“Mothers Day lunch” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in St Ives
UK
“Mothers Day lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Out to lunch for Mother’s Day.
Decided to book Tregenna Castle in St Ives as Mum had been recently and really enjoyed. Arrived a few minutes late and found parking a bit of a problem, (the rotary club had booked and some sort of car sales was in progress) squeezed into a spot. We were in the Godrevy dining room on table 8, next to the window. I had a good view over the gardens and the bay as far as Godrevy lighthouse. The dining room setting is fabulous and spotless. We all opted for the carvery although the Mother’s Day menu looked so tempting. A choice of turkey, beef, steak and fish with all the appropriate trimmings, very well presented.
We all enjoyed our meals, two had turkey, and three had the beef. We all agreed that the only slight let down was the roast potatoes that felt and tasted like frozen spuds. Desserts were lovely and rounded the meal off just right. I had the crumble and custard and the portion size was perfect
The meal for five came to £ 104.00 including drinks. We will be back. Soon

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
We all hope that your mother had a fabulous day and are happy that you all enjoyed your dining experience.
I have spoken with our Head Chef, and whilst he apologises for the potatoes, he assured me that they were made fresh on the day.
Thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you here again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (615)
Frome
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

My husband, son and I stayed here for 2 nights in February with my mother and father in law. This was a Groupon deal and was part of my in- laws Christmas present. To be fair it was £99 for 2 nights with breakfast. We had read the reviews on here and decided to go with an open mind. As most reviewers have said the drive up is amazing and it really is a spectacular property. On arrival we parked at the front and stayed in the car whilst my husband went to check in. He came back rather speedily and said there could be a potential problem, on the Saturday night they had a last minute function and were worried about noise in our room and were giving us an alternative option with chalets positioned at the rear of the hotel. After inspection of both room and chalet my mother in-law decided she would rather take the room. The chalets seemed great to us but it was her trip! My husband managed to haggle and we had a complimentary bottle of wine for our inconvenience, we should of been told prior, especially with a young child. Our rooms were positioned at the front of the hotel overlooking the entrance. The interiors were clean and tidy, yes, the bathrooms are completely outdated but did the job. Our room (75) was extremely hot even though we turned the radiator off and kept windows open (curtains shut - birds). On the first night we thought we would try out the pool, again dubious about reviews. I can honestly say, as did everyone else unfortunate enough to to be in there that it is absolutely freezing! There is no way that it has 29 degree temp. We really loved the setting, a big greenhouse effect but it was far, far too cold. Please take this on board Tregenna. yes, we got charged 50p for towels but would happily have paid £1 to be able to swim in some relevance of warmth. We also decided to eat in the restaurant that evening, they have a set menu for £22. What they fail to tell you is that certain items have a supplement (steak-£10+). To me that isn't really a 'set' menu. Had pasta, it was ok. Service was very good and attentive. Breakfast following morning was great, wonderful waitress (Sian?). Function on the Saturday night that was 'last minute' actually had an advertisement on reception, an army boxing match! Obviously a low key event! The breakfast room was quickly turned in to a boxing ring with seating. We went out for dinner and came back at 9.30, hotel was heaving. Turned out not to be a problem as in our room didn't hear a thing. What was a problem was breakfast the following morning, we arrived at 9 and were told we had a long wait for a table as last nights boxing guests had taken so many rooms ( again, not so last minute). We waited with a party of 6 behind us having an even longer wait........ When we did get a table there was no service as the day prior, no waitress taking tea and toast orders and above all, juices empty! After around 15 minutes the guy came out with 3 jugs of juice but these were washed away by the queue, they couldn't keep up with demand. Bad show and they obviously were aware of their boxing bookings and should have staffed accordingly. It was ok, were blessed with beautiful weather and had a lovely walk through the well kept and beautiful grounds to get to St Ives which is a stunning harbour town. Book any harbour side restaurants early as we got caught out. Great art galleries. Tried to work out who the 'Basil Fawlty' is that replies to these Trip Advisor reviews whilst there but not sure if I could pick him out. Sure he will also be as witty to us......

