This is potentially a lovely hotel with a great view of the bay. The location is not for the weak-kneed as it is quite a slog up from central St Ive's, though it is somehow worth the climb and just up from both the bus and railway stations. The road crossing in front of the hotel is particularly dangerous and tricky, as traffic comes at you at speed from many directions at a complex sloping junction. This is not the hotel's responsibility, but a pedestrian crossing is badly needed here and they should join in with their neighbours to campaign for one.
When I booked with Booking.com my room was described as 'Deluxe' and my expectations were high as was the £690 for four nights price of the room (even by July/August standards?) However, apart from the panoramic view, the room was far from 'deluxe': quite small for two people, no fridge, windows that only opened a few inches (presumably for safety reasons, but this made the room hot and stuffy) and a fairly cheap mattress and the usual domestic range of TV channels. Essentially it was an ordinary guest bedroom. The en suite however was fine and the staff dealing with the bedroom were friendly and efficient and I left them a tip.
Staff were friendly and helpful, though they all seemed strangely young. The breakfast was disappointing: not much choice for those who don't like a full cooked breakfast which was itself a bit 'canteen basic': if you don't like your eggs fried you have to order them how you want which admittedly I didn't try. Also, beware - the musak is some appalling pop radio music which is pretty aggressive and ridiculous for those wanting a peaceful breakfast. Light classical? But please - no disco!
Essentially, the place is a bit tired and chintzy and needs to be made smarter and fresher. I can see that it is not aimed at me but more old fashioned couples and families who might still be fine with this sort of approach.
- Also Known As:
- Chy-An-Albany Hotel St Ives
- Chy-An-Albany Hotel
- Chy An Albany
- Chy An Albany St Ives
- Chy-An-Albany St Ives, Cornwall
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Providing comfortable accommodation with every amenity you would expect from a luxury award winning AA 3 star rated Hotel in Cornwall. The Chy an Albany occupies a wonderfully elevated site with magnificent views overlooking Portminster beach and St Ives Bay in Cornwall.Only a short walk into town and with ample free off road car parking.The hotel provides an ideal base to explore St. Ives and its renowned Tate Gallery, as well as the quaint harbour side, cobbled streets and collection of beautiful beaches that have captivated artists and tourists for over a century. The hotel is also just a short walk from the train station at the bottom of the hill (approximately 3 minutes). The new 'Lighthouse Bistro' is an art-themed restaurant, showcasing a wide range of art from local artists. The gallery-style restaurant offers contemporary dining using the very freshest local vegetables and produce, fish straight from the sea and Cornish made cheeses alongside exotic foods and wines from around the world. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline and Expedia so you can book your Chy-An-Albany reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.