“one night stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in St Ives
St Austell, United Kingdom
“one night stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

My husband booked a one night stay as a surprise treat for my birthday. The staff were helpful and courteous. The evening meal was excellent and so was breakfast the next day. Our room had a balcony overlooking the garden, it would have been nicer to have seaview, next time. The room was well appointed and comfortable. The towels were really fluffy. I had free chocolates waiting for me in our room. With our evening meal we received free champagne. I had the best sea bass I have ever had. We took coffee in the conservatory overlooking the beautiful beach. I definitely want to return to this excellent hotel.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Stoke on Trent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

We have just returned from a seven day hoilday at the Carbis Bay Hotel, via Saga. As soon as we arrived, we were made really welcome by very helpful and friendly staff. Our room - 116 - was comfortably equipped, with a luxury bathroom and shower.
The food was excellent throughout, with a wide variety of choice. Service was faultless, every member of staff being pleasant and helpful. The location of the hotel could not be better, the grounds are immaculate, and the coastal path walk into St Ives is so relaxing, with views across st Ives Bay.

Room Tip: The sea view rooms have a panoramic view across St Ives Bay.
Lichfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

Carbis bay hotel is very well situated, with its own beach of lovely fine sand. The hotel is well decorated and warm- this mattered as it was windy and wet some of our stay. The staff are welcoming and efficient on arrival and those who service the rooms do a good job. Rooms are well appointed, ours was at the back but the front ones with balconies must be fabulous. The conservatory provides a comfortable seating area at all times and was especially good for a quiet glass of wine and a chance to read the newspaper while waiting for an improvement in the weather. Our deal included an afternoon tea and a spa treatment both of which were lovely and a real treat. We only had one evening meal in the restaurant but this was excellent, though a bit "French" in quantity; we were glad we'd chosen some extra vegetables. Breakfasts were freshly prepared and of good quality; I was pleased to se black pudding and Cornish hogs pudding on offer. Some of the waiting staff gave the impression they may be trainees as they seemed to miss opportunities to remove empty plates when walking by empty handed. They'll no doubt get the idea when the season gets going! The only drawback this hotel has is that it lacks a lift; thought this was not an issue for us, I overheard two elderly visits comment that they would sadly be unable to come again as they could not cope with the stairs. Overall Carbis Bay is super and we'll be going again next year.

• Stayed March 2014
Dorset
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

We travel to Cornwall mainly St Ives area 3/4 times a year and have been doing so for several years. We have never stayed at this hotel but knew it had had a makeover recently so decided to take one of their offers. When we arrived mid afternoon we couldn't get parked anywhere and ended up just leaving the car on the edge of a path (not a parking space) which wasn't ideal as we had to keep checking in the hope we could move it to a proper space. We had booked a superior room and whilst the bedroom was pleasant the bathroom needed to be gutted. The sealant and grout were discoloured, the hinged shower screen had been permanently attached to the bath so wouldn't bend which made reaching the taps to run a bath difficult and you had to climb in and out at the end of the bath. There wasn't even a proper blind just a piece of material hanging at the window. I had emailed during the week to check if there would be bathrobes and they replied saying they are provided. However they weren't and when I asked at reception I was told I could collect my own from the spa which is a separate building. This is a first for me as although I don't mind I have always found other hotels to be more co-operative and wouldn't expect a guest to be doing this sort of thing. We had a meal there that evening which was very nice. Breakfast was also nice the next morning. We left the car at the hotel (having eventually been able to move it to a space) but came back at lunchtime in order to drive out to another beach for a couple of hours. When we returned at 3pm there was no space at all in any of the car parks (in fact cars were parked randomly all over the place) so we had to drive into St Ives in order to waste a couple of hours in the hope there would be a space when we got back. They should allocate a separate car park for paying guests who are staying. They had a Mother's Day lunch which was the problem however guests staying should have reserved
parking. We didn't dare move the car again until we left for home. Breakfast the following day was terrible. It took 25 minutes for anybody to take our order for tea/coffee and cooked (no apology). There were ample staff present to cope with the number of guests having breakfast however they were more intent on clearing tables and relaying them then attending to guests orders. Our breakfast eventually arrived after another 30 minutes. We did notice that other people were served before us even though they arrived later so there seems to be no system of first come first served.

In summary I wouldn't recommend this hotel as there are plenty of others that offer better service and value for money.

Room Tip: We we're in room 201 so avoid it if you like a nice bathroom.
Dorset, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

I was very pleased to receive an offer from Travelzoo for a £139 dinner, bed and breakfast deal at the Carbis Bay Hotel. With a day trip planned to Cornwall to visit my aging father that coincided with my wife's birthday, I thought this would make a nice surprise for her. I thought I'd call the hotel to ensure the date was available (a Tuesday in April) before buying the offer. The hotel suggested that they could save me some time by booking directly with them as they could match the Travelzoo offer. (Presumably this would save them the commission they would normally pay to Travelzoo.) The hotel offered to call back the next day to confirm availability. When they called 2 days later, they said they had availability but could only do the same deal at £199, which I politely turned down. So, having been attracted by the original Travelzoo offer, the hotel is now trying to squeeze another £60 out of me! After reflecting for a few minutes I called the hotel back to register my disgust. A discussion about room types then ensued which I believe was a bit of a smokescreen to try and justify their little stunt. She did offer to look at it again but the damage is done and I would not wish to stay there. The reason for this review is to make people aware of potentially bogus offers and also the way this hotel treats its prospective clientele.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Castle Hedingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

We have been coming here for many years and we always have a wonderful stay.
The hotel staff and food are tremendous and having to be gluten free the staff and kitchen were extremely helpful.
Also you couldn't wish for a nicer location.
Hope to be back next year.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Torquay, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

We stayed here on the 30th March for one night. We bought a package with Travel Zoo. To be honest it was not really worth the money we spent. The hotel is in a lovely setting and it has its own private beach. The room we had was a superior room. The décor was really lovely in the main room but the bathroom has certainly seen better days. There was black mould around the bath/shower and lots of sealant had got mould all over it. The evening dinner was okay. Nothing special and I had to return my main course as some of the vegetables were not cooked. On a higher note, the staff were really friendly and put a lot of effort into making your stay a good one. I do agree however with other reviews this is a little overpriced for the standard you receive. This one night cost £168.00 and that was with discount!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Carbis Bay Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!