“What more could you ask for!” 5 of 5 stars

Carlyon Guest House
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   18, The Terrace, St Ives, England   |
Ranked #65 of 103 St Ives B&B and Inns
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“What more could you ask for!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

We liked how close it was to the station and that it was only a short walk down the hill to everything in the town. The manager William was very friendly and welcoming, breakfast was delicious, and he made us bacon sandwiches to take with us because we were leaving and didn't have time for a full breakfast was great!! Highly recommend this guest house. Our room was lovely, comfy bed and the sea views were awesome. Will definitely stay here again.”

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Had a lovely time at this guest house with my kids, we had room 6 which was nice and big plenty of room for the 3 of us, breakfast was very nice and the young lady who served it to us was just a star, the room was cold to start but after speaking to William the manager he sorted us a heater out and some extra blankets. all in all a very nice guest house and only 2 mins away from the beach and town.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

My Partner and I stay at the Carlyon Guest House for 3 Nights in room 1A. Well what can I say " What a view from our room WOW!!" the room was nice and had every think that we needed. the staff are very nice and the young man who looked to be the manager was very helpful, helping us with our very big bags to our room and advising us where to go and eat and trips out, didn't get his name but hope he see this review. I will be returning here as a had a fab time away just wished that our stay was longer with you. I had a quick peek at the review before coming here and the bad reviews I would take no notices as a perfect get away B&B!!

Room Tip: Room 1A had a good view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I am a returning customer, who has stayed at the carlyon for three times this year. I was more then surprised to see the big change with regards to the standards and how clean the guest house is now! I was greeted by the manger William who I can not fault, he could not do enough for us. He was extremely welcoming and gave us everything and more we could ask for. The breakfast I feel has improved massively with the quality and presentation, and a wide range of choice. The rooms are small but are cosy and the views are outstanding.

I was looking back at the past reviews and before I would agree with most of the comments however now returning I feel that the new management have really shown the potential of what this guest house has to offer. Although there are still lots of improvements to be done the one I've missed would be to have a evening drink in the bar which is no longer here as it was great way to interact with other guest it's sad that its gone. But I shall return as I was more then impressed with the BIG chances. Well done and thank you for a outstanding stay!

Room Tip: Room 4 has stunning views!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for the weekend, and loved it. Our room was small, but very cosy and clean with comfortable bed and linen. The view from our window was fantastic! Will, the manager was very helpful and efficient, where nothing was too much trouble. Highly recommended!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Calstock, null, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

The location of Carlyon Guest House is lovely very easy walking distance into St Ives and on the sea front.
The double room we booked was extremely small and it didn't even have a proper double bed.
I don't think it it should have been considered as a double room a there was only enough room for one person so not a brilliant nights sleep.
The shower and room were clean.
Breakfast was disappointing, the scrambled eggs, smoked salmon and toast were obviously the cheapest poorest quality food possible.No choice of brown bread just horrid cheap white supermarket rubbish bread and sachets of cheap tasteless jam. All in all we wished we had gone camping and avoided this experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

I've had to put this month as my 'stay' on here to write a review but really I stayed here 2 years ago. Me and my new boyfriend (at the time) made the snap desicion to spend 5 days in st.ives as he had never visited and I was really keen on showing him the sights having been a number of times before. I've always had excellent stays in st.ives bitwas nervous booking a place on my own. Given we were tight for money we chanced upon carlyon and despite the mixed reviews at the time (creaky pipes and bed) we decided to give it a go as the location won us over. Yes the rooms are small but what do you expect from a building that size. I was fine....my 6'6" boyfriend struggled a little but only banged his head once! Was impressed with the cleanliness and the comfy bed. Not much of a view from our room but we didn't mind as we were only really sleeping there. No creaky pipes or hard bed, everything lovely and room was cleaned every day. There was a choice of breakfast in the morning overlooking the sea and Wayne (now not owner as I've seen) worked his socks off to cook you a fresh breakfast and provide you with cups of tea. Very polite quiet man who didn't bother you and did his job very well. All in all a lovely little find and we have both agreed that we would come again even with the change of management who we have yet to meet! Thank you for making my return trip and my boyfriend's first visit to st.ives enjoyable!

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Carlyon Guest House? Share your experiences!