“Good location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in St Ives
London, United Kingdom
“Good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

The hotel and rooms were very clean. We had 2 rooms, although the single room bathroom was very tight, not possible to even sit on the toilet properly. Shower flow was slow and could do with improving. The breakfast was good, as it should be. Staff were pleasant. Walk to the beach is a bit scary down the steps from the hotel, but it seems tight in other places. Beach is only a 5 minute walk. Good parking facilities.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

This is potentially a lovely hotel with a great view of the bay. The location is not for the weak-kneed as it is quite a slog up from central St Ive's, though it is somehow worth the climb and just up from both the bus and railway stations. The road crossing in front of the hotel is particularly dangerous and tricky, as traffic comes at you at speed from many directions at a complex sloping junction. This is not the hotel's responsibility, but a pedestrian crossing is badly needed here and they should join in with their neighbours to campaign for one.
When I booked with Booking.com my room was described as 'Deluxe' and my expectations were high as was the £690 for four nights price of the room (even by July/August standards?) However, apart from the panoramic view, the room was far from 'deluxe': quite small for two people, no fridge, windows that only opened a few inches (presumably for safety reasons, but this made the room hot and stuffy) and a fairly cheap mattress and the usual domestic range of TV channels. Essentially it was an ordinary guest bedroom. The en suite however was fine and the staff dealing with the bedroom were friendly and efficient and I left them a tip.
Staff were friendly and helpful, though they all seemed strangely young. The breakfast was disappointing: not much choice for those who don't like a full cooked breakfast which was itself a bit 'canteen basic': if you don't like your eggs fried you have to order them how you want which admittedly I didn't try. Also, beware - the musak is some appalling pop radio music which is pretty aggressive and ridiculous for those wanting a peaceful breakfast. Light classical? But please - no disco!
Essentially, the place is a bit tired and chintzy and needs to be made smarter and fresher. I can see that it is not aimed at me but more old fashioned couples and families who might still be fine with this sort of approach.

Julia B, Manager at Chy-An-Albany, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you Richard for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay in St Ives & thank you for choosing our hotel to stay during your time here in Cornwall.

You are quite right; we are on an elevated position overlooking Porthminster beach which is lovely from our Bistro & Sun lounge as well as our sea view rooms. The hotel is a 5 minute walk from the train station, but it is advised that if you have luggage then maybe a taxi would be helpful to you when arriving at the hotel.

I am sorry to hear that our deluxe room had not met your expectations, it is only our self-catering lodge & studio apartment that has its own fridge & self-catering facilities, but you are more than welcome to ask at reception in future if you require use of a fridge for medications, etc. Also you are correct; some of our rooms will have safety catches on as per our health & safety regulations with which is very important to comply. I am sure you can understand that the hotel takes guests & staff safety very seriously.

I am happy that you found my staff friendly and efficient. My staff members are of mixed ages as I do not think that it is relevant or fair when employing staff. It is a shame that you take this point of view as everyone needs to start somewhere & I think it is nice to be supportive of young people who actually want to learn & work hard as everyone has qualities to offer.

We offer a continental buffet at breakfast which is full of fresh, local ingredients & our guests are able to help themselves to bread & pastries as well as fresh fruit salad & our very own home made muesli which we find very popular. Our hot buffet provides our guests the choice of creating their own hot breakfast selection with always to option to order from our breakfast menu where you will find delicious dishes, which I would definitely recommend.

I take on board your comments regarding the classical music, but we try to cater for all guests favourites & find our local radio station targets most genres, whilst being informative of travel & events.

