“Expensive” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
UK
“Expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We were in St Ives for a wedding and stayed for three nights [£370]. We chose this hotel because it was near to the wedding venue.

Room was tiny and very warm. The window opened, but there was no through draft of air.

Bathroom was minute, almost had to step over the toilet to get to the sink and shower. Towels also very small, for the prize we paid I expected bath sheets!

Small TV, which after the first night did not work. Reported to reception to no avail.
Wifi available throughout, but spasmodic signal.

Breakfast was fine. The usual buffet fare, plus additional items [eg scrambled eggs & smoked salmon, kippers] at no extra charge.

Staff were very hardworking, pleasant and helpful.

Parking was a plus as it was free. Anyone who has visited St Ives will know the value of having parking included!

Would I stay again...possibly in a bigger room and I would look for cheaper deals elsewhere. This was not good value for money.

Room Tip: Pay even more for a larger room, they are available]
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Sadly, this hotel proved to be a major disappointment on our West Country Road Trip - especially as the room rate was exorbitant. We'd booked a room with a sea view and were shown to a low ceilinged anonymous room beneath reception with a nastily stained carpet. The receptionist offered to move us to another room without the view but we still paid £120 for a small tired room and minuscule bathroom with poor shower facilities. Breakfast was adequate and the dining room was cheerful, staff were also pleasant. Car parking was challenging: about 8 spaces at the front on a poor surface and a squeeze in the rear car park, too. Find somewhere else if you can!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Julia B, Manager at Chy-An-Albany, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you were disappointed with the room you booked, which was a standard room with partial sea view. Our deluxe sea view rooms are much bigger & have full facing sea views, in which I think you would have preferred. The staining on the carpet has been fixed by my maintenance & housekeeping team; I apologise for this as it is not of our usual high standards & something that we were trying to rectify as soon as possible after it had occurred.

Our car parking facilities are fairly big in comparison to other areas in St Ives, & we try our best to monitor the parking to ensure the car parks & space available is utilised to the best it can.

Thank you for your kind comments in regards to my staff, we endeavour to make each guests stay personal & enjoyable. We appreciate all comments left at the hotel as it is nice to have a take on our guests experience.
Bath, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

The staff are friendly and the place is clean but it is very tired looking. Other rooms could be better than my room 9 a 'standard room with a sea view' (from the side of the building). The place smells musty. The shower room was small and reminded me of a public swimming pool shower facilities. I have stayed in better £19 travelodges that are more up to date and relaxing.

When I saw the room I was instantly disappointed as it seemed like daylight robbery knowing the room was £140. I did complain and they took £20 off.

I would like to stress the staff are very nice people at the hotel and are very reasonable. The place is clean and the bed was comfy.

Unfortunately as well we experienced a bad night sleep as there was a plumbing problem. The noise from the running water through pipes and the staff trying to solve this problem kept us up until 00.15am and woke us at 6am. The staff did give us a fair discount in the end.

I don't like feeling ripped off but I do expect a certain standard at £140 and the place failed on that. People do like this place but it wasn't up to my standard.

Julia B, Manager at Chy-An-Albany, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you for providing us with your comments about your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the room type in which you had chosen when booking. I was pleased that you did approach me on arrival to explain your frustrations & it was a shame that we did not have any alternative room to offer as the hotel was then fully booked. Our deluxe sea room rooms are a lot bigger & superior which I think you would have preferred &; we grade our rooms in our different price & room bands to provide a fair comparison with the room views & sizes & are very competitive in regards to the St Ives area during the peak season.

It is most unfortunate that we experienced a leak late that evening next door to your room which affected the noise level near your room. My night porter tried his very best to fix the leak & reduce the noise levels during the night, but as you can understand it is difficult during the night. I agree that it was fair to discount your room rate accordingly & I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused.

I am pleased that you found the hotel & rooms clean & the bed comfy. My staff & I always try our very best to make people feel at home & am so I am glad that you found my staff nice & reasonable.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I must say that the staff were helpful and polite but the room was rather dated, crampt and the bed was uncomfortable. I paid extra for a sea view but I didn't get the view I expected. I stay in alot of hotels on business and I really felt that this one, was over priced for the quality of the accomodation.

Julia B, Manager at Chy-An-Albany, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Chy an Albany. I am sorry to hear that the hotel rooms were not what you expected. I understand that you were upgraded to one of our deluxe rooms at a reduced price. Our prices are competitive with room prices in St Ives for this time of year. I will investigate the bed as it is helpful to have feedback so we can makes improvements were necessary.
Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights and everything about this hotel was good except the service at breakfast. On our first morning down there were two young girls rushed off their feet. We were shown to a table that had not been cleaned. Didn't get asked if we wanted tea or coffee so in the end I had to go and ask one of the girls. There was no jug of milk when the tea came. The milk and juice ran out. We had to get our own cutlery. When we got back from the breakfast buffet one of the girls was clearing away my juice and tea! Similar service the next few days.
This did let down the hotel somewhat. Our room was quite big with a terrace and had really good views of the sea and beach. The location is great as we could leave our car in the hotel car park and walk into the town centre. Ideal as St Ives is not good for parking. Would still visit again though and next time would hope for a better breakfast experience!

Room Tip: A room at the front of the hotel is good as you get the sea view and it is still quiet
Swansea, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed at the Chy An Albany recently as part of a large group. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was delicious and the evening meal was excellent. Views from the hotel bar and lounge are fantastic. The bedrooms are very comfortable and have everything you need. We would certainly recommend the hotel to friends and would not hesitate to book there in the future.

C. Parker

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

The Chy - An - Albany is a great old-fashioned British sea-side resort hotel. Its location is perfect,perched slightly away from the main town but still within easy walking distance of the centre. There is a small car park at the front , and a larger one at the rear, so parking is ample.
The staff are friendly and attentive, and the room we had (No25) was cormfortable and well-appointed,and had a good view over the sea.There was a wedding function on in the evening ( which by the way we couldn't hear, so that was good!), so we didn't try the evening meal. Breakfast was fine - in addition to the buffet, the chef would cook to order. All in all, thoroughly recommended if you're looking to stay in St Ives

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Chy-An-Albany? Share your experiences!