“Nice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in St Ives
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights the 2nd night being our xmas party night. The grounds of the hotel are gorgeous we walked into St Ives (10 min) through the gardens. Our room was ok it looked out over the swimming pool with nice views of St Ives.It has been updated with a large bathroom & the room was large enough.The breakfast was ideal on a buffet style with a lot of choices.The party night was good the food was nice served together & hot our party asked for more vegetables & were given them the entertainment was good. Would recommend this hotel for a short break.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Thank you for your review and your compliments. We are extremely pleased that everything met with your satisfaction and that your Christmas party was an enjoyable affair. We sincerely appreciate any recommendations you may make and hope that we will get to see you here again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (616)
Launceston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

We have just returned from a delightful pre-Christmas break to the Tregenna Castle Hotel, and we have had a wonderful time... From the moment you step inside the Hotel you are greeted by that old style elegance of Hotels gone by, a beautiful piano stands near the entrance together with a number of large comfortable leather chesterfields, The reception staff were very friendly and throughout our stay very helpful and attentive.

We booked on a DBB basis and our meals were taken in the Brasserie, again the staff were fantastic - friendly and attentive - and the choice and quality of the food was very good - with the option to upgrade to the a la carte menu - .

Yes the bedrooms are a bit outdated, yet they are spotlessly clean and tidy. Yes the Hot water system could be better, but it is an old Hotel..

What I would say is try it for yourself, and if you should ask us "Would you stay there again" the answer would be a very Definate YES,.... I think that says it all....................

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Thank you for your lovely, flattering review and for rating us with five stars. It is very pleasing to read your compliments; of our staff, the atmosphere, the cuisine. Thank you.
We are very happy that you would come and visit us again and look forward to welcoming you back.
Suffolk England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

We booked to stay here on a KGB deal, 2 nights bed and breakfast.As this was the first time I had used a voucher company I phoned to confirm and explained it was my birthday and that if I was to book this deal I didn't want to feel that we would be second rated! Was told happily that this had been noted and we would have a good room, I also booked treatments in their spa facility. On approach it certainly looks the part, and the gardens are outstanding, that's where the attention to detail stops!. The room we had was a small double with a very shabby bathroom (plastic shower curtain pulled across bath). Very dark with no view (across back of hotel facing what we could only think to be as a block which may be used by staff). There was no hot water on the first evening, we got up early the next morning and ran the water constantly before we had any hint of heat coming through. I explained this to the therapist who I had an appointment with, and she said i should speak to hotel reception about it, as quite clearly a lot of water is wasted in an attempt to get what would be remotely acceptable for a shower. This I did, only to be met with a comment (from a very frosty woman on reception) of "what do you expect it is a very old building!' I expect to be able to have a shower on demand as I wish, is the answer, not that I said that to her as I found her response very hostile. Breakfast is a joke, all seated in what seems to be an extremely outdated oversized function room. I asked for a boiled egg, 10 minutes later I was asked how I would like it done, by which time my partner had been up to the "buffet traditional breakfast self service" and had started to eat his breakfast. I asked for it to be runny please....it arrived another 10 minutes later on a tea plate (no egg cup!) and as I hit it with my spoon it just stuck to it and didn't move. The place has so much potential, but seems more suited to coach parties, who appear to have paid less than us, but got the better rooms. This being part of our 2 week holiday of travelling around Devon and Cornwall proved to be the worst place that we stayed. St Ives is very pretty and I had a fabulous birthday dinner at the Seafood Cafe in the town, fabulous staff beautiful fresh fish and outstanding service...the best part of the birthday visit, they even did a special surprise sweet with happy birthday written in chocolate on the outside rim of the plate! I very rarely leave reviews, unless they are very memorable..or not..this is not! We were happy to leave after 2 nights and go on to our much more enjoyable destination in Rock.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am happy you enjoyed our gardens, they are truely beautiful. With regards to the rest of your review, I can only apologise that we did not meet your expectations. We are in the process of updating all of our bathrooms and bedrooms, this work will be completed over the next few months. All feedback both positive and negative helps us to improve our facilities for future guests. I sincerely hope that you will decide to visit us again in the future.
Coventry, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

