“I wish there was a rating between very good and average for this place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Western Hotel

Western Hotel
and 1 more site!
You added Western Hotel to your Saves list
Western Hotel
Royal Square, St Ives TR26 2ND, England   |
Ranked #19 of 25 Hotels in St Ives
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“I wish there was a rating between very good and average for this place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

When we arrived at this hotel, we didn't think it was going to be that great because of the reviews we had seen on here but we needed to stay somewhere a little cheaper for one night whilst we were away. However, we were pleasantly surprised. The room was lovely and clean, sheets were fresh on the bed, bathroom was clean. We didn't encounter any uncleanliness in this hotel at all.

The bar down stairs is noisy at night. I didn't think it would bother us as we tend to be the people in the bar! But we went up at about midnight and the noise continued for quite a bit. But if you take some ear plugs, you'll be fine - which I did so no big problem. I'm a light sleeper. My boyfriend who didn't have ear plugs and doesn't have trouble sleeping was not bothered by the noise. The bar is a nice place to hang out and we had a few pints there and were very entertained by the live music! We're not surprised that people wanted to carry on into the night!

The breakfast in the morning was lovely and the lady who served us was very polite and sweet. She went out of her way to make sure our dietary requirements were seen to without making a fuss and she was really friendly.

Parking is a little out of the way but it's not a bus ride away - it's a 3 minute walk (ok it's up quite a steep hill but you're not going to spend a huge amount of time in the car park! And it's not too expensive - it was something like £3.80 for overnight.

The hotel is close to the centre of St Ives so it's a perfect place to base yourselves whilst in Cornwall. There are a few little things you have to consider like noise, parking tiny bit out of the way - we're not so fussy but if these things may truly bother you, than perhaps you'd be better off paying a little extra for a hotel with parking that's a little bit outside of town for some peace.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

We arrived at the Western hotel and thought it looked absolutely picturesque, we then suddenly realised we could not park our car anywhere to offload our luggage. Contacting the hotel, we soon found out that there was no available parking spaces apart from a carpark which is a £1.50 BUS RIDE away. This car parking then cost £6.30 a day and the car park it regularly full. Finally getting inside we had to wait at the reception area for 10 minutes for a member of staff to greet us and check us in. Not one member of staff was seen. Eventually getting our key we checked into to a top floor pokey room with hardly any breathing space. Our reciept said FAMILY ROOM-Sleeps 3, but we got a disgusting room, with no space, no window view, apart from a Taxi Rank which became a large problem when trying to sleep. The sink to the bathroom was at the foot of my bed rather than inside or further away. A strange smell occured from the drains of the toilet and a horrible musky smell from the 2cm thick bed linin. My bed was the equivelent to lying on a wooden box. The curtain rail fell off whilst we showered. The first thing that came to mind when I entered the room was 'Prison Cell' Oh no, perhaps that's too generous? It took alot of hard work to scrape enough money to pay £80 a night in this disgusting place which had staff that were rarely seen and not in appropriate uniform such as beach clothes annd short casual tubeskirts. An absolute dissapointment, and ruined the whole atmosphere of the holiday. We just wanted to go home but we'd paid too much money to throw it away. We shall most definitely be avoiding this hell hole in the future.
Not an idyllic accomodation for families and children.

Room Tip: Always read reviews and do your absolute best research before booking!!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
england
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

Spur of the moment booking , usual hotel full. Very nasty room over looking the bus stop and above the bar. Room yuck with faded and burnt carpet, dirty shower , disgusting net curtain covering filthy window. Buses stopped at around midnight then the rebel rousers from the bar below went on until 2 am shouting, smoking , singing, crying, scate boarding, taxis tooting, then delivery van at about 6am dropping off stuff at the shop across the road, then the bin van.
Complained to the manager ( once I finnally found him } he told me to keep my voice down , not to wake the guests !! err that would be me then.

Room changed next day now over looking the back of the curry house and the mexican restaurant, above the function room that was playing jazz, I'm not fond of jazz, I prefer music.,
Room not cleaned or bathroom, only the duvet pulled up, no replenishing of tea and cofee, used cup unwashed. Hallway carpet full of dirt and crap, never hoovered once in 3 days, stair bannister sticky to touch. All in all not a very nice place to stay. DO NOT RECOMEND.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Newquay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

I stayed here just a few weeks ago and I thought it was ideal! I was visiting St Ives to attend a job interview and stayed for one night.

I believe I checked in with the manager/owner who was chatty and friendly. I'd booked a single room but he informed me that they had upgraded me to a double and also that the price I had paid included breakfast (Didn't say this on Laterooms) So was very happy from the word go!

Room and ensuite were both clean and comfortable and exactly what I expected.

There was some noise from the bar below that evening, but the owner had mentioned that there was a band on. Plus I didn't mind too much because I was awake anyway.

Yes there are renovations going on but they didn't start till around 9am the next day so not disruptive to me at all.

I unfortunately didn't get chance for breakfast here as I had to go pretty quickly but I'm sure it would have been great (dining area looked lovely!)

Overrall - I thought this was ideal and would stay again for longer.

Many thanks!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

After a long day travelling, we where very dissapointed by this hotel,the room was not cleaned very well,the shower hose was broken and leaking water everywhere,the shower curtain was mouldy and falling off the rail. We had intended to inform managment but they where nowhere to be found. After a very long sleepless night due to live bands playing in the pub downstairs till 1am then revellers talking loudly till 2am outside and a delivery truck arrivng at the store accross the road at 6:30am to do its deliveries,and the bedbugs, we had had enough. We then went out for the morning only to find when we returned we were locked out of our room for 2 hours while waiting for a locksmith as the cleaners had latched the lock from the inside. When we finally did get into the room we were greeted by coffee cups that had not been washed,towels that had not been changed and a bathroom that was not cleaned,it seems all the cleaners did was staighten the bed, and still management was nowhere to be found. Breakfast was a choice of cereal or a full english. All in all this is a terrible place to stay in a noisy area. Guests are left unattended,the staff are unprofessional and customer service is almost non existent.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2011

pokey room, shabby decor, tv didn't work properly, lock on door needed replacing as we got locked in and had to call reception to be got out! There also was no parking available so had to pay for a car park and lug our luggage a fair distance. Over priced compared to other much nicer hotels near by.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

stayed here for three nights for the new year,Hotel was very nice ,staff were friendly,breakfast was great ,Our room was at the back off the hotel next to the staff quarters but was very clean and comfortable shower was great .Was noisy on a night but that was to be expected over the new year with everyone partying didnt bother us though as we got no kids with us.New year in st ives, Great evryone enjoying them selves in fancy dress not a bit of trouble in sight great stay will be back.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Western Hotel? Share your experiences!