“Outstanding” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in St Ives
Montrose, United Kingdom
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

My husband and I travelled to Tregenna castle for our one year anniversary!
The room was stunning overlooking the magnificent view, breakfast was perfect - a good choice for everyone. There was a large function on while we stayed but the service received was still five star regardless of how busy the hotel was. Nothing was too much for the staff!

We would recommend to anyone and definitely be back ourselves!

Well done TC

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
All of us here, wish you a happy anniversary with many more to come!
We are pleased that your visit was so pleasant and that you had a great time.
Thank you for your review, your compliments and the fantastic rating. I hope that we will see you both here again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
Southampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

We have just returned from having a winter break in St Ives. Highly recommended, no crowds and very beautiful. The Tate Gallery, Barbara Hepworth Museum, watching the surfers and the dolphins in the bay and just enjoying this idyllic spot in winter. We stayed in the Tregenna Castle Hotel for two nights and found it quite delightful. The room was lovely with beautiful views over the bay and breakfast was superb. You can walk into town through their beautiful gardens which has a stream and waterfalls running alongside. Our only exercise apart from the walk was a swim in the pool but if we return the tennis courts and golf course will be taken advantage of.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the bay on the second floor which was lovely.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to write and post a review and for rating us so highly.
We are pleased that you enjoyed your time in St.Ives and in our hotel, and sincerely hope that you will come back soon, for tennis and golf.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

We have spent New Year here for the last few years. The hotel is beautiful & always spotless, the staff are helpful & pleasant and I think local to the town !!!!!!!!!! Can't recommend it enough, lovely for a couple of nights and plenty to do if you stay for longer ... Located at the top of St Ives so fantastic views of St Ives but maybe a little difficult if you have problems walking up or down hills.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Thank you for regularly choosing us as your New Year's Eve destination and for your kind compliments. We sincerely hope that for as long as you visit St.Ives to celebrate the New Year, you will stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

would just like to say that my family and i had the most perfect time here...
the staff were so nice and couldn't help enough..
this place is child friendly and beautiful...and the food was awesome.
will be back..
the Murphys room 139

Thank you once again will recommend...

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Thank you for your great review and excellent rating. I thoroughly enjoyed our conversation and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back and have another.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

We just came back home from short break in St. Ives. We found Treggena Castle very nice and interesting place to stay. Hotel with amazing grounds and views over St. Ives. We had dinner in dinner in hotels restaurant, which was amazing. Great crab and wonderful steak. Kitchen at the top of there game. Cannot wait to come back for more. Front house staff very attentive and efficient. The only fault we have found during our meal were the awful drapes in restaurant - please take them down, you don't need them, the view through the window is fantastic hence only 4stars ;) but just us being fussy.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely, complimentary review. We are very pleased that you enjoyed the food, the service and our hotel, also that the only fault was the drapes in the Brasserie.
I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back before too long.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

I came here with my husband for a two night break. We have to work all through Christmas, so we were looking forward to a few days away to enjoy ourselves and relax.

Coming up to Tregenna it looked lovely on the outside and the grounds were very clean, tidy and well kept. There were quite a few pot holes as you go round to the back of the hotel. Around the side we noticed the self catering lodges - these looked gorgeous from the outside and I would certainly like to find out more.

The reception area is very clean and tidy and looks lovely which gives a very good impression.

When we got to our room I was impressed. We had only paid an extra £20 to upgrade to a room with a king size bed, which meant you got a sea view. What a view it was. You could see St Ives, the sea and a lot of the grounds. We had the kingsize bed, a sofa and two chairs and a table. There was also plenty of space for clothes and luggage etc.

We had a three course carvery the first night, which was nice, there was a good selection, but thought it odd there was only red meat options, no chicken or turkey?

When we woke up the next morning, I noticed that because the bed dipped slightly my back was aching a bit. I tried to brush it off just thinking it was because I was not in my usual bed. Unfortunately the second morning, both me and my husband were awake very early as both our backs hurt from the bed dipping quite badly.

I thought it a shame that the shower in the room had very very low pressure, it took ages to wash the shampoo out of my hair, and by the time the water covered you, it felt cold.

I also noticed how cold the bedroom was. There was a radiator, but being right under the window, any heat just vanished. There was a heater in the room, but was only warm, not hot. With it being this time of year I would of thought there may be some blankets. The next day I asked the cleaning staff if they had any and she got me too which helped.

Unfortunately we also had a issue with our room service meal that we ordered. Long story short, it hadnt been made when we went to collect it and when it was made, it was completely different to the menu (and worse). I was so disappointed. Luckily my husband sorted it, and they kindly made alternative arrangements. When we got some food, I ordered the fish and chips. I will say that this meal was gorgeous, I highly reccommend the fish and chips, possibly the best one I have had. I also noticed that on the bill it stated £8 for two cokes?? This was a shock - I have never seen such a high price for a soft drink! I will never order a simple coke from here again.

I had high hopes for a lovely break and it looked promising. It was unfortunate that too many hiccups ended up making us feel we had a wasted break.

I will just add that the breakfast in the morning was self service and there were plenty of options. The fry up was very good. A bit disappointed that if you wanted a vegetarian sausage, you would have to wait 15 mins for it to be cooked, so my husband had to go without. There was also 4 cereal choices in bowls, 3 were cornflakes. They did however have very tasty hashbrowns.

St Ives was a lovely place to experience for the first time, but unfortunately I wont be staying at Tregenna Castle.

Room Tip: Sea view room (third floor / top floor)
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We are pleased that there were many aspects of your stay that you enjoyed, but sorry that there were disappointments that have led you to the decision not to visit us again.
I am glad that your room service confusion was sorted out to your satisfaction and that the meal was gorgeous.
I hope that you might reconsider your decision and return for another visit.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

Purpose was a short break to unwind after a stressful time and Tregenna provided the opportunity to do just that - from its superb view of St Ives harbour, its excellent service, good food, very comfortable room, and its convenient location and range of facilities. Totally spoilt really!

Room Tip: Upgrade to sea view
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Thank you very much for your trenchant review and your fine compliments. We are very pleased that you succeeded in achieving your objective and enjoyed your time with us. I sincerely hope that the next time you need some R and R you will think of us.

Been to Tregenna Castle Resort? Share your experiences!