Myself and my husband stayed at Tregenna Castle last weekend for our Cornish honeymoon. On arrival the view of the building from the driveway is amazing. It's a stunning looking building situated in gorgeous we'll maintained gardens. Having just got married we were both looking forward to just relaxing and planned on spending quite a bit of time in the hotel.
Now I'm going to be honest. As soon as I walked through the door I felt disappointed. The decor was very old fashioned and looked rather dated and it just had that old hotel look about it. After checking in to out room, which I have to say had the best view of St Ives Bay and the sea, we relaxed with a bottle of the house Champagne. 'Twas yummy!
The room was lovely, with a nice lounge area, a good bathroom and a gorgeous four poster bed.
We had booked in for dinner that evening and we were both left a bit disappointed with our meals. The steaks we're lovely but certainly not worth the amount we were charged.
And that's the only complaint I have about Tregenna. It's literally a five minute walk into St Ives through some of the gardens. The more time we spent there the less "old fashioned" it felt and became more quirky. The staff there are very helpful and were on hand at all times. And I highly recommend the treatment rooms there. I booked myself in for a half hour massage which was total heaven. A lovely young lady who knew exactly how to relax you.
Overall experience of Tregenna was good and we'd both return.

Room Tip: West wing see view room is worth every penny! You'll struggle to find a better view of St Ives.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
Congratulations on you recent wedlock and thank you for choosing to visit us during your honeymoon.
We are pleased that you were happy with your visit and that you would come back and see us again.
Thank you for your review and compliments. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Truro, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

We booked our Christmas work party here and overall we had such a fantastic evening but this was because of the fun we had as a group and nothing to do with the hotel. Our party was made up of 8 couples, all of who stayed the night. Two couples changed rooms immediately because of twin beds. It amazes me why any hotel would default to offering a couple a twin room, most people expect a double. Having said this they were changed hassle free which was good, although you expect complaints to be dealt with like this anyway. Our room was satisfactory when we initially saw it, with a gorgeous view of St.Ives and the sea. However, when the couple next door came back we realised the door on one of our walls led into their bathroom. It was obviously locked but their was a gap around the door where the light came through and literally every sound could be heard, especially with bathrooms being as echoey as they are! The lack of privacy was shocking! The embarrassing part about this is that we felt we had to remain quiet to preserve the poor couples privacy! These two rooms are not suitable for individual couples and if you have a good understanding of your establishment you would know this. Either that or Tregenna are taking liberties. They are fit for inter joining purposes only. I presume they must book people into these rooms hoping that not everyone will complain and ask to be moved. We would have certainly asked to change if it wasn't for the fact we knew we were going to be back late and we didn't want to eat into our time there. The toilet wasn't clean and a piece of fibreglass had broken off the bath and was just sitting there. Obviously there was no attention to detail either. The whole hotel is so outdated, it really does need a huge amount of money spent on it. The plumbing needs investment as well because as soon as people start to wake up and use their toilets the noise is unacceptable. I think pumps are used to assist the flush which I understand might be necessary in old buildings but they have to look at other options because you don't expect the associated noise we had to put up with and were woken up by. With regards to the function the food really was poor. The whole party was disappointed. Specifically from my point of view, the starter of prawn cocktail wasn't worth having. Maybe 6 or 7 tiny prawns. The turkey was ok and the dessert was edible. However we still had a great night, the £13 bottles of house vinegar helped...this is no exaggeration, the wine was the worst I've ever tasted. In the spirit of Christmas we all laughed about it and had great fun but I would not stay at Tregenna castle again unless significant changes were made.

• Stayed December 2013
Thank you for posting a review. We value all feedback both positive and negative. I am very sorry that you were so disappointed with your accommodation on the night of your party. We are investigating making changes to address the issues that you raised regarding the noise.
The issue with the twin rooms was a genuine error on our behalf, that was rectified immediately and for which we apologise. Our Executive Chef has been made aware of your comments regarding your meal and sends his apologies.
Somerset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

We booked 2 nights here for a midweek break. We had a really nice large room with a wonderful view at no extra charge .The bed was really comfortable and there was plenty of tea and coffee in the room. The bathroom was large and very clean. Breakfast was excellent piping hot and the staff very helpful. We will definitely go back .

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write and post a review and for rating us so highly.
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your experience with us and that you will be visiting us again, we look forward to seeing you again.
Solihull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

We attended a friends birthday party at the end of November, this was our first visit to Tregenna Castle having heard a lot about the hotel and surroundings. The hotel is very impressive as you journey up through the driveway. The staff were very friendly and courteous in all areas of the hotel. We stayed in one of the Cottages adjacent to the hotel which was very comfortable and well equipped. I played a round of golf on the Par 3 course, the views over St Ives bay from the 11th hole are spectacular.
A great location for a long weekend or holiday

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
We are pleased that you had a pleasant time with us and hope that the party was an enjoyable affair.
Thank you for your compliments and for awarding us such a high rating.
I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back, someday soon.

Been to Tregenna Castle Resort? Share your experiences!