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for your review.
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We have just returned from a 3 night break from Tregenna Castle and had a very enjoyable time.
All the staff were extremely friendly and pleasant and very helpful. Our room was very warm, clean and comfortable. The breakfast was excellent and very good service. The walk down to St.Ives through the gardens was very pretty, but coming back not too good if you have bad legs as it is extremely hilly. Our break was very reasonable as we booked through KGB deals and it was very good value for the money.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review and for rating us with five stars.
We are pleased that you consider us value for money and that you had a pleasant experience at Tregenna Castle.
We hope that you will visit us again sometime soon.
Bargoed, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We had two wonderful nights at the hotel last week. Very grand, and comfortable! Our room was very clean and warm, lovely sheets! Fantastic view and gardens. The breakfast is amazing, and our evening dinner was delicious. But what made it for us was the service from all the staff, nothing was too much trouble, and all we met were very efficient and pleasant. I must say the spa facilities are a real letdown and really need updating. Especially considering the competition in the local area. Come on, sort it out! We were in room 165 - please note the curtains don t meet and we could not open the bathroom window as the sash was broken. And yes, the floors do creak but embrace it as part of the character of such an amazing building!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
We are extremely pleased that you had a great time and that you enjoyed your meals and the service.
I am sorry that you were disappointed with the leisure facilities, we do have plans to update/renovate the pool area in the future.
Incidentally, we do not have a room 165, but if it is 65 that you are referring to, our maintenance team will address this issue.
I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back sometime in the future.
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

The strength of Tregenna Castle is in its incredible location overlooking Carbis Bay and St Ives, and the spa and sporting facilities available during your stay. That said, to get the best of both worlds I'd highly recommend staying in one of the hotels rental holiday cottages in the grounds which are beautifully furnished, clean, modern, and give you the opportunity to store surfboards, beach towels, cook local food in the evenings, and not be rushed for breakfast!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
We are extremely glad that you enjoyed your time in one of our self catering properties and that you had the opportunity to avail yourself of our facilities.
If you are interested in surfing, we post a brief weekly report on our website, or alternatively, Magicseaweed.com gives a very comprehensive report.
I hope that you will visit us again.
Christchurch, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We have just spent two most enjoyable nights here. The hotel is set in beautiful grounds with a short stroll down to St. Ives harbour. Fairly steep hill on the way back! The beach has beautiful golden sand.
The staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Our room was cosy and warm with a tea tray and hair drier included. Nice fluffy towels in the bathroom.
The breakfast was well presented with a good choice and dinner the same.
We are now looking forward to returning in the Autumn.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you very much for your review and for rating us with five stars.
We greatly appreciate your compliments and will be pleased to welcome you back in the Autumn.
Clacton-on-Sea, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at Tregenna last week for 2 nights...I wish it had been 10!

From the moment we arrived and saw the amazing setting for ourselves I knew we had found somewhere special. We were greeted by one of the lovely ladies on reception and speedily checked in. After reading certain reviews on here I wasn't sure what to expect from our room but I'm happy to say I was very pleasantly surprised. The room was very large and dual aspect so lovely and light. We had a super Kingsize bed which was indeed 2 singles zip locked together. Why people have a problem with this we were unable to fathom! There was also a generous supply of tea, coffee and milk which is a rarity now days. Did our bath have a couple of chips in the enamel...yes it did. Did it bother me...not in the slightest. At 5'11 I would rather have a bath that I can actually stretch out in than some new plastic monstrosity that I would struggle to bath my children in! I must add that both the bedroom and bathroom were absolutely spotless.

We were on a £99 for 2 nights b&b deal which included 20% off the evening menu which equated to £18 for 3 courses. For the quality of food this was a total bargain! The pigeon breast starter and game pie main were 2 of our particular favourites. The marshmallow and bubblegum parfait not only made me smile because it was so pretty but tasted wonderful as well.

Some people have commented on the drinks being expensive. £7 for a pint of lager and a JD and coke is not what I would call excessive especially in a hotel.

We also sampled the afternoon tea which was on a buy one get one free deal. All I can us make sure your hungry because its enormous and totally delicious!

Breakfast was one of the nicest I have had at any hotel. All the ingredients used were of a good quality and there was plenty of choice. The lovely chef who was replenishing the hot food couldn't have been more obliging.

We didn't use the leisure facilities but they looked very nice from what we could see.

The walk into St Ives is very steep but the gardens are so beautiful you really won't mind. Most people get a taxi back up to the hotel but we decided to accept the challenge of walking back up...I have just about recovered now :0$

From the beginning every single member of staff at Tregenna went out of their way to make us feel welcome and ensure we had a good stay. I really can't praise them enough. When we were checking out we spoke with Fred (guest relations) and it was easy to see how passionate he is about making sure everyone has a good stay.

My partner and I have both totally fallen in love with St Ives and will be making many more trips back there and we shall of course be staying at this truly fabulous hotel :0)

• Stayed March 2013
What a fantastic, complimentary and enthusiastic review. It was a pleasure to read!
Thank you very much for taking, what must have been considerable time, to write this review and for rating us with five stars.
It was a pleasure to meet you and your partner and have a very pleasant conversation.
I sincerely hope that you will come and visit us again, even though it is a long way to travel. Perhaps you can bring your children next time, I hope so.

Been to Tregenna Castle Resort? Share your experiences!