Thank you again for your time & comments on your recent stay.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

As a surprise treat for my birthday I was taken to St Ives. Staying here which was a lovely birthday treat. The main lounge area has a stunning view over St Ives and Porthminster beach. The rooms were very clean and functional. The breakfast was excellent, self service with plenty of choice and hot food kept hot. The staff are very polite and helpful. The hotel is suitable for families or couples, would recommend if you want to be just out of the hustle and bustle of St Ives but still close to wander in.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Leek, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Over-priced for the quality of the 'standard' double room we stayed in..no view at all out of window ( was advertised as view of garden at rear)..and above what i assume was noisy generator or air con / extractor for kitchen below which woke me up early the first morning. Good choice of breakfast ( although self-service mostly)...if only we had been allowed to finish it on our first morning as it was cleared away before we could return to our table after getting toast at the self-service table! Staff very apologetic..but this shouldn't happen. We were also astounded on the second morning to hear a member of staff giving customers a telling off for leaving lids off the food on the hot breakfast self-serve table! VERY fortunate they didn't say that to me! Young and poorly trained staff are to blame. Dirty cloth also left in our room after it was cleaned....and i agree with most negative comments on reviews unfortunately. Only plus side was the location and free parking. A shame because this could be a great hotel with a re-furb and more experienced staff.

Julia B, Manager at Chy-An-Albany, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Our standard rooms do not have sea views I am afraid but do have garden or varied views of the hotel grounds. Our deluxe rooms do offer full facing sea views, which if available guests are able to book. You are always welcome to ring the hotel directly when booking so we can try & accommodate your preferences.

I am sorry to hear that you experienced noises during the early hours, but thank you for bringing to my attention as I have been able to have my maintenance team investigate thoroughly.

I have spoken with the restaurant team, who genuinely apologises for the miscommunication during the service that day. It can become very busy depending on when & how many guests come down to breakfast at once, so we try our best to monitor where guests are during the time when they are helping themselves to the buffet. I am sorry for the inconvenience caused.

It is also worth stating that the member of staff in question is no longer working at the hotel, but thank you for your feedback as we try our best to offer the best possible service & that you enjoy your stay with us at the hotel.
Ewell, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Having just returned from a 3 night break staying in the self catering lodge, I felt it only right to share my views.
Upon arrival and settling in, I'm glad we chose this rather than a hotel room. It was a light and spacious style of accommodation with a nice terraced area and a view of the sea.
The lodge sleeps 6 people, but I feel that the accommodation (apart from the number of beds) was really only acceptable for 4 adults, as there were only 2 double rooms and one twin room.
There were 2 large couches in the lounge area that were more than satisfactory for 4 adults, but if there were 6 adults staying, 2 would have to sit on the floor.
The bath rooms and bedrooms were of a fantastic standard and the location was perfect for all the sights of St Ives.
We had a fantastic mini break and in my opinion the pricing of it is spot on.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We have just returned from a 5 day break staying at the Chy An Albany we almost cancelled as the weather forecast was not good but so glad we didn't the hotel was in a fantastic location for us a short stroll from the harbour. The rooms are clean and comfortable which is all we ask for and expect from a hotel. Breakfast was extremely good and even had nice coffee which is a bonus for me the Costa addict, all the staff were polite and friendly all in all this was good value for money we will most definitely be returning

Room Tip: We don't feel the need to pay extra for a room with a view we only sleep in it and get ready to...
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We have just returned from a 4 night break.We were celebrating my daughters 30th and my sons graduation and my daughters engagement after 15 years with a brill bloke!
We had a wonderful stay with very polite ,extremely attentive and helpful staff-and when you think of the very early starts ,long days and just some of the very rude gueststhey encouter I think they were wonderful.Nothing was too much trouble.
We had 3 rooms all varying in price.
I have seen bigger bathrooms but they were very clean and I have OCD!.They were serviced daily with clean towels etc again by hard working cleaners.
Views were amazing.Yes perhaps add a couple of extra tables to garden but we always enjoyed a drink there before eating.
Close to walk into St Ives with its amazing features.
My husband is from the area so we know how August is,be prepared for packed eateries etc
Dont visit Chy-An-Albany without eating in the amazing Lighthouse Bistro-You wont get any better from a top TV chef,its fantastic food.Breakfast is one of the nicest quality I have had anywhere.
Enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: Room 2-bigger double but no sea view. Room 25 Deluxe double with amazing views
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Chy-An-Albany? Share your experiences!