about the cleaning, I am glad that you did, as this needs to be addressed. I have passed your review to our housekeeping manager for his immediate attention and hope that we will see you here again.
Cowbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

Tregenna Castle Hotel was very easy to find situated on the main road through to St Ives, although once your through the gated entrance you feel as though your in the middle of nowhere..the beautiful gardens and golf course made fantastic settings for the gorgeous ivy covered castle entrance. Parking was plentiful and good size spaces for those not wanting door dents!!..the views from the side of the hotel were spectacular over looking St Ives and the surrounding coatline..there is a quaint little outside bar overlooking the outdoor pool which is equally as gorgeous that is fenced for the safety of any young children wishing to explore.. sunbeds are provided around the pool if you chose to sit around it..Once inside the beautiful old building there is a very welcoming reception area with cheerful staff that took time out to explain the full facilities of the hotel..our room was no.144 and I would highly recommend this room.. it was very quite and huge..with stunning sea views to one side and the walled subtropical garden the other..the bathroom was slightly dated and the shower had very little water pressure but hardly supprising with the size of the old building..the towels were fabulous again huge!!..breakfast needless to say was a success too..all the food was hot fresh and presented well..buffet style full English..fresh fruit..croissants..cereal and fruit juice something for everyone..the dining area was big enough to actually be able to have a conversation without the people on the next table feeling the need to comment!!.. fresh linen cloths on the tables and the staff were very attentive...Overall Id say this is one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in and we travel about a bit..I would most certainly go back and stay again.. a first for me..Thank You

Room Tip: choose room 144
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this review, May 17, 2014
Thank you very much for your informative, detailed and complimentary review. For me, the most flattering aspect is your final sentence, though. Again, thank you. And for rating us with five stars. We hope that you will come back and see us again.
Daventry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

We stayed on a tregenna weekend special from a Sunday Night. Really good value for the location, really nice room, and exceptional staff (with one exception).
The room was OK, not mind blowing, the bedroom itself had great views over the town, however the housekeeping lead a lot to be desired - there was evidence of old soap left in the room, and after day one - the shampoos that were used - no replacements were offered. The shower was poor - and generally needed an update.
The leisure facilities are poor - the guy on the reception was more interested in looking for a new car on autotrader than really helping - the words - just walk through the gym to the changing rooms - you cant get lost were muttered. The pool was OK, but really needed a deep clean. The biggest gasp - was having to pay to hire a towel - regardless of spending more than £200 in the hotel - nuts really. Oh - and male and female changing rooms at the back of a gym with guys doing weights?! Yep not ideal.
St Ives is a great spot - hotel in nice - being a relatively young couple - can get a bit overtaken by the bus tours - but get over that and you'll find a nice hotel. The staff are very knowledgeable of the local area - with great hints and tips.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
We are pleased that in general, your trip was enjoyable and that you considered us to be value for money. We are also pleased that you were happy with our staff, but the one exception has filled us with dismay, and we will investigate. I am sorry for any distress that this may have caused you.
Guests are welcome to use the towels from their room, when using the leisure centre, and have them replaced by our housekeeping team.
Thank you for your review and compliments
Ingatestone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

We spent a delightful 2 days here having been allocated a superb room in the West Wing which gave lovely views of St Ives .Reception staff were very helpful. The grounds are lovely and there is an excellent woodland walk which takes you part way to the beach and/or town. Excellent sport facilities. Breakfasts gave a good choice and were efficiently dealt with.
My only disappointment was the time it took to serve the evening meal in the restaurant . The waiting staff were very efficient and willing but there was a hold up in the kitchen which resulted in our meal,and those of several other diners taking an inordinate amount of time. Notwithstanding this ,we enjoyed our stay and would return and recommend the hotel

Room Tip: Rooms in the West wing are spacious and give glorious views of the town
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
I am very sorry that delays in the kitchen marred your visit, but grateful that despite the inconvenience, you enjoyed your stay and would come back and visit us again.
Thank you for all of your compliments and your review, we look forward to welcoming you back.
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

We had an enjoyable 3 day stay at the Tregenna Castle Hotel. It stands in lovely grounds and has a pleasant, though steep, walk down to town. Not best coming up for the very elderly. If you drive down might be difficult to park in town in high season. We liked the walk as it gave us exercise. I am 70. Staff very friendly and room was nice. There was always a friendly staff member on hand to help with anything. Found food of a good quality. It had an old fashioned feel in the main hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view - costs a bit more.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
We are very glad that you had a pleasant three day break with us and that everything, except the uphill trek, met with your approval. Thank you for your compliments and for taking the time to post a review.

Been to Tregenna Castle Resort? Share your experiences!